U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 12:18 PM

149 posts, read 93,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
It was until everybody starting moving there...now it's a liberal, overcrowded, highly taxed mess.
That ends up subsidizing all the conservative states. Funny how that works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 12:28 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,210,617 times
In my opinion, no.

As someone who has lived there, no.

As someone who has family I visit there, no.

Its a nice state, but there are nicer places.

Based on your screen name, OP, I am not going to try and talk you out of it. But again, its nice enough. Its just not all that. The only people who tend to think it is are people who have never been there or people who have been their as tourists.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:29 PM

2,781 posts, read 1,628,289 times
No, it loses points in terms of affordability, taxation and bad government. It sure is beautiful though.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:33 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,160,832 times
I love California it is my favorite state to visit because of the variety of scenery, weather and interesting people but for living is not my favorite state. My favorite states or states I would live in are based on high paying jobs and reasonable cost of living and lower taxes but everyone has their own criteria for what is suitable for them.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:35 PM

21,318 posts, read 21,872,221 times
no way, mostly because of my nefarious brother-in-law; "Cooter" who lives out by Twentynine Palms in a trailer with about 60 cats and a mouthful of rotten teeth

Old 05-16-2017, 01:03 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,538,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California_Aspirer View Post
You say it's a strong contender. I am intrigued, which other states do you believe to be up there? I am British. I live in the UK, but USA is a country I have always wanted to visit and one day, hopefully live. I am always interested in which states are nice to visit/live. California would be on my list of must visit/live, but I'm not wealthy enough to live there yet, and plus there's the protocol of a visa etc.

I am also interested in Colorado, Arizona, Utah, Wyoming and Montana because I've always been interested in the wild west and the great plains, and on top of that those places have some extraordinary scenery. I hope you Americans realise how fortunate you are to live in such a great place.
Well, it's all subjective -- the states you're interested in aren't near the top of my list because I'm more attracted to civilization than I am to wide-open spaces. Because you're from one of the most densely populated parts of the world, I understand why places like Wyoming and Montana hold so much appeal to you. But they're not really my thing.

A few people have mentioned Massachusetts as one of the best states, and I agree with that. It often ends up near the top of those lists. New York is also up there, what with the greatest city in the U.S. and a lot of other great areas, too, which a lot of people from outside the U.S. don't even know about.

I've been to 38 states and I've found things to like about all of them. Except Nebraska -- sorry, Nebraska.

Old 05-16-2017, 01:13 PM

4,843 posts, read 2,975,563 times
Money no object? yes. Easily.

Old 05-16-2017, 01:32 PM

5,705 posts, read 5,100,628 times
I think most states could make an argument as being the "best" state, however I don't think any one state is the clear winner. Plus California and Texas are gigantic. Smaller states like Pennsylvania, New York, Maryland also could be top contenders, yet its kind of unfair to compare Maryland to California.

Old 05-16-2017, 02:03 PM

292 posts, read 283,918 times
California is one of the most beautiful states in the country but it has been run over as one of the most liberal states in the country with the highest sales tax and the highest income tax in the country.

Old 05-16-2017, 02:06 PM

39,332 posts, read 2,970,878 times
I love California & parts of it are not so expensive. No plans to move out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or