U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 12:15 PM

40,143 posts, read 24,376,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchip55 View Post
Hi,

Actually, Eureka Springs was on my original list, but when I ran a realtor.com search for homes under 180k and of the age I want, nothing was coming up. Now that it's spring and prime real estate time, I will keep an eye on this and see if there are more listings, but I suspect ES might be out of my budget...

Thank you for the listing!
Here's another listing. At $150,000 it has a lot of the features you are looking for. But still some fixing up to do.

216 A W Van Buren, Eureka Springs, AR 72632 - realtor.com®
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 12:45 PM

112 posts, read 156,766 times
Default Lexington and Columbia

Yes, I wish I had been able to get out to Lexington while I was doing my research trip to Louisville, I know it's not far but was viewing homes with a realtor and just trying to thoroughly check Louisville out, I even visited Portland on the west side to see what Gil Holland has been doing, but although everyone there said west side is a no go, they also made it sound like the crime from the west does spread into the east. I mean Smoketown and Shelby Park still feel quite dicey and yet they are right next to the hot neighborhoods like Germantown. Also, homes are selling in a day at overinflated prices, so as much as I like Louisville I felt like I needed to expand my search.

I have only been to Lexington once as a child on a family trip and remember green and horses I do have a real estate search alert set up, but haven't seen my in my price range and age of home. I was also thinking it would be nice to have a major airport nearby, but then again Louisville isn't really a major airport, a lot of people drive to Cincinnati if they don't want to connect or to go somewhere international. Lexington does seem like it would be my arts/culture requirement with the university etc.

I hope to do a trip to the whole state of South Carolina as the only place I have visited is Aiken. Would like to check out Columbia, Greenville, but also places like Newberry, Florence, etc. Sadly Beaufort is too expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
Columbia, SC and Lexington, KY would be places to check out based on the list. Both aren't overly expensive for housing and have decent food and arts scene. I am not sure on how old the housing stock would be.
Lexington would put you in close proximity to Louisville, which has an outstanding food scene, lots of variety, while also not having to live in Louisville. Louisville does have a lot of crime, but primarily on the West side of town, so don't let the crime deter you. The housing market there is very crazy right now, so price could be an issue, but not so much in Lexington.

Old 05-18-2017, 12:49 PM

Default In my price range

That's definitely more in my price range, thanks. Now if I can just find a historic gem that's two bedrooms as I really don't need anything large.

Do you live in Eureka Springs? What would be the downsides of the town? Every place has some, and the tourist board and chamber of commerce are only going to tell me the positives

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Here's another listing. At $150,000 it has a lot of the features you are looking for. But still some fixing up to do.

216 A W Van Buren, Eureka Springs, AR 72632 - realtor.com®

Old 05-18-2017, 12:58 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,778,608 times
Quote:
Hi,

I have been to Baton Rouge, the university was a client of mine years ago. I remember eating at The Chimes and really enjoying it. However, I was concerned/confused by what you wrote, "The murder rate is quite high but crime is an after-thought in BR." Not sure what you meant about crime is an after-thought? High murder rate sounds scary, I wouldn't have lumped that in with places like Detroit, New Orleans, etc...

I will check out some of your other suggestions - thanks.
The Chimes is packed every single night. That places makes serious money. About the crime, living in New Orleans, crime can happen in any neighborhood as it's not segregated but I'm Baton Rouge it's very segregated so most of the crime happens in North BR. Your neighborhoods of choice would be far from that. There are some real gems when it comes to the housing too. Beauregard Town occasionally has renovated homes going for $150k or less. I almost bought one for $119k, it was a two bd, one bath on South Blvd.

Old 05-18-2017, 12:59 PM

Default Jacksonville never crossed my mind, but it's now on my radar

I can honestly say Jacksonville had never crossed my mind, but now it's definitely on my radar, a quick real estate search produced a surprising amount of options in my price range. I really appreciated you mentioning specific neighborhoods and describing the type of houses and feel of each community. Doing a remote real estate search is hard as they don't always let you search by neighborhood or tell you what neighborhood a listing is in. So sometimes I see a house that is the right price, right size, and historic and then find out it's in a really bad neighborhood or just a neighborhood that doesn't suit me. However, you have definitely given me ideas of where to look, so thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Just a few general thoughts before I get to my city...

I think the South makes perfect sense for you. You're definitely on the right track. Some smaller college towns could work but the only one I know well (Gainesville) isn't that old and I'm not aware of any historic home options. Perhaps Macon, GA, Mobile, AL, Pensacola, FL and Greenville, SC might be worth exploring. Truth is I don't know them well though really have only passed through as a visitor...if that. I was also thinking Winston-Salem but I guess it's not quite enough. And Louisville too...but I was worried prices have surpassed your budget and it sounds like that's the case.

Anyway, back to FL...I am thinking you may be able to find something in the Tampa area. It's certainly on the large side so amenities shouldn't be a problem but it still feels very relaxed and comfortable, and traffic doesn't get anywhere near ATL levels. Some of the better historic areas may have you priced out but there ought to be some rougher around the edges, still transitioning neighborhoods that can fit the bill. Unfortunately I can't be too specific as I'm still not super familiar with the region, but possibly Tampa Heights? Also maybe some rougher but potentially gentrifying parts of St Pete?

Finally Jax, really the only place I can give you definitive and specific answers. For 180k you can easily find a gorgeous pre-1930 home in Springfield. Many of the houses would be way too large for a single person, but I have seen some on the smaller side that fixed up would probably put you in the 120k range. The struggle with Springfield is that it's still a tad bit rough, but I am extremely confident that it's past the tipping point as a transitioning neighborhood and poised to become one of the most popular areas. Even today, in the right sections I would be more than comfortable with my family living there.

Other historic neighborhoods that you would probably love are Riverside, Avondale, San Marco, and possibly Fairfax but there's no way you'll find what you want in that price range. Murray Hill would still be very doable but even though many of the homes are from the era you wish, I just don't think they offer the beauty and grandeur you're wanting. They're generally small bungalows and on-the-whole not so attractive to me. I'll occasionally see a small 2/1 on the fringes of Riverside and Avondale that might suit your taste for under 200k, but it's not that common.

While I often plug Jax on these forums, I rarely will say that Jax seems like a good fit for someone. I usually just throw out the pros and cons. But in this case, reading your list of cities and your feelings about each one, it feels like Jax stands the test quite well. It does not offer the amenities of Atlanta or the charm and history of Savannah and Charleston, but it seems to have enough while still being in your price range. My only concern would be whether you are comfortable with the level of safety/security in Springfield.

Old 05-18-2017, 02:44 PM

40,143 posts, read 24,376,127 times
Quote:
That's definitely more in my price range, thanks. Now if I can just find a historic gem that's two bedrooms as I really don't need anything large.

Do you live in Eureka Springs? What would be the downsides of the town? Every place has some, and the tourist board and chamber of commerce are only going to tell me the positives
The downsides are that Eureka Springs is a tourist town. In the winter, a lot of businesses shorten their hours or close down altogether. In the summer, the traffic can be brutal. There's not enough parking downtown. When the businesses close down, a lot of the summer people leave. The prices at the grocery and gas stations tend to be high to take advantage of the tourists.

The upsides are that Eureka Springs is a tourist town. It gets some great restaurants with innovative chefs, it has a lot of entertainments, it's very artsy, the Victorian homes are really beautiful and the rest of the scenery is fantastic. And when the businesses shut down in the winter, a lot of the summer people leave. Winter is my favorite time to visit Eureka Springs. No traffic. Sometimes you can get better deals in the stores. No waiting for a table at restaurants. And the people seem to be friendlier and more relaxed.

While it has a school and a hospital, the majority of jobs revolve around the tourist industry. Because it's set on steep hillsides (they used to call it Little Switzerland), building can be challenging, and when they build, they build with tourism in mind.

That said, in terms of shopping or gassing up the car, Eureka Springs is very close to Berryville, and prices there aren't high. Berryville is an old farming community, and you might find an historic gem there very reasonably priced. Berryville is small, though. And, of course, from Eureka Springs you are not far from Northwest Arkansas (Fayetteville-Springdale-Rogers-Bentonville), and you are not far from Springfield, MO.
Or from Branson, MO, if that's your thing.

Old 05-18-2017, 03:08 PM

1,567 posts, read 749,380 times
Quote:
I have heard that Huntsville is the fastest growing city in AL now. I wish I had time to fit it in when I did my recent southern road trip, but after flying into Atlanta and doing Augusta and Aiken I drove back through ATL to Birmingham and then down to Montgomery and back out of Atlanta, all that in 8 days minus two travel days for flying.

I do like the sound of forested mountains because it sounds like it would be less hot than some other southern cities. I was so pleasantly surprised by the nice breeze Birmingham had, whereas I was literally melting when I was in Augusta.
The coolest summers in the South are definitely in western NC, but much of that area tends to be a bit more costly, especially in high amenity places like Asheville. I wouldn't say the difference in typical summer conditions between Birmingham (or Huntsville) and Augusta is that substantial, probably just 2 to 3 degrees. There could have been a heat wave when you were in Augusta and an anomalous cool front when you were in Birmingham, both impacting the entire region.

Yes, Huntsville is definitely the fastest growing of AL's major cities, but more moderately paced compared to Atlanta, Nashville or Raleigh-Durham, so the growing pains are not extreme. I think it has a nice balance of both traditional southern features and enough influences from elsewhere to avoid being insular. Some places like Cary, NC on one hand (nice but pretty generic suburb often called 'Containment Area for Relocated Yankees') and the MS Delta on the other (Southern in character to the extreme with few outsiders) are not quite as well balanced.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:55 PM

Default A laugh and a southern accent

I have been to Cary and never head what you said below, but it made me laugh. As far as MS Delta and 'few outsiders' I do find the South the most exotic part of the U.S. It seems to me the rest of the country is so homogenized, but when I travel in some of the deepest south it's like another country. For example, when I would go on business to New Orleans I would take extra days off and drive west, out of the big cities to true Cajun country, it could be a bit like going to a foreign country, which since I have lived overseas is great, so much of the U.S. seems homogenized with the same strip malls and stores, chain restaurants, suburban architecture, etc. that I appreciate that difference. Also, the accents, I might be kind of an outsider, but since I learned to speak when I lived in New Orleans I had a really heavy southern accent, that tends to come back when I am in the South

As far as Hunstville, I ran a real estate search after you recommended it, but didn't get any listings of the kinds of truly old historic homes, only found lots of 50's and 6o's ranches....either it's just a fluke that none are on the market right now, or maybe it has some but they are bigger and more pricey than the parameters I entered. For some reason I am really fixated on having such a home, it's probably cheesy and stereotypical, but my vision of living in the South involves sitting out on the porch with a sweet tea and having friendly chats with passerby. When it's time to come in I sweep through the transom door into the dining area with the wonderfully high ceilings and moldings and settle down to a piece of pie. Ok, pretty cringeworthy I guess, lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
The coolest summers in the South are definitely in western NC, but much of that area tends to be a bit more costly, especially in high amenity places like Asheville. I wouldn't say the difference in typical summer conditions between Birmingham (or Huntsville) and Augusta is that substantial, probably just 2 to 3 degrees. There could have been a heat wave when you were in Augusta and an anomalous cool front when you were in Birmingham, both impacting the entire region.

Yes, Huntsville is definitely the fastest growing of AL's major cities, but more moderately paced compared to Atlanta, Nashville or Raleigh-Durham, so the growing pains are not extreme. I think it has a nice balance of both traditional southern features and enough influences from elsewhere to avoid being insular. Some places like Cary, NC on one hand (nice but pretty generic suburb often called 'Containment Area for Relocated Yankees') and the MS Delta on the other (Southern in character to the extreme with few outsiders) are not quite as well balanced.

Old 05-18-2017, 11:14 PM

6,560 posts, read 13,765,501 times
Quote:
Yes, I wish I had been able to get out to Lexington while I was doing my research trip to Louisville, I know it's not far but was viewing homes with a realtor and just trying to thoroughly check Louisville out, I even visited Portland on the west side to see what Gil Holland has been doing, but although everyone there said west side is a no go, they also made it sound like the crime from the west does spread into the east. I mean Smoketown and Shelby Park still feel quite dicey and yet they are right next to the hot neighborhoods like Germantown. Also, homes are selling in a day at overinflated prices, so as much as I like Louisville I felt like I needed to expand my search.

I have only been to Lexington once as a child on a family trip and remember green and horses I do have a real estate search alert set up, but haven't seen my in my price range and age of home. I was also thinking it would be nice to have a major airport nearby, but then again Louisville isn't really a major airport, a lot of people drive to Cincinnati if they don't want to connect or to go somewhere international. Lexington does seem like it would be my arts/culture requirement with the university etc.

I hope to do a trip to the whole state of South Carolina as the only place I have visited is Aiken. Would like to check out Columbia, Greenville, but also places like Newberry, Florence, etc. Sadly Beaufort is too expensive.
You clearly looked in the wrong areas of Louisville then.

You missed like 75% of the nice (urban) areas, especially Highlands, Cherokee Triangle, Clfton, Crescent Hill, Clifton Heights, Butchertown, St Matthews

Shelby Park really isn't that dicey. Smoketown, I'll give you that

Downtown, Old Louisville, Jeffersonville and New Albany IN are options. Portland is like the 10th place urban neighborhood. If you went there but not heart of St Matthews, you didn't really see Louisville (and I'm not talking the malls)

Did you even look at downtown Jeffersonville or New Albany IN? Honestly some people talk up these small southern towns but I swear those suburbs of Louisville have as much or more to do than many of these small college towns alone, and when considered part of Louisville metro, it's no contest.

None of the other cities you are looking at will have the history, arts, architecture, and foodie scene of Louisville.

And yes Germantown is overpriced. It is one of the hottest areas in the nation.

Send me a PM and I can help you. There are alot of moron realtors in Louisville frankly who have come since its such a hot market and they simply don't know the areas.

Louisville grittier than Birmingham? Not even close. Both are old industrial cities Birmingham has much more decay, but Louisville also has its share, and the Ham is a decade behind on the growth curve. Louisville's urban and city populations are much healthier, its a larger city and feels that way. Also, if people in Louisville are talking about crime, its because it was one of the top 10 safest cities in America last decade. Now its about average but for Louisville, last year had record homicides, so the media is loving playing it up. It is mostly thug on thug, gang on gang, drug related. So not anymore worries here than any large city unless you are a drug dealing gang banger. Definitely not a high crime city, and anyone who told you there is lots of crime in the east end of Louisville is lying. The West End of Louisville and most of inner city Birmingham are very run down and comparable.

Moderator cut: Link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

http://www.wbrc.com/story/32451128/b...-than-chicagos

Birmingham has a higher homicide rate than Chicago

Speaks for itself but this only includes the tiny inner city area of the Ham. Metro wise Louisville and Birmingham have similar crime rates

Last edited by Yac; 05-25-2017 at 06:08 AM..

Old 05-19-2017, 07:18 AM

12 posts, read 13,482 times
I retired to Tallahassee Florida. It is so green with an educated population due to the colleges and the State Capital. Very nice!

I also liked Gainsville Florida. Both are southern because they are in Northern FL.

Another place I liked was North West Arkansas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or