Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2017, 12:15 AM

30,370 posts, read 19,162,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Not with California Taxes my girlfriend's dad is a retired physician and he moved out of California because he was making 400k and after taxes he barely had enough to buy a decent house that was not a starter house. I would only move to California if I made 800k to 1.5 mill a year.
You would have to clarify where in California you're referring to...I did say $500K and up for Bay area. I really like several areas of California but not enough to pay the taxes and overall cost of living there. Like you, I probably wouldn't live there if under about $750K/yr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 01:07 AM

3,814 posts, read 4,011,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Illinois is also terribly mismanaged but I find the people here to be better than Californians.
The people of Illinois are the worst part about it. There is a reason Chicago is the only city im the north hat Martin Luther King could not make head way. Most of those punk teenagers who threw bricks at him are alive and well today, still living in Chicago.

It's the most segregated city I have seen in my entire life.

Californians are just much less voilent, more progressive, more interesting, more dynamic, more non conformist, and more active than a normcore place like Illinois.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:56 AM

11,054 posts, read 12,452,032 times
I actually really hate California. The people mostly.

Old 06-26-2017, 05:30 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
If making over $200K, Socal is a great spot anywhere from Ventura down to San Diego.

If making over $300K, Santa Barbara

If making over $500K, Bay area is nice.

If between $100K to $200K Phoenix and Tucson

If in the $200K range, Denver is another good spot

If under $100K, Tennessee, Arkansas or Florida

80% of American households are under the $100k mark.

Old 06-26-2017, 05:34 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,877,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
You would have to clarify where in California you're referring to...I did say $500K and up for Bay area. I really like several areas of California but not enough to pay the taxes and overall cost of living there. Like you, I probably wouldn't live there if under about $750K/yr.
Fair Enough it was West LA and it is expensive SF is ridiculous, COASTAL California, the rest of California is not as bad I agree like Fresno and Sacramento and such.

Old 06-26-2017, 05:40 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,809,130 times
It's probably my personal favorite state but I'll admit it has it's issues. The Bay Area is extremely expensive and the entire state itself is priced out with very high income taxes for all. There's a reason why the tech industry is flocking down to L.A. because of insane COL up in the Bay Area. Not that L.A. COL is good, but it's managed better and isn't as overhyped.

Texas is probably one of the better run states "bang for your buck" wise, if you ask me.

Old 06-26-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
It's probably my personal favorite state but I'll admit it has it's issues. The Bay Area is extremely expensive and the entire state itself is priced out with very high income taxes for all. There's a reason why the tech industry is flocking down to L.A. because of insane COL up in the Bay Area. Not that L.A. COL is good, but it's managed better and isn't as overhyped.

Texas is probably one of the better run states "bang for your buck" wise, if you ask me.
I totally agree California is the the best state to live in if you have unlimited resources or a net worth over 10 million. New York is second. I am not a big Texas guy, it is a great state and many people move to Texas for jobs and they have a good economy but their weather with the heat and humidity wears me out man. I like Colorado as well and TN, NC and VA.

Old 06-26-2017, 06:17 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,809,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
I totally agree California is the the best state to live in if you have unlimited resources or a net worth over 10 million. New York is second. I am not a big Texas guy, it is a great state and many people move to Texas for jobs and they have a good economy but their weather with the heat and humidity wears me out man. I like Colorado as well and TN, NC and VA.
I hear ya - NY I think is completely overrated though. Even more expensive than CA, worse quality of life. And the upstate areas are fine during the summer but nothing compared to CA that would be year round and more scenic.

In CO, we have it good but COL is rising and yeah, it might be the "Mountain West" but it isn't so far removed culturally from the Plains states. In Texas, yeah, better be ready for year round heat lol

Old 06-26-2017, 06:43 PM

33 posts, read 44,074 times
If you include COL... probably Georgia.

Old 06-26-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
I hear ya - NY I think is completely overrated though. Even more expensive than CA, worse quality of life. And the upstate areas are fine during the summer but nothing compared to CA that would be year round and more scenic.

In CO, we have it good but COL is rising and yeah, it might be the "Mountain West" but it isn't so far removed culturally from the Plains states. In Texas, yeah, better be ready for year round heat lol
Colorado is awesome, I was looking to move to the Denver area because my girlfriend loves Colorado but we decided to stay in Nashville it is closer to our families. Denver is having the same issues Nashville is having being an it/trendy millennial city which raises the cost of living, we are frugal we like to live well but not overpay for housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.