U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 01:32 PM

448 posts, read 421,262 times

Advertisements

Yes, California is the best, most beautiful state in the US. The topography, geography, diversity is amazing. Notice a trend among the people that will hate on CA in this thread which includes complaints of: cost of living/taxes, liberal/crime,overcrowded, etc.

To them, I have only a few things to say:
It is expensive. But it is worth it.
Who cares about CA being liberal? Not every state needs to adhere to your conservative values.
There's crime everywhere yet CA's crime rates, especially among the larger cities, is no worse than any other area.
Overcrowded in LA and The Bay, yes. But that just speaks at how popular CA is among tourists, locals, and people moving in. Yet, there are places you can live where it is not overcrowded (San Diego, Sacramento, etc). Plus, this just adds to our diversity.
Quit hating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 01:45 PM

406 posts, read 287,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latino_esq View Post
Yes, California is the best, most beautiful state in the US. The topography, geography, diversity is amazing. Notice a trend among the people that will hate on CA in this thread which includes complaints of: cost of living/taxes, liberal/crime,overcrowded, etc.

Who cares about CA being liberal? Not every state needs to adhere to your conservative values.
There's crime everywhere yet CA's crime rates, especially among the larger cities, is no worse than any other area.
Overcrowded in LA and The Bay, yes. But that just speaks at how popular CA is among tourists, locals, and people moving in. Yet, there are places you can live where it is not overcrowded (San Diego, Sacramento, etc). Plus, this just adds to our diversity.
Quit hating.
It's not that CA is just liberal..it's to the point where they care much more about foreigners, specifically refugees and illegal immigrants without papers, than the safety of the residents that dump so much of their money into the state, and they don't get much back for it. Yes, California is in fact a beautiful, diverse state with some great people, culture and food. Nothing wrong with that. But the extreme, over the top, in your face liberal attitudes of the politicians there, combined with ridiculous regulations, and an absurd cost of living does not, at least in my opinion, make living there worth it.

And just a side note, most conservatives, unlike over the top liberals, don't feel the need to shove their values in everybody's face. Just look at the numerous whining parades that have taken place in the major liberal cities since they lost the election. Just a thought

Old 05-17-2017, 02:36 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,878,001 times
Quote:

Quit hating.
I agree that bashing California because of its political lean is pretty stupid. A states political lean is such a big worry here for some reason. It's the regulations that matter, and red and blue states both have their faults. And true, crime is everywhere. CD overblows it.

That said, Cali's housing regulations are out of control. Houston has an apartment surplus because it's so easy to build, which keep rents down. I read that in San Fran, if you want to build a residential tower over 10 stories, not only can it take years to get approved, but you also have to include a parking garage, so many developers just decide to cap it at 9 or below, which limits supply. I may be wrong, but that is what I saw when researching during that Yelp girl controversy. And taxes are also out of control.

That said, there's no denying California's popularity. I may finally get to visit next month and I'm so excited. You're right, you get what you pay for - but you only get so much. You get great weather, great views, and diverse people and food, but sitting in traffic all day or having to live 60 miles out of the city because of living costs is not just not worth it for many. Apparently beach trips are not as common as they look on TV and the crowds really can be a problem in some instances - like the beach.

I don't know what state is "best" because no one state is really a clear #1 to me. I'm more of a city person. Cali still has some issues, but it's an easy magnet for culture, popularity, activities, and scenery.

Last edited by Jandrew5; 05-17-2017 at 02:57 PM..

Old 05-17-2017, 02:40 PM

17,219 posts, read 19,521,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California_Aspirer View Post
Taking into consideration the cost of living and general standard of life. If it is not, then which state/s would you consider better?
I prefer states like Maryland, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Virginia and Massachusetts for their richness and proximity to the population centers and history of the United States, Canada and Western Europe.

But California is nice as well. The U.S. is blessed with a lot of rich and beautiful places. Since your mind is already set on California, I'd say follow your dreams and the best of luck to you.

Old 05-17-2017, 05:29 PM

1,826 posts, read 1,248,326 times
Quote:

Quit hating.
Thing is, what you call amazing isn't what everyone wants. I personally love diversity, but not everyone does, and it isn't like California is the only diverse state. Expensive but worth it is your opinion, again, on both parts.

The reason I used poverty, income inequality, and the school systems is that the general populace tends to have a very clear opinion on them and what is considered "good;" low poverty, low income inequality, good primary and secondary schools. Unlike geography and topography (isn't this just a subset of the first?); sure, maybe you like the geography of the state, but not everyone does. I never mentioned crime because I do not know how bad crime is in the state.

Old 05-17-2017, 06:42 PM

2,097 posts, read 1,521,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California_Aspirer View Post
Taking into consideration the cost of living and general standard of life. If it is not, then which state/s would you consider better?
Everyone will have their own opinion. My opinion is NO, I think it's far from the best state for a ton of reason.

Waaay to many liberals for me. Super expensive. Far from home. Those are just a few key things I don't like it. Again, personal preference/opinion. I currently live around San Francisco and hate it.

I cannot say the best state, because I've only lived in a couple. Home for me will always be Kentucky, and I miss it everyday.

Old 05-17-2017, 06:47 PM

35,137 posts, read 32,118,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
It was until everybody starting moving there...now it's a liberal, overcrowded, highly taxed mess.
Yep, counting the days until exit. The politics here suck. That's just getting started. The hole we are in with public employee pay and pensions is just starting to get to the point there is no fixing it. Something massive will have to happen with either taxes or pension reductions. The average home price in my City is 600 thousand. WTH. If you don't include condos or dumps it's more like 750.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:54 AM

17,649 posts, read 4,055,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexxxcblac View Post
Arizona !
I believe Arizona is the best state in the union.

Quality of life, COL, the attitude of the populace , road conditions, sunshine, jobs, when you add everything up Arizona is definitely in the conversation!
I love Arizona but its not my favorite.Its actually tied for 2nd place for me.I was so impressed with yalls state when I went there a number of years ago.I absolutely love Arizona.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:07 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,538,178 times
Quote:
Yeah, I never understood the whole "so-and-so place is expensive, so it sucks" argument. We live in a capitalist society. States are expensive because they're desirable. You may not be able to afford to live here, but that doesn't make a place bad -- you can't afford it because too many people think it's great. There are loads of places I can't afford, but I still love them.

I also don't buy that strict building regulations fuel high prices. That's probably true to a small extent, but ultimately it's still driven by demand. New York City has tons and tons and tons and tons of housing and I still couldn't afford it in the end. And that goes double for its sprawly suburbs, which are ridiculously priced even though anyone can basically build anything. Nassau County, where I grew up, is completely unaffordable even though it's just wall-to-wall housing for 450 square miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post
And just a side note, most conservatives, unlike over the top liberals, don't feel the need to shove their values in everybody's face.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:12 AM

10,425 posts, read 8,776,219 times
Not by a long shot...I would put it somewhere near the bottom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or