U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 11:04 PM

18,926 posts, read 6,924,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
While I'm not fond of the idea of late-spring and mid-fall snow, those "storms" (just cuz it snows doesn't mean its a storm) only happen once or twice the month, the snow melts fast and it doesn't impede life. Its not like it starts snowing endlessly from October til May.

Also Texas can get 100 degrees in May and October, but I wouldn't use that as a sole reason for picking Denver.
Well, I grew up in the snowbelt of Upstate NY, and in the 18 years I lived there, I saw a whopping 150 feet of snow fall; that's why I moved somewhere where it NEVER snows. I've seen enough to last 3 lifetimes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 06:29 AM

4,894 posts, read 3,015,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tantan1968 View Post
I vote for Fort Worth.

Reason being is that I live in Denver. Sure there are lots of outdoor stuff to do and the spring and fall snows don't last and there are lots of churches but one really must use their heads before moving out to Denver. One reason is that it's very expensive to live here. Didn't used to be that way but came legal pot. I find it weird that so many people are moving out here for that reason. Really you can smoke pot anywhere ( in private anyway ) and what are the odds of the police getting involved ?? Unless you have a warrant for another reason you shouldn't have to worry about it.

Second is that Denver is such a political city. Don't know about Fort Worth but Denver if one isn't too careful you may find yourself in a political battle. A simple trip to King Soopers ( a local grocery store chain ) can end up being a political battle. Myself I avoid watching local Denver TV, don't listen to local radio and do not read the Denver Post. The less I know about Denver the better. Nothing gets me mad than going to doctor and having him/her say "vote yes on prop 100" or whatever. Fort Worth may be the same way I don't know but it's true about Denver. I find it funny whenever I hear "...I visited Denver and it was and now we are thinking about moving". Ah visiting Denver and living in Denver is two separate things all together. I would move but my other half is doing quite well.

I would say ( again ) that Fort Worth seems like a good choice. Besides if you need your mountain fix and wanna see snow you could always fly to Denver and get your fix. I understand flights to here are cheap.
They're coming from DC.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:50 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,402,490 times
Based on the sum of everything Fort Worth may be the winner here. Also Fort Worth if it wasn't in the shadow of Dallas would be more well known. But honestly every time I visit I am blown away. Really is a fine city. Good luck to the OP!

Old 05-17-2017, 08:40 PM

5,445 posts, read 8,173,726 times
Op, your Budget will go further in Fort Worth. You can get a pretty nice house in Denver for that price, but you can get an even nicer house in FW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
At least DFW doesn't get snow storms in May and October, so I vote Ft Worth
That's Denver's snow period. Doesn't mean it's constantly cold/snowing throughout that period. In May it snows no more than once. Maybe 3 times tops in October. And like someone said, it's not always a storm. Many 70-80 degree days during that period

EDIT: Other posters already covered this though
Quote:
Well, I grew up in the snowbelt of Upstate NY, and in the 18 years I lived there, I saw a whopping 150 feet of snow fall; that's why I moved somewhere where it NEVER snows. I've seen enough to last 3 lifetimes
Well the other extreme isn't necessarily that pleasant either. Fort Worth and Phoenix have many 100+ degree days during the Summer which I find to be very uncomfortable

Last edited by Mezter; 05-17-2017 at 08:48 PM..

Old 05-17-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
That's Denver's snow period. Doesn't mean it's constantly cold/snowing throughout that period. In May it snows no more than once. Maybe 3 times tops in October. And like someone said, it's not always a storm. Many 70-80 degree days during that period

EDIT: Other posters already covered this though
Isn't Denver supposed to get up to 8" of snow tomorrow and Friday? Considering tomorrow is May 18th, that is entirely unacceptable

Old 05-17-2017, 08:48 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,139,042 times
I Agree that outsiders perception of Denver's snow/winter is highly overstated.

Yes, we have a chance of snow for a wider period of time, but our winter is no longer than others.

Quote:
Isn't Denver supposed to get up to 8" of snow tomorrow and Friday? Considering tomorrow is May 18th, that is entirely unacceptable
Your opinion. I have to admit, it is kinda cool to get snowed on and have a snowball fight in July, which I have done here. If its isn't for you, extend your stay in Phoenix, Texas, etc. I personally find huge dust storms that shut down a city and look like a Biblical catastrophy unacceptable. YMMV.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:56 PM

5,445 posts, read 8,173,726 times
Quote:
Yeah, but it also hasn't snowed since the beginning of April. And it's barely snowed all year. You're making it seem like we're constantly in a blizzard. In reality all the snow we get tomorrow will be gone in a few days. I'm not too fond of snow in May either, but that's hardly a reason to rule a whole city out.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:58 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,171,847 times
Ft. Worth has some the friendliest people on earth so I would vote Ft. Worth even thou I think I really like Denver better myself.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:12 PM

6,579 posts, read 10,312,587 times
Quote:
More like 2-4", but with as warm as it's been the amount that sticks on the ground will be less than half that. Should mention it snowed in Salt Lake City today (so it's not just Denver that gets late-season snow).

Count me in the group that thinks enduring 100 degree temps for weeks on end is ridiculous. Stifling heat sucks. That's a big reason why I left the sweaty taint of North Texas. Lousy summers.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 05-17-2017 at 09:27 PM..

Old 05-17-2017, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Yeah, but it also hasn't snowed since the beginning of April. And it's barely snowed all year. You're making it seem like we're constantly in a blizzard. In reality all the snow we get tomorrow will be gone in a few days. I'm not too fond of snow in May either, but that's hardly a reason to rule a whole city out.
It is for me, I did my 18 years in snow country, and never want to see another flake again. But I reluctantly chose Ft Worth in this poll, wouldn't want to live in Texas either. Honestly, Phoenix, Los Angeles, Sacramento and the Bay Area are the only 4 metros I could live in in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or