Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When you think of Las Vegas you think.....
Gambling 79 77.45%
High End Hotels 35 34.31%
Prostitution 22 21.57%
Party Scene 46 45.10%
Drinking 32 31.37%
Newer and Growing City 14 13.73%
Great Natural Scenery & Outdoor Activities 16 15.69%
Business Friendly Environment 3 2.94%
The Mob 12 11.76%
Corporate Greed 10 9.80%
World Class Restaurants & Buffets 19 18.63%
Shows, Concerts and other entertainment 35 34.31%
Desert Heat and Climate 41 40.20%
Crime 17 16.67%
Employment Opportunities 2 1.96%
Other-explain 9 8.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 11:09 PM

153 posts, read 200,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsaeed View Post
Gambling, boozing and debautchery
Pretty much this, which is why I love Vegas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 06:15 AM

150 posts, read 215,152 times
Vegas was one of the most depressing places I've ever been. Went back in 2014. First and only time.

I couldn't believe how destitute and lifeless everything north of the strip was. It's the kind of place you can only go for 3 days max before you lose your mind. Entire city revolves around a 2 mile stretch of road. Truly feel sorry for people who live there.

Airport was nice a organized though, so it's got that going for it...

So I think of depression when I think of Vegas.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:48 AM

27,557 posts, read 28,647,655 times
Gambling, of course ... Vegas is very much a one-trick pony.

Also, be prepared to lose your money since the house always wins. ;-)

Old 05-19-2017, 08:04 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,387,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey joe-joe View Post
Vegas was one of the most depressing places I've ever been. Went back in 2014. First and only time.

I couldn't believe how destitute and lifeless everything north of the strip was. It's the kind of place you can only go for 3 days max before you lose your mind. Entire city revolves around a 2 mile stretch of road. Truly feel sorry for people who live there.

Airport was nice a organized though, so it's got that going for it...

So I think of depression when I think of Vegas.
Well, that is something only a tourist would say. Las Vegas is a lively city of two million with everything or more that a city of such size can offer. People that initially move here will get tired of the strip within a couple of years or so.

Old 05-19-2017, 01:25 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,341,981 times
It is interesting to see the views and how inaccurate they are.

Gambling for instance is only a part of the LV structure...less than half now a days. Hotels, food and entertainment are a majority of strip revenue. One of the reasons that comps are far less prevalent. The money is now made off food and room and entertainment so they are no longer free. Latest thing to go is free parking and valet.

And it is a pretty vibrant city of two million. And the setting is remarkably nice.

The belief that the culture is threatening to the inhabitants is simply wrong. It does attract a core of the addicted to something but they are a small part of the population generally confined to the near strip and downtown core. The rest of the city could be plopped down in any of the southwestern cities and fit right in.

It is somewhat blue collar and has less of an educated population than say Phoenix. But it offers better pay and opportunity for the blue collar worker. And the population is not at all bother by the culture...it is in fact dominated by a relatively conservative population. Catholics and Mormons are the large and effective populations.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:01 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,594,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
It is interesting to see the views and how inaccurate they are.

Gambling for instance is only a part of the LV structure...less than half now a days. Hotels, food and entertainment are a majority of strip revenue. One of the reasons that comps are far less prevalent. The money is now made off food and room and entertainment so they are no longer free. Latest thing to go is free parking and valet.

And it is a pretty vibrant city of two million. And the setting is remarkably nice.

The belief that the culture is threatening to the inhabitants is simply wrong. It does attract a core of the addicted to something but they are a small part of the population generally confined to the near strip and downtown core. The rest of the city could be plopped down in any of the southwestern cities and fit right in.

It is somewhat blue collar and has less of an educated population than say Phoenix. But it offers better pay and opportunity for the blue collar worker. And the population is not at all bother by the culture...it is in fact dominated by a relatively conservative population. Catholics and Mormons are the large and effective populations.
Depends on what field of blue collar work. I am a local truck driver, and there a tons more driving jobs that aren't OTR here compared to the Las Vegas Valley (believe me I've looked)

Old 05-19-2017, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Depends on what field of blue collar work. I am a local truck driver, and there a tons more driving jobs that aren't OTR here compared to the Las Vegas Valley (believe me I've looked)
I would suspect that is driven by the bigger area and population of Phoenix. You might try OTR though. Las Vegas is supplied and supplies much to and from LA. We have a friend who is a specialty trucker who does three round trips a week and is happy at it.

And if you were a hotel maid or porter you would love LV.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:51 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,594,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
I would suspect that is driven by the bigger area and population of Phoenix. You might try OTR though. Las Vegas is supplied and supplies much to and from LA. We have a friend who is a specialty trucker who does three round trips a week and is happy at it.

And if you were a hotel maid or porter you would love LV.
I did my time OTR, I like being local now, and getting to sleep in my own bed every night rather than in the cab at a truck stop/rest area or worse on the street somewhere

Old 05-19-2017, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I did my time OTR, I like being local now, and getting to sleep in my own bed every night rather than in the cab at a truck stop/rest area or worse on the street somewhere
He sleeps in his bed every night barring a breakdown. Takes less than 11 hours road time for a round trip. I believe his yard is in outer LA.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:30 PM

149 posts, read 153,861 times
Bro culture and douchebags.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.