Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 11:37 AM

214 posts, read 327,852 times

Advertisements

Taking into consideration the cost of living and general standard of life. If it is not, then which state/s would you consider better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 11:59 AM

23,690 posts, read 9,256,561 times
I know lots of people love California however Texas is my favorite state for various reasons.California is too pricey in my opinion.I like the climate better in Texas anyways.I love to visit California but I think I would like living in Arizona and New Mexico more than California.I also would not mind living in Oklahoma and Arkansas if it werent for tornadoes.Texas has always been my favorite state but its not everyones cup of tea.California is way too crowded and has too much traffic for me.I also like that Texas has no state income tax.I plan on living in the Grand Canyon State and America's Land of Enchantment someday but I have considered California before.However, I ruled it out.Calif is just not for me.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:15 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,135,258 times
Taking into account cost of living, then no, it's definitely not the best state. Not sure what is, but not California. Discounting cost of living, it's a strong contender.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:21 PM

214 posts, read 327,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
Taking into account cost of living, then no, it's definitely not the best state. Not sure what is, but not California. Discounting cost of living, it's a strong contender.
You say it's a strong contender. I am intrigued, which other states do you believe to be up there? I am British. I live in the UK, but USA is a country I have always wanted to visit and one day, hopefully live. I am always interested in which states are nice to visit/live. California would be on my list of must visit/live, but I'm not wealthy enough to live there yet, and plus there's the protocol of a visa etc.

I am also interested in Colorado, Arizona, Utah, Wyoming and Montana because I've always been interested in the wild west and the great plains, and on top of that those places have some extraordinary scenery. I hope you Americans realise how fortunate you are to live in such a great place.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:31 PM

149 posts, read 152,228 times
I would say so yes. I have family all over California. Been many times. Wish I could live there but it's too expensive.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:32 PM

149 posts, read 152,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California_Aspirer View Post
You say it's a strong contender. I am intrigued, which other states do you believe to be up there? I am British. I live in the UK, but USA is a country I have always wanted to visit and one day, hopefully live. I am always interested in which states are nice to visit/live. California would be on my list of must visit/live, but I'm not wealthy enough to live there yet, and plus there's the protocol of a visa etc.

I am also interested in Colorado, Arizona, Utah, Wyoming and Montana because I've always been interested in the wild west and the great plains, and on top of that those places have some extraordinary scenery. I hope you Americans realise how fortunate you are to live in such a great place.

I would recommend the Northeast (Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Washington) and California (San Francisco, Los Angeles), outright.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:32 PM

368 posts, read 449,773 times
No.. far from it.
The only good thing about California in my opinion is the scenery/climate. I can name plenty states with a more favorable location, economy, and demographics/culture.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:34 PM

7,274 posts, read 5,240,607 times
I've lived in Massachusetts my entire life, so I can only speak of my home state and not the others. Just because I can read on the internet how much people love their states (CA for example) means nothing to me. Without real life living experience or a long term stay in a state I have no opinion.

I've spent extended time in only two other states, FL and HI. I absolutely loved Oahu, but not the thought of being stuck on an island where my longest drive would be around the island in several hours versus 3,000+ miles driving across country. You can have FL, as after a week I'm ready to leave.

Thus, MA is the best state in the U.S.

Old 05-16-2017, 01:10 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,069,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California_Aspirer View Post
Taking into consideration the cost of living and general standard of life. If it is not, then which state/s would you consider better?
No. I can think of several states that are better with little controversy; Colorado, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nebraska, Utah, Washington.

Then there are all the other states that are better, depending on what an individual likes. I mean, California is one of the worst states in the nation in terms of income inequality, poverty, and primary and secondary education. Yeah, if you can afford to live comfortably in one of the areas where that is not the case, then California is a great place to live, but that is true for every single state.

Old 05-16-2017, 01:10 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,278,301 times
It was until everybody starting moving there...now it's a liberal, overcrowded, highly taxed mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.