U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 09:56 AM

3,323 posts, read 9,570,612 times

Advertisements

This is Michigan:

Pittsburgh:

Cleveland:

Columbus:

Cincinnati:

Minneapolis:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 01:53 PM

94 posts, read 84,963 times
So do these "midwest" or "greatlake areas" have summers in the 60s-70s with low humidity? Thats the goal. Cool summers. But it seems that only is found in places with below zero winters, where its so cold that the fluids in your car freeze over :/ even in WA, where I lived for about 8 months, there were summer days in the 80s and up. And I could not find an apartment anywhere there that offers central heating and air. I searched high and low. That was a disappointment. In CA any decent apartment offers central heating and cooling. In WA there was small vents along the floorboards or coils that heated up. Didnt provide any real warmth. You pretty much had to freeze in winter but there was no air conditioning options for summer. Seemed like a very behind-the-times system. Maybe it is impossible to find a place with cool weather most of the year in a rural or suburban area that doesnt have high crime and horrible unemployment without paying $800K for a home, but if thats the case, wow thats horribly depressing. Ummm New Zealand....?

Old 06-06-2017, 10:25 PM

68 posts, read 44,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Colorado is gorgeous but be mindful of the weather there. It could be 70 or 80 in January, but snowing in May. Denver just got hit with some snow. I have some friends in Estes Park and they just got dumped on with several feet. I personally wouldn't want to deal with snow that late in the season. It can start again as early as September.
Estes Park is up in the mountains, away from Denver. They may get several feet in May, but Denver won't get that much in May.

Old 06-06-2017, 10:28 PM

It is doubtful that you will find a place that meets your particular list of requirements.

Places with summer highs in the 70s will either be frigid in the winter with quite a bit of snow or they will be expensive (San Fran).

Old 06-07-2017, 07:18 AM

3,323 posts, read 9,570,612 times
If there is a lot of green landscape, there's probably a decent amount of precipitation and humidity.

The upper great lakes have temps that are more extreme, they get more snow (in some places), it's colder and it actually gets hotter in places like North Dakota and Minnesota than it does in the lower Great Lakes, Ohio, Indiana, etc.

Where I live in Northeast Ohio we get very few days over 90 degrees and the average winter temp is around freezing. We do get a decent amount of snow due to Lake Effect (google it) off of Lake Erie, but south of Akron they don't really get any of that.

Today is June 7th and it's going to be about 64 degrees. Typically, it doesn't start getting humid until July and August. Those two months are the most oppressive, but nothing like the south and the temps are typically in the high 70s to mid-80s. Just about everyone around here has forced air heat and central air.

Rents are pretty low here. You can rent a one bedroom where I live for $500-$600/month in a very nice area. My friend just rented a 1000 sq/ft 2bedroom/2bath townhome for $700/month. It's actually cheaper to buy here, as mortgage payments, taxes and insurance are lower than rent in some instances. Closer to Cleveland/Pittsburgh/Columbus you'll be paying closer to $1000/month depending where you settle, but it's still a lot more affordable than most areas of Cali.

Old 06-07-2017, 07:40 AM

94 posts, read 84,963 times
I dont mind rain so much, especially when its a drizzle and not pouring, because I can still drive without any problem. I was just reading a blog I think called the new wife style, and this woman from colorado who loved to portland was talking about weather, saying the hard thing about oregon is the days where no sun breaks through the sky. People here on city data acted like they had no idea what I was talking about when I mentioned that as my experience in winter in seattle. But after reading this blog I know Im not the only one. I could totally live with the OR rain. And just like her blog said, spring and fall are great. Its the days with zero light in winter that get depressing. But still, that may be the less of the evils, when considering humidity and below freezing temps in winter. Those OH rent prices are very tempting, but as an outdoor person it may not be worth it. If I was a couch potato I could live anywhere and just hide inside with bad weather. But I want to be out camping and hiking and road tripping. Things that ruin all that... humidity, big bugs, days in the 80s and 90s where Im melting in the sun, or really frigid winters where you lose feeling in your fingers and tooes. Several people mentioned medford so let me ask this... is it safe enough crime wise for a single woman to go camping and hiking alone?? Thats important.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:08 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,415,158 times
Any state would probably be better.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:26 AM

5,427 posts, read 2,825,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Any state would probably be better.
Not in terms of weather.

Old 06-07-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellysocal View Post
...I was just reading a blog I think called the new wife style, and this woman from colorado who loved to portland was talking about weather, saying the hard thing about oregon is the days where no sun breaks through the sky. People here on city data acted like they had no idea what I was talking about when I mentioned that as my experience in winter in seattle...

I have seen that quite a bit on various forums.

People in Washington state think a place like Sequim is just full of sun...nope, their perspectives are just off kilter from living under sunless cloudy skies the majority of the year. They wouldn't understand that a person from Phoenix would have a great deal of trouble in even the sunniest of Washington state cities (such as Spokane - the winter would drive most people from Phoenix into depression).

Just like people in Phoenix tell you absurd things like, "it's a dry heat" and "it's only hot for 3-4 months out of the year". I guess when you've lived all your life in a convection oven, you think it is normal. Not by far, it is very abnormal and intense with unreasonable temperatures 6-7 maybe even 8 months out of the year.

Everyone's perspective is modified by their experiences, some to a greater degree than others.

Old 06-07-2017, 02:36 PM

18,927 posts, read 6,865,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patryuji View Post
I have seen that quite a bit on various forums.

People in Washington state think a place like Sequim is just full of sun...nope, their perspectives are just off kilter from living under sunless cloudy skies the majority of the year. They wouldn't understand that a person from Phoenix would have a great deal of trouble in even the sunniest of Washington state cities (such as Spokane - the winter would drive most people from Phoenix into depression).

Just like people in Phoenix tell you absurd things like, "it's a dry heat" and "it's only hot for 3-4 months out of the year". I guess when you've lived all your life in a convection oven, you think it is normal. Not by far, it is very abnormal and intense with unreasonable temperatures 6-7 maybe even 8 months out of the year.

Everyone's perspective is modified by their experiences, some to a greater degree than others.
Please. I am not a native, I grew up in New York and moved here (Phoenix) in 2001. So I came from the polar opposite climate wise and still don't find it unbearable for 8 months, unless you think 70s or 80s is unreasonably hot.

Our hottest 8 months would be from March 16th until November 15th. During that period our normal highs range from 79 to 108, and our morning lows range from 54 to 86.

And our hottest 3 months are from June 10th to September 9th. During that period, our normal highs range from 101 to 108 and our normal lows range from 77 to 86. So for the other 5 months of that "8 months of unbearable heat" March 16th to Jun 9th and Sept 10th to Nov 15th, normal highs range from 79 to 102 and normal lows range from 54 to 80. But keep in mind that's not with the crushing humidity that the south experiences
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or