U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-18-2017, 02:55 PM
 
94 posts, read 84,963 times
Reputation: 39

Advertisements

Im born and raised in California. Spend half my life in LA and Long Beach and the other half in the OC suburbs. There is a lot of good about CA. Great views, pretty good weather, beaches, sunsets, palm trees. But Im ready for a new chapter in my life. 3 years ago I got laid off from my high paying job that I had been at for 8 years. I havent found something that pays us much or that I like as much since. Its very expensive where I live so I had to downgrade my living situation drastically. A one bedroom apartment in a safe area here is $1700/month. If you move to the Desert area of CA where the weather is much hotter and crime is higher you can get a one bedroom for $1200-$1300. But I dont like really hot weather. I also got divorced last year from a 7 year marriage. Im feeling like this is a good time to start over new. Ive reached out on this forum to a few states I thought would be a good fit but you often get the negative "dont come here" from the people who dont want any new comers. So I thought I would see if anyone else had any suggestions for me. What do you think could be a good fit? Based on....

Im 32 and single, white, straight, female. No kids. 2 cats. Love living in the suburbs for how safe and clean it is. But also love the nature of rural areas. Love animals, photography, hiking, camping, walks at the lake or beach. Love being in the sunshine, but dont like really hot weather. Anything above 75 and Im sweating. I stay inside with the A/C on when its in the 80s and 90s. Fall is my favorite, but it still has too many warm days in California, IMO. I love volunteering at the animal shelter. I love most outdoor activities (If there is no bugs biting me- I hate bugs... its a non issue in CA). I have 15+ years of management expereince in customer service, both office and retail. I have tattoos, a lot of them. So its important not to be around stuck up people who think they are better than those who have visible ink. Im very laid back. I get along with most people. I do have political views but I dont force mine on anyone else. Im non denominational christian. I love church. But Im from a church where you can wear jeans or sweats and no one cares. Very mellow, non jugdemental. Im friendly and would love to make some new friends, but Im also fine exploring and do things on my own. Im a vegetarian. I dont eat meat, fish, hunt, wear fur. I do support animals rights. Based on that info.... is there a city / state that might be a good fit for me outside of CA???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-18-2017, 03:02 PM
 
Location: Downtown Phoenix, AZ
18,927 posts, read 6,865,187 times
Reputation: 5856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellysocal View Post
Im born and raised in California. Spend half my life in LA and Long Beach and the other half in the OC suburbs. There is a lot of good about CA. Great views, pretty good weather, beaches, sunsets, palm trees. But Im ready for a new chapter in my life. 3 years ago I got laid off from my high paying job that I had been at for 8 years. I havent found something that pays us much or that I like as much since. Its very expensive where I live so I had to downgrade my living situation drastically. A one bedroom apartment in a safe area here is $1700/month. If you move to the Desert area of CA where the weather is much hotter and crime is higher you can get a one bedroom for $1200-$1300. But I dont like really hot weather. I also got divorced last year from a 7 year marriage. Im feeling like this is a good time to start over new. Ive reached out on this forum to a few states I thought would be a good fit but you often get the negative "dont come here" from the people who dont want any new comers. So I thought I would see if anyone else had any suggestions for me. What do you think could be a good fit? Based on....

Im 32 and single, white, straight, female. No kids. 2 cats. Love living in the suburbs for how safe and clean it is. But also love the nature of rural areas. Love animals, photography, hiking, camping, walks at the lake or beach. Love being in the sunshine, but dont like really hot weather. Anything above 75 and Im sweating. I stay inside with the A/C on when its in the 80s and 90s. Fall is my favorite, but it still has too many warm days in California, IMO. I love volunteering at the animal shelter. I love most outdoor activities (If there is no bugs biting me- I hate bugs... its a non issue in CA). I have 15+ years of management expereince in customer service, both office and retail. I have tattoos, a lot of them. So its important not to be around stuck up people who think they are better than those who have visible ink. Im very laid back. I get along with most people. I do have political views but I dont force mine on anyone else. Im non denominational christian. I love church. But Im from a church where you can wear jeans or sweats and no one cares. Very mellow, non jugdemental. Im friendly and would love to make some new friends, but Im also fine exploring and do things on my own. Im a vegetarian. I dont eat meat, fish, hunt, wear fur. I do support animals rights. Based on that info.... is there a city / state that might be a good fit for me outside of CA???
Look to Oregon or Washington I guess
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2017, 04:46 PM
 
56,595 posts, read 80,890,793 times
Reputation: 12505
Suburbs of Denver or Colorado Springs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2017, 05:37 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley
18,094 posts, read 22,952,534 times
Reputation: 35230
Move away, just so you will realize how much you love CA. Then, come back and be grateful and ready to put up with the downsides, in order to enjoy what you can't find anywhere else.

Ask me how I know this :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2017, 05:55 PM
 
Location: Left coast
2,320 posts, read 1,208,015 times
Reputation: 3223
we almost moved to a little town near Eureka (California) called Blue Lake, about 20 years ago- its was 5 miles inland from the coast so was significantly sunnier, its probably more developed, but still sleepy....

I am just saying, California is a big state, look at all your options first before moving
( I miss my big, liberal, live and let live state).

Coworker says Ohio is cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2017, 06:06 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley
18,094 posts, read 22,952,534 times
Reputation: 35230
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post

Coworker says Ohio is cheap.
LOL. You get what you pay for! Even in CA.

It's funny. I just recently moved from a really poor, remote area of CA back to the SF Bay Area. And sooo glad to be back. But, I needed some butter today, and even at the discount places, they were asking a dollar more per pound! The nerve! LOL. I'll get over it.

Give me amenities or give me death!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2017, 07:17 PM
 
94 posts, read 84,963 times
Reputation: 39
Thanks to those who mentioned OR and CO. Those are 2 out of the 3 places on my list that Im seriously considering and researching currently. For those saying stay in CA.... trust me I love CA. Staying is NOT an option. All my friends and family have moved away due to how overpriced it is. And I cant buy a home let alone afford a nice apartment here. San Fran has the weather I love so if I could afford that life I would be considering it. And yes I have moved out of state before, twice, (to Texas and Washington) so I do know what life outside of CA is like. No place is perfect. Its either too hot, too cold, too many bugs, too many days with dark skies.... and so on. But Im not going to spend $800K to have a house. Its not happening. Im not spending more than $300K for a home. Denver CO and Asheville NC can fit within the budget, along with certain cities in OR. Im not a fan of Portland (yes Ive been there) but the rural and suburb areas are nice. Keep the suggestions coming though. Unless your planning on paying my bills though, no need to suggest staying in Cali!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2017, 07:28 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley
18,094 posts, read 22,952,534 times
Reputation: 35230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellysocal View Post
Thanks to those who mentioned OR and CO. Those are 2 out of the 3 places on my list that Im seriously considering and researching currently. For those saying stay in CA.... trust me I love CA. Staying is NOT an option. All my friends and family have moved away due to how overpriced it is. And I cant buy a home let alone afford a nice apartment here. San Fran has the weather I love so if I could afford that life I would be considering it. And yes I have moved out of state before, twice, (to Texas and Washington) so I do know what life outside of CA is like. No place is perfect. Its either too hot, too cold, too many bugs, too many days with dark skies.... and so on. But Im not going to spend $800K to have a house. Its not happening. Im not spending more than $300K for a home. Denver CO and Asheville NC can fit within the budget, along with certain cities in OR. Im not a fan of Portland (yes Ive been there) but the rural and suburb areas are nice. Keep the suggestions coming though. Unless your planning on paying my bills though, no need to suggest staying in Cali!
Forgive me. Please.

I'm quite sure you can find somewhere with great homes for $300K and great jobs, too. And you won't mind the weather or the bugs in order to keep them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2017, 07:41 PM
 
54 posts, read 42,877 times
Reputation: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajerseychick View Post
we almost moved to a little town near eureka (california) called blue lake, about 20 years ago- its was 5 miles inland from the coast so was significantly sunnier, its probably more developed, but still sleepy....

I am just saying, california is a big state, look at all your options first before moving
( i miss my big, liberal,live and let live state).

Coworker says ohio is cheap.
best joke ever
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2017, 07:50 PM
 
Location: The Pacific Northwest
6,015 posts, read 6,367,272 times
Reputation: 8281
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Move away, just so you will realize how much you love CA. Then, come back and be grateful and ready to put up with the downsides, in order to enjoy what you can't find anywhere else.

Ask me how I know this :-)
Yeah, it certainly does seem more difficult for California natives to adjust to living elsewhere. I think it can be equally difficult for non-natives to adjust to living in California. I lived in SoCal for four years and was over it so I moved away. I recently went back to San Diego for the first time in another four years, and I remember the first day I was like OMG why did I ever leave? By the last day, I remembered exactly why and was happy to hop on that plane. I do think where you grow up can have a big impact on what you are comfortable with, whether that be in regards to climate or anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top