U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-20-2017, 12:20 AM
 
Location: M I N N E S O T A
14,800 posts, read 17,705,729 times
Reputation: 9029

Advertisements

Yes, it is a true powerhouse... largest economy... largest population... two world class cities and the entertainment capital of the western world.

on top of all that just throw in some diverse topography, climates, an ocean, chain of islands and you got yourself a pretty amazing state.

where i live we get all happy and giddy every time we get our state mentioned on some random tv show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-20-2017, 12:32 AM
 
Location: 352
5,122 posts, read 3,879,218 times
Reputation: 3491
The staying power of this thread is incredible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2017, 08:43 AM
 
Location: Downtown Phoenix, AZ
18,924 posts, read 6,850,118 times
Reputation: 5841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
If Arizona had a beach it would have just as much variety... same goes for New Mexico. In fact Arizona had all climates on Earth except for oceanic which to be fair California doesn't have that either (only coastal Oregon/Washington/SE Alaska have that in the US). And no, Seattle isn't oceanic either, it's actually considered Mediterranean. It's amazing how diverse Mediterranean classification is at the end of the day.

Minus the lack of ocean the Southwest still has lakes and skiing and close proximity to those things. We don't have walkable layouts or public transit--like LA--but we aren't paying $2000/month or more on a 1 bedroom apartment. Go eight miles in or so from the SoCal coast and it might as well be Arizona or Las Vegas. Sometimes it's worth giving one thing up so you can live a good life.

This is why I won't live in California. I'm just not in the 1% and I'd rather not have roommates for the rest of my life.
I guarantee that you don't have to be in the top 1% to live on your own in California, that is an exaggeration.

I've been wanting to move to Southern California, but recently changed my focus to the Bay Area, after looking at wages in my field in both metros vs COL; and in the Bay Area, I can make over 20% more than in Greater LA, with only slightly higher rent prices, so higher QOL up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2017, 11:16 AM
 
149 posts, read 63,711 times
Reputation: 84
Best state is California of course

Now Best city is NYC unless San Francisco can somehow overthrow Manhattan lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2017, 11:23 AM
 
149 posts, read 63,711 times
Reputation: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codederick View Post
The point I'm trying to make is that if your criterion for what makes a state the best is proximity to major cities then Connecticut, as insane as that sounds, is the best state in the US (and slaughters Cali), since you're within driving distance of 4 major cities (NYC, Boston, Philly, and DC). And if you're going to add short flights in the mix, I can add in 2 more major cities (Atlanta and Chicago).
Well he does have a point.You cant change the narrative.

Florida has South Fla & North Fla,Also two different areas but still the same state.

I think a place is great because of what it has to offer.

If we're talking cities than NYC is #1 in my opinion but if California isn't the best state than what is ?

Sometimes it's better to be truthful instead of trying to keep a debate going.No bias here at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2017, 01:26 PM
 
Location: The Gold Coast, Chicago
287 posts, read 167,731 times
Reputation: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I guarantee that you don't have to be in the top 1% to live on your own in California, that is an exaggeration.

I've been wanting to move to Southern California, but recently changed my focus to the Bay Area, after looking at wages in my field in both metros vs COL; and in the Bay Area, I can make over 20% more than in Greater LA, with only slightly higher rent prices, so higher QOL up there.
SF is a no-brainer then.

Another thing you need to keep in mind is the mondo disparity in transportation costs.

In LA, you need a car. That's at least $6,000 year (car/insurance/gas/maintenance). In SF, there's no need for a car. It's the 2nd most walkable city in America and has the 2nd best public transit. You can get a monthly pass to the BART train for about $1,000 year. Saves ya $5,000/year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2017, 01:28 PM
 
Location: The Gold Coast, Chicago
287 posts, read 167,731 times
Reputation: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCkidd View Post
Well he does have a point.You cant change the narrative.

Florida has South Fla & North Fla,Also two different areas but still the same state.

I think a place is great because of what it has to offer.

If we're talking cities than NYC is #1 in my opinion but if California isn't the best state than what is ?

Sometimes it's better to be truthful instead of trying to keep a debate going.No bias here at all.
Take another gander at his point.

His whole argument lies in what state has access to major cities.

You have access to a lot more major cities in CT (NYC/Boston/Philly/DC...add in ATL/CHI if you include short flights) than CA (LA/SF...maybe SD and LV, but I don't believe either is a major city but it's debatable). Fact.

That's 6 vs. 2-4.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2017, 12:24 PM
 
149 posts, read 63,711 times
Reputation: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codederick View Post
Take another gander at his point.

His whole argument lies in what state has access to major cities.

You have access to a lot more major cities in CT (NYC/Boston/Philly/DC...add in ATL/CHI if you include short flights) than CA (LA/SF...maybe SD and LV, but I don't believe either is a major city but it's debatable). Fact.

That's 6 vs. 2-4.
That's true, but that's a region thing not state.

His argument is California has 2 world class cities which is correct.Proximity to another city is important but what i can find in one state won't be available in the next state.

I'd personally rank NYS a top 5 state based on the fact that it has NYC.

Remember we're not talking cities,we're talking states.
California has a north region and south region but no matter how any of us feel it's still the same state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2017, 01:37 PM
 
1,593 posts, read 831,682 times
Reputation: 1216
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCkidd View Post
That's true, but that's a region thing not state.

His argument is California has 2 world class cities which is correct.Proximity to another city is important but what i can find in one state won't be available in the next state.

I'd personally rank NYS a top 5 state based on the fact that it has NYC.

Remember we're not talking cities,we're talking states.
California has a north region and south region but no matter how any of us feel it's still the same state.
But now we're just arguing about lines on a map. Is San Francisco more connected to LA than Philly or New York to DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2017, 01:37 PM
 
Location: The Gold Coast, Chicago
287 posts, read 167,731 times
Reputation: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
But now we're just arguing about lines on a map. Is San Francisco more connected to LA than Philly or New York to DC.
This!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top