U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2017, 03:13 PM

3,558 posts, read 2,578,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Funny thing is there are people in NYC say this same exact thing. It's a big world out there... you should try to go out and see some of it. That's the same thing I say to people here.
NYC is the only place outside of CA that I could see.

Everything besidrs CA and NYC is fly over country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 07:23 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,633,260 times
Lol

No

Old 08-18-2017, 10:13 AM

74 posts, read 38,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codederick View Post
That's not fair.

They're in the same state IN NAME ONLY. SoCal and NorCal, for all intents and purposes, are two entirely different states. Los Mangeles to Man Francisco is a 6 hour drive, minimum.

Using that logic, Connecticut is the best state in America, since you're 1 hour to NYC, 2.5 hours to Boston, 2.5 hours to Philadelphia, and 4 hours to DC.

That's 4 world class American cities.
Why is it not fair ? San Francisco is in California no ?
Los Angeles & San Diego is in California right ?

L.A to Frisco is an hour and a half away on the plane.The Highspeed railing project will connect us even more when it's complete.2 hours away on the train is what it's projected to accomplish.

So you wanna split Texas up as well because they share Dallas & Houston in the same state ? You literally can drive an entire day in Texas and still be in the same state.

I thought i spoke about this earlier,California is great because Nor Cal & So Cal are two different worlds but it's still California.

What logic am i using ? NYC is located in NYS
Philly is in Pennsylvania

Some states are bigger than others in land size but you can't break a state up just to fit your narrative.

I've never heard anyone in my life say Frisco and Los Angeles are in two different states lol lol lol

Sounds like California is so great that you wanna separate it for any other state to have a chance.

Old 08-18-2017, 10:18 AM

101 posts, read 54,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
NYC is the only place outside of CA that I could see.

Everything besidrs CA and NYC is fly over country.
Hey we don't want you to escape quarantine.

Old 08-18-2017, 10:20 AM

74 posts, read 38,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiedean1878 View Post
Texas
Can't argue with your opinion.

Texas represents the big 3 in America

California
Texas
Florida seems to be the general consensus far as states go.

Old 08-18-2017, 10:32 AM

30,989 posts, read 13,558,751 times
Quote:
That's not fair.

They're in the same state IN NAME ONLY. SoCal and NorCal, for all intents and purposes, are two entirely different states. Los Mangeles to Man Francisco is a 6 hour drive, minimum.

Using that logic, Connecticut is the best state in America, since you're 1 hour to NYC, 2.5 hours to Boston, 2.5 hours to Philadelphia, and 4 hours to DC.

That's 4 world class American cities.
"Los Mangeles" "Man Francisco" geezus

Old 08-18-2017, 01:04 PM

287 posts, read 167,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
"Los Mangeles" "Man Francisco" geezus
This will clear things up, haha:

Why Los Angeles Is The Worst City For Men

Old 08-18-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Funny thing is there are people in NYC say this same exact thing. It's a big world out there... you should try to go out and see some of it. That's the same thing I say to people here.
Yeah, he really needs to get out and explore. He's the same dude who said you NEED a car in NYC, lol. As someone who has lived on the east coast, Midwest, and west coast, including California (LA), I'm uniquely qualified to say California is one of the least appealing states to live in America. The "bang for your buck" is atrocious. The only city in CA with a proper logistical layout (compact, walkable, and strong public transit) is San Francisco. Have fun paying $3,000 for a studio apartment there.

The one thing that I do like about Cali (both SoCal and NorCal) is the nature. There is a great variety of landscapes in California. Hilly, mountainous, Pacific Ocean, can go skiing/snowboarding in the dumpy Inland Empire.

Old 08-18-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefCurry View Post
Why is it not fair ? San Francisco is in California no ?
Los Angeles & San Diego is in California right ?

L.A to Frisco is an hour and a half away on the plane.The Highspeed railing project will connect us even more when it's complete.2 hours away on the train is what it's projected to accomplish.

So you wanna split Texas up as well because they share Dallas & Houston in the same state ? You literally can drive an entire day in Texas and still be in the same state.

I thought i spoke about this earlier,California is great because Nor Cal & So Cal are two different worlds but it's still California.

What logic am i using ? NYC is located in NYS
Philly is in Pennsylvania

Some states are bigger than others in land size but you can't break a state up just to fit your narrative.

I've never heard anyone in my life say Frisco and Los Angeles are in two different states lol lol lol

Sounds like California is so great that you wanna separate it for any other state to have a chance.
The point I'm trying to make is that if your criterion for what makes a state the best is proximity to major cities then Connecticut, as insane as that sounds, is the best state in the US (and slaughters Cali), since you're within driving distance of 4 major cities (NYC, Boston, Philly, and DC). And if you're going to add short flights in the mix, I can add in 2 more major cities (Atlanta and Chicago).

Last edited by Codederick; 08-18-2017 at 01:39 PM..

Old 08-19-2017, 12:23 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,633,260 times
Quote:
Yeah, he really needs to get out and explore. He's the same dude who said you NEED a car in NYC, lol. As someone who has lived on the east coast, Midwest, and west coast, including California (LA), I'm uniquely qualified to say California is one of the least appealing states to live in America. The "bang for your buck" is atrocious. The only city in CA with a proper logistical layout (compact, walkable, and strong public transit) is San Francisco. Have fun paying $3,000 for a studio apartment there.

The one thing that I do like about Cali (both SoCal and NorCal) is the nature. There is a great variety of landscapes in California. Hilly, mountainous, Pacific Ocean, can go skiing/snowboarding in the dumpy Inland Empire.
If Arizona had a beach it would have just as much variety... same goes for New Mexico. In fact Arizona had all climates on Earth except for oceanic which to be fair California doesn't have that either (only coastal Oregon/Washington/SE Alaska have that in the US). And no, Seattle isn't oceanic either, it's actually considered Mediterranean. It's amazing how diverse Mediterranean classification is at the end of the day.

Minus the lack of ocean the Southwest still has lakes and skiing and close proximity to those things. We don't have walkable layouts or public transit--like LA--but we aren't paying $2000/month or more on a 1 bedroom apartment. Go eight miles in or so from the SoCal coast and it might as well be Arizona or Las Vegas. Sometimes it's worth giving one thing up so you can live a good life.

This is why I won't live in California. I'm just not in the 1% and I'd rather not have roommates for the rest of my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or