U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2017, 09:17 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,123,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbus View Post
Well, with such a high cost of living, I would not even consider it. That means my hard-earned dollars don't mean as much.
I like how you just brush aside politics, as if that is irrelevant.
Most advanced---REALLY!
Pay what you weigh sir.

The same holds true for NYC,
Overcrowded, high cost of living, you are what you can afford.

Obviously 40 million people could care less.
Not trying to sound arrogant but I've traveled the country and no other state besides Florida comes close
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 09:20 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,123,980 times
Quote:
When you say "best", I think what you mean "highest growth rate". I don't want to live in CA of FL. In fact I know another person that would live anywhere except FL.

Also, when you say "highest quality of life" you probably mean "highest cost of living".
No i literally mean best state, highest quality of life in U.S
Gorgeous women everywhere
Nice beaches
Palm trees
Top notch weather
Most diverse scenery,mountains, desert, city life,
outdoor activities ,great food, i mean i could list 100 more things

Old 08-12-2017, 09:54 PM

5,547 posts, read 3,693,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
No i literally mean best state, highest quality of life in U.S
Gorgeous women everywhere
Nice beaches
Palm trees
Top notch weather
Most diverse scenery,mountains, desert, city life,
outdoor activities ,great food, i mean i could list 100 more things
OK, but at what cost? I agree, CA has a lot to offer. But the government is struggling to pay the bills, and if you don't have a great job, it is not anywhere near reasonable to live there. Highest quality of life in US depends on more than palm trees and weather.

Old 08-12-2017, 10:55 PM

4,938 posts, read 7,595,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
OK, but at what cost? I agree, CA has a lot to offer. But the government is struggling to pay the bills, and if you don't have a great job, it is not anywhere near reasonable to live there. Highest quality of life in US depends on more than palm trees and weather.
It's the 5th or 6th (depending on the day, with Great Britain) largest economy in the world. That it has pension liability issues as many other states doesn't change that, it challenges it, but it doesn't cripple an entity with this entrenched, powerful status. If you are amongst the educated professional class making the great salaries that this state's job sector provides, then in all likelihood you can afford to be a part of this great state's leadership and mission that it has laid out. And so too can a state with this huge economy and its unique Human Resources can also affect change where it feels it needs to

That there are millions of people who are struggling to pay there bills here only speaks to the larger issue of income inequality and corporate structure that one state cannot resolve but acknowledge that there is a draw here that cannot be denied and relates specifically to the huge population of this state.

Old 08-13-2017, 12:23 AM

2,474 posts, read 904,742 times
Quote:
A lot of the Western states have beautiful scenery that probably rivals anything you can see in CA.
I only know NM politics, not CA politics so I can't comment.
Well, California has the coastal range. On the other hand, northern Arizona has a lot of unique historical landmarks and the Saguaro wilderness. I haven't seen New Mexico - yet.

Old 08-13-2017, 12:57 AM

2,452 posts, read 1,280,275 times
California is one of three best states, the triumvirate: California, Florida, and Texas.

Old 08-13-2017, 01:01 AM

22,383 posts, read 27,574,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
15 American Cities with the Worst Air Pollution

Looks like it's the most polluted....lots of cars and people will do that.
You should have seen it about 35 years ago. Much worse.

Views like this were much less common back then; now are typical.

Old 08-13-2017, 09:09 AM
BMI

7,261 posts, read 4,499,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
...which falls under politics.

I think you're misunderstanding my point. Right, State lines are important when it comes to law/politics and taxes, which I didn't forget. Actually I specifically stated that, and you even quoted me

Where it's arbitrary is if I live in NYC for example, and I say that I love living in NY State because we have Niagara Falls or something like that. That's 400 miles away! Same thing can be said about LA and SF, or Reno to Las Vegas.

OTOH, let's say I want to go hiking in New Jersey Palisades. It's in another State, but directly across the bridge from NYC. You can walk there from Manhattan.
Most of NJ, CT, and even part of PA have more to do with where I live than the majority of NY State.
Good point, living in a state like New York you have many other states nearby to go to,
just a short drive away, even Canada.

New Jersey is next door, CT, VT, RI, MA, PA, DE, VA, DC, NH, MD, etc....

California.....there's Arizona, Nevada, and Oregon as your neighbors.
But depending where you are, they are far away.
Mexico is also a possibilty, but only if you are in SoCal.

Old 08-13-2017, 10:35 AM

12,587 posts, read 15,054,657 times
As a CA native, who has traveled all over the US and world, it's certainly a great state, but far from perfect. There are plenty of other places I could call home. But, I stay by choice as I have many friends and family here.

Old 08-13-2017, 11:53 PM

5,464 posts, read 3,297,445 times
If I was an adult and able to experience it back in the 80s and 90s, I would vote yes. Now, I give it a big fat no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or