U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 03:08 PM

722 posts, read 512,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by patryuji View Post
Estes Park is up in the mountains, away from Denver. They may get several feet in May, but Denver won't get that much in May.
We live just north of Colorado Springs proper. We got 11 inches of snow in less than 1 day this past May. It can happen. Maybe not 2 feet but 1 foot of heavy wet snow is definitely a possibility in late May. And that can be a real bear to deal with.

Also OP, it's going to be hard to find a safe house in Denver suburbs at $300k. Still possible in the Springs but that's slowly going away too.

ETA: at 7300 ft we don't usually get above 90 in the summer and mainly stay in the low to mid 80's. For us, that is awesome but we came from Albuquerque where it gets HOT.

Best of luck OP. I hope you find your place
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 03:43 PM

1,750 posts, read 1,781,824 times
If you melt above 80 degrees, than I'd suggest way north coastal CA. Places like Eureka, Crescent City or McKinleyville.

Old 06-14-2017, 02:00 PM

94 posts, read 85,668 times
Can't afford my perfect weather place which is San Francisco. And any surrounding area with any sort of jobs or decent crime levels is out of my price range. Unless there is a magical place I've never heard of. Oregon is a possibility but I've even seen the weather be warm there lately,
some days in the 90s.

Old 06-15-2017, 05:43 PM

3,531 posts, read 1,785,485 times
I think you'll have to decide whether the possibility of a few weeks of hot weather is worse than the reality of a lot of freezing weather. If not being too hot wins, I'd look at Minnesota and Montana. Otherwise, I think Albuquerque might be the best option if you can get a decent paying job.

Old 06-16-2017, 11:32 AM

3,090 posts, read 2,135,634 times
Sunset Magazine recently rated best value western city to live in where there are decent homes prices, reasonable recreation activities, and reasonable employment prospects. They picked Nevada City CA as its best value CA city to live in with a $377k median home price. Runner ups in the category included Reno NV, with $266 median home price. Mountain area winner was Boise ID @ $216k median price and runner ups were Provo UT at $225k and Ft Collins CO at $325k. Southwest area winner was Prescott AZ at $285k. Northwest winner was Vancouver WA at $247k and a runner up was Coos Bay OR at $170k and Wenatchee WA at $234k.

There were certainly more cities listed, but I only pulled the ones with housing under $400k and locations that would have cooler climates. Full article is here: Cheapest Places to Live in the West - Sunset

However, if you are now considering a disability claim in CA, I'm not certain how such an event may or may not translate well into moving somewhere else, nor if the climate change may have an impact on such a claim. That certainly throws another consideration into your search for any area you may consider.

Old 06-16-2017, 11:54 AM

23,700 posts, read 17,660,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellysocal View Post
Ive traveled and explored quite a bit. Did not care for AZ. Mostly a hot state, very dry bland as far as any scenery (no I dont consider rocks as scenery). Plus lots of crack heads wandering about. Drove through and visited the state 3 times... its not for me.

I did live in WA before. Most of the year I liked the climate. Rained a lot but it did keep everything green and pretty looking. Snowed a little, which was pretty. But I did have a hard time in winter. There were days with zero light. No moon, no stars, no sun, no sunset. I found this depressing. But this was a non issue most of the year. Fall was beautiful! Cheaper than CA by far, I had a 2 bedroom on a lovely street for $1400. As opposed to the $1700 you pay for a 1 bedroom here. I still think OR may be a better fit. Not a fan of Portland but I like some of the more rural and suburban cities. Its also a closer drive to visit CA. I love san fran but its not in the budget.

I did live in dallas for a short time. I found it clean and nice for a city that size. Pretty sunsets. Affordable big houses. Decent jobs. But... very hot. I dont like hot weather. Horrible huge red fire ant problem. Not a fan of bugs that bite. And the tornado warnings waking you up were mildly annoying. If I were to go back that direction I would explore Austin. I know its more expensive but have heard great things. Still the heat would be my main issue. My body doesnt handle heat well.

Im also open to CO (denver suburbs) and Asheville NC if the humidty is as low as Ive read... I would have to see for myself. The fact that every room has fans is usually a sigh of hot weather and fans on every porch. Thats what Im seeing in the homes Im looking at. Although it gets less snow than CO by far which means easier to drive around. If either place has a big biting bug population that will settle that. I love to be outdoors and getting bitten just ruins that. I plan to visit before writing anything off my list.
Asheville proper kind of sits in a bowl with the mountains all around it. While it's cooler than most of the rest of the state, it's humid. It's also expensive and the wages there are very low (mostly tourism related jobs). If you wanted cheaper and a little cooler/less humid in the summer, there are numerous towns above 3,000 feet in the area, but the job situation is not good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or