U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 12:23 PM

1,593 posts, read 834,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefCurry View Post
Yes the diversity of California is bar none.
San Francisco to LA is what Philly is to Boston or New York. One happens to be in the same state but its not like you're average Joe in San Francisco is rooting for the Dodgers. Or if Amazon did create it's H2 in LA does the average person in San Francisco says "yup put that in the win column"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 12:25 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,163,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I do not like California, its government, its culture, nor its people.

I take politics out when I look at states. That is why almost all Dem hates Texas and Florida and almost all GOP hate ILL, NY, MA and CA.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:26 PM

287 posts, read 168,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I do not like California, its government, its culture, nor its people.
I like you. You're gonna love my thread.

Why Los Angeles Is The Worst City For Men

Old 09-19-2017, 11:01 PM

9,471 posts, read 12,311,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California_Aspirer View Post
Taking into consideration the cost of living and general standard of life. If it is not, then which state/s would you consider better?
California is the richest most powerful state in the United States of America , however your best state is determined by your own private criteria of what the best state should be.....

Old 09-19-2017, 11:04 PM

287 posts, read 168,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
California is the richest most powerful state in the United States of America , however your best state is determined by your own private criteria of what the best state should be.....
That's a silly criterion.

California has, by far, the highest population of any state in America. It's the wealthiest state by default.

What California also has is the highest poverty rate of any state in the US, which is not influenced by population.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckde.../#64ab782112d9

Old 09-19-2017, 11:16 PM

12,351 posts, read 7,510,898 times
I've lived in California (a state ruled by short-sighted populist politics), and in a state ruled almost completely by open-market economics -- Nebraska. There is no question whatsoever that personal and financial betterment, as well as the ability to live comfortably, was more easily attained in the latter; but of course, that goal is completely out-of-sync with the "trendy" or "bi-coastal" mentality peddled by the media.

So it all boils down to a matter of personal desires; Omaha isn't everybody's kind of town but it worked for me.

Old 09-19-2017, 11:26 PM

9,471 posts, read 12,311,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA-CHI-CO View Post
Seems like CA has been losing a lot of upper and middle class population to Texas, so it's obviously on some peoples' minds.
Texas is on the minds of California middle-class and no one else......

Old 09-19-2017, 11:51 PM

3,013 posts, read 1,645,209 times
[quote=California_Aspirer;49564498]

I need to get back and visit California again for an extended period so I can really explore the state, rather than just stick to LA, it's touristy areas and the beaches. My ultimate goal is to live in California, but if not California than Oregon or New Mexico. Does anybody here live in New Mexico, and how does it compare to California?[/QUOTE]

I grew up in LA and currently live there. My aunt has lived in Santa Fe, New Mexico for 30 years.

California and New Mexico are VERY different. They call N.M. "The Land of Enchantment" because it is a beautiful state. Far more rural and quiet and landlocked as compared to California. The cost of living is much less in New Mexico but getting a good paying job is also harder.

Old 09-19-2017, 11:58 PM

204 posts, read 163,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California_Aspirer View Post
Taking into consideration the cost of living and general standard of life. If it is not, then which state/s would you consider better?
No. Other than natural scenery in the National Parks located in Califorinia and in its beaches.

Cost of Living: California is at least $108 to the hundred dollars in terms of cost of living. Mississippi, the lowest cost of living state of the 50 states plus D.C, is 85 dollars to the 100 dollars in terms of cost, which means things cost 82 dollars for every 100s worth of goods at the U.S. Average. In Mississippi, every hundred dollars is worth at least 115 statewide due to lower population density and other factors that lower the cost of living locally. Just as it would between rural England and London proper.

Natural Scenery: California might beat out every other state on this one, especially with their variety of climates and scenery. I will contend, however, that they have destroyed much of their valuable farmland and built it up into a sprawling mess in Southern California and in parts of the Bay Area. Nonetheless, there are many very well built cities, good natural landscape, and a variety that might not be found in one area anywhere else in the world. Yosemite, Badlands, Redwood Forest, Big Sur, Beaches Galore! California take the cake on this one.

Most else I can't say, since I don't have much experience in CA yet.

I hear taxes are really high, but I can't say any comparison between the E.U.

To me, California is too congested, too heavily taxed, too left-wing for me, doesn't seem to have as much opportunity outside its largest cities, and the cost is through the roof. Just a perception of mine.

States like Maine, Minnesota, New Hampshire, and Colorado seem to have higher quality of life with more reasonable cost of living. Quality of life being education, amenities, housing options, etc. I would recommend those states to you, based on this report on quality of life:https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings and this report on cost of living:http://https://www.missourieconomy.o...ost_of_living/

Old 09-20-2017, 02:08 AM

1 posts, read 304 times
I would say so yes. I have family all over California. Been many times. Wish I could live there but it's too expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or