U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 09:09 PM

6,312 posts, read 6,965,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchip55 View Post
I can honestly say Jacksonville had never crossed my mind, but now it's definitely on my radar, a quick real estate search produced a surprising amount of options in my price range. I really appreciated you mentioning specific neighborhoods and describing the type of houses and feel of each community. Doing a remote real estate search is hard as they don't always let you search by neighborhood or tell you what neighborhood a listing is in. So sometimes I see a house that is the right price, right size, and historic and then find out it's in a really bad neighborhood or just a neighborhood that doesn't suit me. However, you have definitely given me ideas of where to look, so thank you!
No problem. Btw you can search on redfin and they usually have the submarkets already separated out. So you could search "Springfield, Jacksonville, FL" or "Riverside, Jacksonville, FL" and it will show you the map with houses inside the borders of the neighborhood, with borders that are reasonably accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2017, 05:59 AM

21,187 posts, read 30,351,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Some places like Cary, NC on one hand (nice but pretty generic suburb often called 'Containment Area for Relocated Yankees')
I used to live in the Durham-Chapel Hill area for many years and remember when I first heard that term used. It's quite appropriate and while perhaps a bit more diverse now probably, can recall going with a friend to the mall in Cary and stopping for a bite to eat in the food court. As we ate our lunch I began to notice while looking around how "white" everyone was, including all of the employees of the varying food court establishments. It was truly kind of amazing to see that lack of diversity.

Old 05-20-2017, 07:02 AM

102 posts, read 65,001 times
What about Charlotte and Nashville

Old 05-20-2017, 08:35 AM

1,561 posts, read 744,703 times
Default Cary, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I used to live in the Durham-Chapel Hill area for many years and remember when I first heard that term used. It's quite appropriate and while perhaps a bit more diverse now probably, can recall going with a friend to the mall in Cary and stopping for a bite to eat in the food court. As we ate our lunch I began to notice while looking around how "white" everyone was, including all of the employees of the varying food court establishments. It was truly kind of amazing to see that lack of diversity.
I think you would see a very different scene today at public establishments in Cary. The latest estimates show the town (odd that it isn't officially a city) at 66% white and 15% Asian. It does have a smaller black population than other nearby places, however. https://census.missouri.edu/acs/prof...16000US3710740 .

I don't think Cary is much of a match for the OP of this thread, given it has little of a traditional Southern ambience and relatively expensive homes.

Old 05-20-2017, 12:57 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,796,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchip55 View Post
Yes, I did write that the Raleigh-Durham area was too expensive, I wrote the same for Charleston in my list of places I have visited/considered. I know places I have not been to, but researched, such as Oxford, MS and Charlottesville, VA would meet all of my criteria but housing costs.

However, for other areas, the fact that I am single so only looking for a house 1200 feet or less should give me access to other areas that still have some of the amenities I am looking for Plus, I am not afraid of a fixer as I have renovated one before.

Thanks for your input.
If you aren't afraid of a fixer, and are looking at something at or below 1200 ft2, Raleigh could still work but the window of oppty is narrowing quickly. I searched using a local RE site (which I can't link due to rules) and found 4 homes downtown in that size range and well under your price point.

Why are people even talking about Cary? It's clearly not what the OP is looking for. Remember, he said he wants something built in the late 1800s or in the early decades of the 1900s. That's NOT Cary. Cary is practically all post WWII construction. It was practically nothing before then.

Old 05-20-2017, 08:59 PM

112 posts, read 155,777 times
Default Charlotte and Nashville

Well Nashville is way above my housing price, being able to buy a home without having a mortgage is very important to me. Also, Nashville is having the same struggles my current city is, bad traffic, construction everywhere, overcrowding etc. It's what I am trying to get away from, otherwise I would stay put.

Charlotte, I don't know much about it, but considering it's also a very large city, I can only imagine as with the above it may be out of my price range, have too much sprawl and traffic, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Dreaming 2 View Post
What about Charlotte and Nashville

Old 05-20-2017, 09:55 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,752,834 times
Hammond, LA might work too. Small city, large college right next to the busy downtown. Lots of old homes for the size of the city as well. In between NOLA and BR but I'm sure you know.

Old 05-21-2017, 08:19 PM

3,788 posts, read 6,519,042 times
Mobile ,Al has the most historic districts in Alabama and it fits you're criteria. Oakleigh,De Tonti, Dauphin, Ashland, Old Dauphin Way and etc are full of beautiful houses with 200 + year old oaks arching the neighborhood streets. It offers more in the historic housing stock than any city in Alabama and several cities in the south as well.And you really can't go by city population when it comes to Montgomery. 90% of the Montgomery's county population is within the city limits. Montgomery city pop is 205k and the county has 225k . Both Mobile County 415k and Madison County ( Huntsville) 356k are larger and Montgomery county is on the verge of being passed up by Alabama's fastest growing county which is Baldwin 208k. Tuscaloosa county and Shelby County will be passing them up as well.

Last edited by PortCity; 05-21-2017 at 08:42 PM..

Old 05-25-2017, 06:33 AM

501 posts, read 330,196 times
Richmond, VA?

Old 06-06-2017, 12:27 PM

112 posts, read 155,777 times
Default Richmond

Thanks for mentioning Richmond, it does have most of what I want, but I have had real estate alerts set up for nearly a year now, and all the nice neighborhoods and historic homes are out of my budget for being a mortgage free buyer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or