U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2017, 01:23 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,130,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
State lines are pretty arbitrary IMO. Outside of a few things like politics and taxes, I don't think State borders really matter as much as people on here make it seem. They're pretty much just imaginary lines in most cases (excluding Hawaii). I live in NYC and places like Niagara Falls, Buffalo, Albany, etc. are a completely different world to me and it doesn't really matter to me at all that I live in the State with those places since they are so far away and they mean nothing to me. Being in the same State as those places has zero effect on my life at all (again: politics aside).
I'm much more familiar and likely to identify with most places in NJ and even Connecticut before anywhere else in New York State. I think I'd have more in common with people from Jersey City than I would with somebody from Plattsburgh, NY. I'm a New Yorker (the city) first and a New Yorker (the State) second.

LA and San Francisco for example are well over 300 miles apart. I'm pretty sure the distance between NYC and Montreal in Canada is closer than that (but comparable). Same thing can be said about parts of Texas since it's even larger than CA.

It probably depends on where you live though. I think cities that are located directly on State borders and/or have metros that pass multiple State lines like NYC, DC, and Philly probably care less about State lines. Out West people seem to care about States a lot more. The biggest examples being California and Texas.
So having a great state doesn't matter ?

San Diego is a few hours from Los Angeles,
Orange County not too far at all
Anahiem ( Disneyland ) 30 minutes from the city
Highest quality of life in the country easily.

California, Texas and Florida are by far the best states so it's a reason those places have alot pride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 02:18 PM

2,123 posts, read 1,318,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
So having a great state doesn't matter ?

San Diego is a few hours from Los Angeles,
Orange County not too far at all
Anahiem ( Disneyland ) 30 minutes from the city
Highest quality of life in the country easily.

California, Texas and Florida are by far the best states so it's a reason those places have alot pride.
My message is for OP since (s)he's from the UK looking to possibly move to The US. I'm letting him/her know that State lines don't have much of an impact on life outside of politics. Also many people not from The US are unaware how large it is and just because LA and SF, or Houston and El Paso for example are in the same State doesn't mean they're near each other. I know you know probably know this, but a lot of people that aren't from The US do not realize this.

Florida? Really? I like Florida, but I'm not sure a lot of people would agree about that. What are you basing this on? Population? It seems you're stating your own personal opinions as fact. My personal favorite States are Hawaii and Nevada (tied), followed by California and then Colorado. But that's not a fact, that's my personal opinion. There's a difference.

Old 08-06-2017, 02:29 PM

77 posts, read 51,646 times
My Top 5.

1.) California
2.) Colorado
3.) Texas
4.) Arizona
5.) Florida

Honorable Mention: Hawaii (Only visited on for 10 days and loved it)

Old 08-06-2017, 02:46 PM

2,052 posts, read 1,038,284 times
15 American Cities with the Worst Air Pollution

Looks like it's the most polluted....lots of cars and people will do that.

Old 08-06-2017, 03:40 PM

I think California really needs to fix their early last call problem. I think California could have potential to become a top nightlife destination if the last call wasn't so damn early. As much as I don't like Albany or my State government sometimes (or a lot of the time lol), I guess I am really lucky to live in a State that doesn't restrict nightlife, since most States do shut down really early. Maybe I should be more grateful and appreciative.

New York, New Jersey, Florida, Illinois, Louisiana and Nevada are actually in the minority here. Some people may not care about nightlife that much, but for people like me an early last call is a dealbreaker. Basically there is no perfect State and you just have to find one that works for you. But whatever you decide OP I wish you good luck!

Old 08-06-2017, 03:55 PM
FBF

572 posts, read 694,971 times
I was surprised that not many Chicanos speak Spanish in California....I admit I used to be that way, but I making up for it by taking classes and learning Spanish from my parents (who immigrated from Mexico).

Old 08-07-2017, 12:19 AM

1,564 posts, read 1,130,512 times
Quote:
My message is for OP since (s)he's from the UK looking to possibly move to The US. I'm letting him/her know that State lines don't have much of an impact on life outside of politics. Also many people not from The US are unaware how large it is and just because LA and SF, or Houston and El Paso for example are in the same State doesn't mean they're near each other. I know you know probably know this, but a lot of people that aren't from The US do not realize this.

Florida? Really? I like Florida, but I'm not sure a lot of people would agree about that. What are you basing this on? Population? It seems you're stating your own personal opinions as fact. My personal favorite States are Hawaii and Nevada (tied), followed by California and then Colorado. But that's not a fact, that's my personal opinion. There's a difference.
Yes those cities aren't near each other but also not 7 hrs away either.

Like i said San Diego is a few hours from Los Angeles,
Riverside,Orange County, Anaheim, Long beach and alot of other great cities make up the So cal experience as well.

That's what makes the state great !! So Cal and Nor Cal are two totally different worlds but they both offer the best California has to offer.

San Francisco
Sacramento
Oakland
San Josť

You can fly from So cal to Nor cal within a hr and a half,
That's great in my opinion.

Old 08-07-2017, 12:45 AM

7,844 posts, read 12,362,726 times
California is great to visit and there are many places there I haven't visited yet but because of the high taxes, high cost of living, and the liberal politics (which contributes to the first two) I would never LIVE there. California would actually be in the lower half in terms of the states I'd live in.

I currently live in Louisiana and have also lived in West Virginia before. These two states plus South Carolina, North Carolina, and Tennessee are my favorite states to live in.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:30 AM

1,780 posts, read 1,249,202 times
Quote:
I think California really needs to fix their early last call problem. I think California could have potential to become a top nightlife destination if the last call wasn't so damn early. As much as I don't like Albany or my State government sometimes (or a lot of the time lol), I guess I am really lucky to live in a State that doesn't restrict nightlife, since most States do shut down really early. Maybe I should be more grateful and appreciative.

New York, New Jersey, Florida, Illinois, Louisiana and Nevada are actually in the minority here. Some people may not care about nightlife that much, but for people like me an early last call is a dealbreaker. Basically there is no perfect State and you just have to find one that works for you. But whatever you decide OP I wish you good luck!
Good news may be coming. Check out CA's LOCAL (Let Our Communities Adjust Late Night) Act.

Quote:
Early this year, California Senator Scott Wiener began a campaign for the 'Let Our Communities Adjust Late Night Act', which proposed that each municipality within the state be given authority to choose their last call hour, possibly pushing it back to as late as 4AM.

Previously, all venues throughout the entire state were limited to a 2AM last call for alcohol services. "Nightlife matters a lot, culturally and economically, and it's time to allow local communities more flexibility," Senator Scott Wiener argued.

The Senator's efforts have paid off as his proposed 4AM nightlife bill has officially passed in the Senate, allowing it to now move to Assembly for a review and a vote before reaching the governor for final word to "allow but not require local communities to let their bars and nightclubs serve alcohol until 4AM".
Source: California Senate has passed a bill allowing last call hours to extend to 4AM - News - Mixmag

Old 08-07-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
Good news may be coming. Check out CA's LOCAL (Let Our Communities Adjust Late Night) Act.

Source: California Senate has passed a bill allowing last call hours to extend to 4AM - News - Mixmag
This is good. I'm rooting for you guys!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or