U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 12:45 PM

39 posts, read 31,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
That shouldn't be a problem for you at all. I'm a native Salt Laker and am LDS. My husband and I have Muslim friends. At least one of them is actually very, very devout. (We don't just "know" them. We associate with them socially.) After Trump's first idiotic attempt to ban refugees from predominantly Muslim countries, a large group of Mormons marched in protest. Here's another article and video about Muslims in Utah you might find worthwhile.
Thanks for answering .

I didn't think that they'd go all "we don't like your kind around here" on our family, but I know that Mormon's are very aggressive about missionary type of stuff and here in Canada we had a very uncomfortable experience with Christian missionaries (they waited by my kid's school so that they'd catch me waiting to walk him home, they pretended to be potential client for my business to get a meeting with me, and my brother in law and I wound up literally having to scare them to get them away from us) and we don't want to do a repeat of that.

Thank you for marching for refugees, though. I think that it's great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 12:55 PM

21,954 posts, read 22,094,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcahiz View Post
I didn't think that they'd go all "we don't like your kind around here" on our family, but I know that Mormon's are very aggressive about missionary type of stuff and here in Canada we had a very uncomfortable experience with Christian missionaries (they waited by my kid's school so that they'd catch me waiting to walk him home, they pretended to be potential client for my business to get a meeting with me, and my brother in law and I wound up literally having to scare them to get them away from us) and we don't want to do a repeat of that.
That would be more of an evangelical Christian approach. Mormons are very missionary-minded, but that kind of deceptiveness really isn't how we go about approaching people.

Old 05-19-2017, 01:56 PM

594 posts, read 486,026 times
Looks like your mother, sister and brother's in laws are VERY wise.
As for your description of Phoenix Summers, 5 million people seem to do just fine.
Why do I get the feeling you wouldn't be happy anywhere someone suggest.
I agree with some of the other posters, take your grits to New Mexico.
You'll just loooovvee it!

Old 05-19-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexxxcblac View Post
Looks like your mother, sister and brother's in laws are VERY wise.
As for your description of Phoenix Summers, 5 million people seem to do just fine.
Why do I get the feeling you wouldn't be happy anywhere someone suggest.
I agree with some of the other posters, take your grits to New Mexico.
You'll just loooovvee it!

That group is self selecting, people who can handle the heat move and/or stay there.

I've never seen someone take a very common preference so personally.

189m people live in Pakistan, thus there must be nothing wrong with the place, right?

That's the logical conclusion of your statement.

If you have nothing of substance to add to the rest of the thread, which I'm assuming you don't, please don't reply again. Thanks.

Old 05-19-2017, 02:58 PM

1,158 posts, read 2,020,178 times
Based on your summer heat criteria, I don't think ABQ fits your bill. Our temps in summer from late in June into early Sept. average in the 90s and there is always a couple heat spells with temps near 100.
It agrees with me, though, and it has a wonderful 4 season climate.

Maybe northern New Mexico will be more to your liking. Santa Fe? But it is very expensive.

Old 05-19-2017, 03:00 PM

1,011 posts, read 638,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcahiz View Post
That group is self selecting, people who can handle the heat move and/or stay there.

I've never seen someone take a very common preference so personally.

189m people live in Pakistan, thus there must be nothing wrong with the place, right?

That's the logical conclusion of your statement.

If you have nothing of substance to add to the rest of the thread, which I'm assuming you don't, please don't reply again. Thanks.
As you're beginning to discover, most people in Phoenix are low-lives with bird-brains, so get used to comments like that.

If I can remember correctly, the Phoenix metro has one of the least educated populations of any major metro area in the country. Also, Arizona public schools often rank dead-last from a national perspective.

When you take this into account plus the extreme summertime heat that lasts for months on end and the fact that houses are extremely close together, I just cannot -- for the life of me -- understand why someone would want to raise a family in Phoenix.

What about Sacramento?

Old 05-19-2017, 03:06 PM

6,053 posts, read 3,377,056 times
Albquerque.

New Mexico is just much more culturally vibrant than Arizona.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:59 PM

18,913 posts, read 6,844,411 times
Area most similar to Phoenix is the Pomona Valley and the Anaheim Foothills in the LA Area

Old 05-20-2017, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
As you're beginning to discover, most people in Phoenix are low-lives with bird-brains, so get used to comments like that.

If I can remember correctly, the Phoenix metro has one of the least educated populations of any major metro area in the country. Also, Arizona public schools often rank dead-last from a national perspective.

When you take this into account plus the extreme summertime heat that lasts for months on end and the fact that houses are extremely close together, I just cannot -- for the life of me -- understand why someone would want to raise a family in Phoenix.

What about Sacramento?
I've never been to Sac, although California does appeal to me. It's just that I don't know if I can handle the inflated CA taxes and still have a nice life.

How much will a townhome in a nice middle class area in Sacramento, like Chandler AZ or Lake Forest CA or West Vancouver up here in BC set me back?

I've always had nice real life experiences in Phoenix, there's less of the snobbery of California. I don't take encounters with awful people online as indicators of real life. Online anonymity allows bitter shut ins to express themselves without any consequences, the Vancouver city forum on Reddit is a great example of that.

Old 05-20-2017, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Area most similar to Phoenix is the Pomona Valley and the Anaheim Foothills in the LA Area
I

I would say that North/Central OC is a better match. Alas I couldn't afford to live in the area you named unless it's in a cruddy apartment complex in Ontario, SoCal is too expensive, most of CA is too expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or