Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 11:10 PM

169 posts, read 336,309 times

Advertisements

Well there is an expression about the wisdom of crowds, so I am hoping to get some guidance from this forum.

I want to move to the South, but am having a hard time figuring out the right place for me. Just a little background, I have lived on the East Coast, West Coast, Midwest and the South (New Orleans and Texas) as well as Europe, Asia and Central America, so I am a pretty adaptable person. I am single with no kids, so I don't care about school districts, but I also don't need someplace with a big dating scene as I am happily single. So I don't need a place with lots of bars and such. I am also not worried about the job scene where I go, I do work that can be done remotely, and I hope to retire young anyway within the next five years. I also don't care about lots of shopping with the exception of antique stores. Nowadays, I can get anything shipped such as by Amazon, I just don't buy a lot other than the necessities.

Why did I choose the South?
*Friendly people/slower pace of life
*Historical homes - in other parts of the country, these are torn down to build big ugly McMansions or multi-family,but I appreciate great architecture
*Cost of living
*Proximity of other interesting places to visit within driving distance

I currently live on the West Coast and there is too much traffic, too many crowds, unfriendly people, too much constant construction, politics I don't totally agree with (I am liberal on some issues, but very very conservative on others), too expensive. I do love the temperate climate, but will have to give that up to get the other things I want.

HISTORIC HOME - What I want. I really really want a historic home, doesn't need to be on the scale of Tara as I live alone and don't need anything too large, but I love historic details such as transoms above doors, extremely tall ceilings, nice baseboards and molding, etc. Basically I want a home built between 1880-1935.

FOOD SCENE - I don't need hundreds of restaurants like I have now, but if a town only had a diner, some fast food places and one decent restaurant, that's the other extreme. I would also like some variety, such as at least a few ethnic restaurants.

CRIME - I currently live in a very large city, but it doesn't have proportionally high crime, though it seems to be changing in that direction. I realize from having lived so many places that unfortunately we live in an age where it's everywhere, but it's in different degrees in different places. As a single woman I want to feel safe, but I am also savvy enough to be aware of my surroundings, not do silly things, etc. There is also a difference between personal safety and property crime. I hate the idea of someone breaking into my home, my sanctuary.

ART/CULTURE - I love the arts and want to find a place that at least has some arts/culture, whether that is a small playhouse, art galleries/walks, book readings, lectures, etc. It often helps if there is a university, even a small one brings cultural offerings.

LOW COST OF LIVING - My dream is to sell my current home and use the profit to buy my next home in cash and never have another mortgage - to do that I want to keep the price under $180k

SIZE - I am not going to limit myself by saying a certain size of town or city, because there are small towns out there that can have the amenities or vibrancy of a big city, conversely a big city with lots of amenities might have some of the factors I am trying to get away from, so I will remain open.

I have researched and visited southern towns and cities on business, vacation, and simply on trips trying to find my next home, but someone who reads this post may say, "My town/city sounds like a good fit for her!" and help me consider a place that hasn't even been on my radar yet. Here are places I have been and what I liked/didn't like about them:

Raleigh/Durham, NC - too expensive and traffic getting bad
Winston Salem, NC - lovely people, low cost of living, but for the 'City of Arts and Innovation' it didn't seem to live up to that slogan. Also, no food scene. Like would be pleasant, looking for something more.
Greensboro, NC - Don't know why exactly, but just didn't like it
Atlanta - Too big and sprawly, plus bad traffic, though I like visiting, especially some of the areas just outside like Roswell, etc.
Augusta, GA - Vacant downtown - could be great in 10 years if it revitalizes. Historic neighborhoods a little dodgy as surrounded by bad areas. Not much food scene.
Aiken, SC - Pleasant, but might not have enough in terms of restaurants and things to do? I only spent a day there.
Charleston, SC - great city in many of the ways I care about, but I think I am priced out for want I want in housing.
Savannah, GA - I have been there as a tourist years ago, great history and food too. It's also arty because of SCAD. However, the Savannah forum has a lot to say about bad crime. Also, although I will have to acclimate to the heat in any southern town, it sounds like Savannah is especially humid (and lots of bugs)
Texas - I lived there and it was fine, but don't have any big desire to go back.
New Orleans - Great food scene, Cajun food is my fave. Great art and history too, a really vibrant city. However, also has major crime issues and I don't want to be in the path of a hurricane. We lived there when I was young and had to evacuate.
Birmingham, AL - quite a surprise as it's so green and has a great breeze, great food scene, lots to do, but doesn't really have the historical homes, there are some, but much bigger and more expensive than my price point. I would have to give up my dream of ideal home, but I do like the city very much.
Louisville, KY - Love the homes, especially shotguns. Great food scene, arts, etc. However, it's a grittier more industrial city than for example Birmingham, even in the neighborhoods. Also, people there seem to talk a lot about crime (I explored for a week last fall) and home market is going crazy and getting close to pricing me out.
Montgomery, AL - Absolutely loved the historic neighborhoods and great prices. However, I feel some disquiet that even though it's the second largest city in the whole state, it doesn't even have its own forum on here, wonder why that is? For some reason people outside the city itself don't have much great to say about it, I don't know why. As the second largest city and state capitol, surely it has some life to it? The people I spoke with when I was there were nice. I wish I could have spent more time there to get a better feel. I did notice it only had a small food scene, but as long as there are some good options/variety.

There are states beyond the list above, so I am completely open to hearing about other states or other cities and towns in the states above. So hoping some great people on this board will share their ideas. perceptions, and experiences with me... advanced appreciation to anyone who does...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 11:31 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,119,790 times
Little Rock may be a good place to check out. It's a really underrated city, low COL, it has historic homes close to downtown but I'm not sure how big the historic districts are. Food scene will be in the middle, not too sure on art, the big school is in Fayatteville but there is a Little Rock campus there. I don't think crime is much of an issue.

Baton Rouge has a decent stock of historic homes, many can be had under $200k. Our food scene is very good being in between two famous culinary destinations. The murder rate is quite high but crime is an after-thought in BR.
Art is something I crave, we have only a couple galleries in BR but LSU is also there so cultural activities are well covered. `
COL is low outside of flood insurance and car insurance. I've never had to evacuate, I wouldn't consider it a reason not to move here. Big enough for everything you need and New Orleans is nextdoor, especially for art and culture.

I would seriously recommend Lafayette but it has a really small historic housing stock. New Iberia might be ok though, a suburb of Lafayette so you're close to all the real Cajun food and UL. I know it has a real downtown but not sure how many historic homes it has.

Maybe Mobile too, I know it has historic homes and a decent food scene being on the coast.

Edit: The Mississippi gulf coast might be a good place too. Lots of historic homes, look into Pass Christian and Bay St. Louis. I'm sure you know NOLA is nextdoor.
Natchitoches might be worth a look too, oldest settlement in Louisiana, low COL, and is famous for meat pies.

Old 05-17-2017, 11:47 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,079,497 times
Just a few general thoughts before I get to my city...

I think the South makes perfect sense for you. You're definitely on the right track. Some smaller college towns could work but the only one I know well (Gainesville) isn't that old and I'm not aware of any historic home options. Perhaps Macon, GA, Mobile, AL, Pensacola, FL and Greenville, SC might be worth exploring. Truth is I don't know them well though really have only passed through as a visitor...if that. I was also thinking Winston-Salem but I guess it's not quite enough. And Louisville too...but I was worried prices have surpassed your budget and it sounds like that's the case.

Anyway, back to FL...I am thinking you may be able to find something in the Tampa area. It's certainly on the large side so amenities shouldn't be a problem but it still feels very relaxed and comfortable, and traffic doesn't get anywhere near ATL levels. Some of the better historic areas may have you priced out but there ought to be some rougher around the edges, still transitioning neighborhoods that can fit the bill. Unfortunately I can't be too specific as I'm still not super familiar with the region, but possibly Tampa Heights? Also maybe some rougher but potentially gentrifying parts of St Pete?

Finally Jax, really the only place I can give you definitive and specific answers. For 180k you can easily find a gorgeous pre-1930 home in Springfield. Many of the houses would be way too large for a single person, but I have seen some on the smaller side that fixed up would probably put you in the 120k range. The struggle with Springfield is that it's still a tad bit rough, but I am extremely confident that it's past the tipping point as a transitioning neighborhood and poised to become one of the most popular areas. Even today, in the right sections I would be more than comfortable with my family living there.

Other historic neighborhoods that you would probably love are Riverside, Avondale, San Marco, and possibly Fairfax but there's no way you'll find what you want in that price range. Murray Hill would still be very doable but even though many of the homes are from the era you wish, I just don't think they offer the beauty and grandeur you're wanting. They're generally small bungalows and on-the-whole not so attractive to me. I'll occasionally see a small 2/1 on the fringes of Riverside and Avondale that might suit your taste for under 200k, but it's not that common.

While I often plug Jax on these forums, I rarely will say that Jax seems like a good fit for someone. I usually just throw out the pros and cons. But in this case, reading your list of cities and your feelings about each one, it feels like Jax stands the test quite well. It does not offer the amenities of Atlanta or the charm and history of Savannah and Charleston, but it seems to have enough while still being in your price range. My only concern would be whether you are comfortable with the level of safety/security in Springfield.

Old 05-18-2017, 12:49 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,836,351 times
^Great post, projectmaximus!

I agree, Jax sounds like a good match for the OP. It really does fly under the radar, but it's a nice place.

FYI, the best Historic homes in Gainesville are NE of Downtown in the Duck Pond neighborhood.

Old 05-18-2017, 07:08 AM

26,879 posts, read 43,372,110 times
The Seminole Heights area of Tampa would be a good fit with a nice selection of housing stock, a good food scene, plenty of arts/culture and a lower cost of living (considering the size of the metro area). While there's crime it's not of the rampant variety and traffic can be bad out on the interstates, but in-town it's manageable via varying surface streets largely laid out on a grid.

Tampa, FL Real Estate - Tampa Homes for Sale - realtor.com®

Old 05-18-2017, 07:59 AM

7,775 posts, read 10,079,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
FYI, the best Historic homes in Gainesville are NE of Downtown in the Duck Pond neighborhood.
NE of downtown? Yeah I guess I rarely ventured out that way. Just looked it up...I see some interesting looking houses built in the 20s and 30s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The Seminole Heights area of Tampa would be a good fit with a nice selection of housing stock, a good food scene, plenty of arts/culture and a lower cost of living (considering the size of the metro area). While there's crime it's not of the rampant variety and traffic can be bad out on the interstates, but in-town it's manageable via varying surface streets largely laid out on a grid.

Tampa, FL Real Estate - Tampa Homes for Sale - realtor.com®
I thought Seminole Heights sounded perfect for the OP but isnt it too expensive now? I work in real estate and have been sent many flip opportunities in the neighborhood and anything under 200k I see needs a lot of work.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:03 AM

3,091 posts, read 2,152,994 times
I would suggest Huntsville, AL, which is quite different from Montgomery despite having a similar population. Huntsville has a generally suburban character, but there are some picturesque historic neighborhoods in the central part of the city, I think just east and south of the downtown. It is much safer than Alabama's other major cities and has an active cultural and food scene that measures up well for a medium sized metropolitan area. There are many transplants from other areas of the nation and beyond due to the abundance of federal and high-tech jobs, so fitting in as a newcomer should be easier than many other places. It's also a nice area from an outdoor perspective, with forested mountains at the edge of the city, and about 2 hours drive to Nashville and Birmingham, and a little over 3 hours to Atlanta and Memphis.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:01 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,028,562 times
With the OPs description of the preferred quality of life, I think that the price point is going to be the biggest problem. It seems that I am reading a lot of posts lately where extremely low costs of living are requested side by side with all the things that make places more expensive. This is especially true when someone wants to live in the faster growing areas of the country where demand is growing.
It would seem to me that the places that the OP would best find the preferred qualities of life would be the shrinking metros where housing prices are low. But, then again, I wonder if crime would be a problem given growing desperation in some of these places?
The OP is about 3 years late for getting in on the low priced housing on the east side of DT Raleigh that was previously neglected. Today those homes have rapidly escalated to be at market rate with other historic neighborhoods.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:53 AM

4,358 posts, read 4,205,837 times
Chattanooga, Athens, and Columbia SC could be possibilities

Old 05-18-2017, 11:47 AM

169 posts, read 336,309 times
Yes, I did write that the Raleigh-Durham area was too expensive, I wrote the same for Charleston in my list of places I have visited/considered. I know places I have not been to, but researched, such as Oxford, MS and Charlottesville, VA would meet all of my criteria but housing costs.

However, for other areas, the fact that I am single so only looking for a house 1200 feet or less should give me access to other areas that still have some of the amenities I am looking for Plus, I am not afraid of a fixer as I have renovated one before.

Thanks for your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
With the OPs description of the preferred quality of life, I think that the price point is going to be the biggest problem. It seems that I am reading a lot of posts lately where extremely low costs of living are requested side by side with all the things that make places more expensive. This is especially true when someone wants to live in the faster growing areas of the country where demand is growing.
It would seem to me that the places that the OP would best find the preferred qualities of life would be the shrinking metros where housing prices are low. But, then again, I wonder if crime would be a problem given growing desperation in some of these places?
The OP is about 3 years late for getting in on the low priced housing on the east side of DT Raleigh that was previously neglected. Today those homes have rapidly escalated to be at market rate with other historic neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.