U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 02:52 PM

21,208 posts, read 30,427,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcahiz View Post
I'm *coming out* of Canada, and I'm from California. I don't understand why you felt compelled to make that comment.

Like I keep having to repeat in this thread, we're a Muslim family with children. We would like to live in a family friendly city that we can afford, where a Muslim family would be comfortable. Palm Desert California isn't that.
Gay men don't eat children, nor make life uncomfortable for them. That seems more your job and why I felt compelled to make that comment. Good luck in your search!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2017, 04:03 PM

3,071 posts, read 1,816,164 times
Fresno!

Old 05-20-2017, 04:31 PM

17,731 posts, read 4,100,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Sounds a tad stereotypical (especially as someone who happens to be "eclectic"), and wildly inaccurate since the schools are so highly rated. I guess I should have taken the clue since you were coming out of Phoenix. Perhaps Oklahoma or West Texas would be better fits for you.
West Texas and Oklahoma are both too hot for OP plus i dont think a muslim would be comfortable in either place or at least West Texas.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:21 AM

39 posts, read 31,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Gay men don't eat children, nor make life uncomfortable for them. That seems more your job and why I felt compelled to make that comment. Good luck in your search!
It seems your compulsion is to get attention and make this thread about you.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:09 AM

4,114 posts, read 9,237,770 times
Quote:
I'm a native of Anaheim, CA. I've been living in British Columbia since college, and now I would like to move back to the states. My family is spread throughout the southwest, from San Antonio to LA but my mother and my sister and brother and law's family live in Phoenix. It's a great city, I really enjoy it and I could see myself living there....from Thanksgiving until April 1st.

The weather is just so bad during the warmer half of the year, I couldn't even breathe last time I was there in June, it just sucks the air out of your lungs and all the moisture from your body. I like the lack of humidity, but I can't do the weather.

What's a place like Phoenix, but with more moderate temperatures? To define that, I mean averaging in the 70s or 80s (Fahrenheit) in the depths of summer with the highs not getting above 90s. I love the desert, the wide open spaces, the Mexican food and all of those things. I know SoCal seems to be the obvious choice but I can't afford it, I have a son and a pregnant wife and I would like to purchase a respectable townhome with good schools in an area that I feel comfortable with my children growing up in. In California I can't do that, and the tax burden on my business will be too high. The reason why we're leaving my wife's family in Vancouver is the excessive cost of living.

$250k is my max budget for the sort of place described above. I would like to be in a large city, similar to Phoenix in a natural environment and layout (wide open southwestern terrain, sprawling suburbs and newer homes) in a decent sized metropolitan area.

Thanks for your help.
Albuquerque. You can expand the definition of this region to also include cities like Bernalillo, Rio Rancho, and Santa Fe. But, this region of north-central New Mexico is quite lovely. While the winters can be chilly, they're seldom chilly to the degree which you'd find in Salt Lake City or Denver (it was snowing in Denver last week--in mid-May!). While the summers can be scorching, they're seldom scorching to the degree which you'd find in Phoenix or Riverside.

Yeah, you owe it to yourself to visit north-central New Mexico.

Some other alternatives worthy of consideration might be Reno, Flagstaff, and El Paso. But, even in those places, while the weather is still seasonably favorable compared to the likes of Denver and Riverside, it still isn't as favorable overall as Albuquerque, no less much of coastal California.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:38 AM

11,290 posts, read 7,885,503 times
Quote:
I'm a native of Anaheim, CA. I've been living in British Columbia since college, and now I would like to move back to the states. My family is spread throughout the southwest, from San Antonio to LA but my mother and my sister and brother and law's family live in Phoenix. It's a great city, I really enjoy it and I could see myself living there....from Thanksgiving until April 1st.

The weather is just so bad during the warmer half of the year, I couldn't even breathe last time I was there in June, it just sucks the air out of your lungs and all the moisture from your body. I like the lack of humidity, but I can't do the weather.

What's a place like Phoenix, but with more moderate temperatures? To define that, I mean averaging in the 70s or 80s (Fahrenheit) in the depths of summer with the highs not getting above 90s. I love the desert, the wide open spaces, the Mexican food and all of those things. I know SoCal seems to be the obvious choice but I can't afford it, I have a son and a pregnant wife and I would like to purchase a respectable townhome with good schools in an area that I feel comfortable with my children growing up in. In California I can't do that, and the tax burden on my business will be too high. The reason why we're leaving my wife's family in Vancouver is the excessive cost of living.

$250k is my max budget for the sort of place described above. I would like to be in a large city, similar to Phoenix in a natural environment and layout (wide open southwestern terrain, sprawling suburbs and newer homes) in a decent sized metropolitan area.

Thanks for your help.
I would highly consider El Paso and underrated city. It is has the perfect climate IMO and meets your criteria without having as many cold blasts as ABQ. It is a tad warmer than what you want but those days are the ones above average. Seasonal summer monsoon rains will usually cool down those warmer days.

It's consistently rated as one of the top safest cities to live in and usually if you hear someone talking trash about the city it's because they are probably going by an old and negative stereotype and/or never been or lived there. It's a great place to raise a family. It's more of a hometown and not very cosmopolitan. The people are very friendly and the far majority are bilingual and you don't need to know spanish unless you deal with certain businesses.

It has very nice and newer housing tracks with all the amenities and is growing. Cost of living is good as well as the schools and there is no state income tax. The west side of El Paso is more appealing and is very worth checking out as in zip code 79912. El Paso is not as big and sprawling as Phoenix but big enough and halfway between your relatives.

Nearby Las Cruces NM is also very nice but much smaller than what you like but still El Paso is less than an hour away.

You didn't mention anything about a job so I assume you don't need to be at a certain locality.

Last edited by WildWestDude; 05-23-2017 at 10:29 AM..

Old 05-23-2017, 10:10 AM

15,096 posts, read 19,053,475 times
OP I contributed of your other thread on the Phoenix forum, not realizing that you are Muslim. I'll retract my recommendation of Arkansas and Alabama because of that additional piece of information. I'll confirm my recommendation of Raleigh as a good possibility.

I'll also suggest you look at Houston, Cleveland (the single most under rated city I've EVER visited), Atlanta and Philadelphia (though the cold weather may not suit you.) All those have suburbs that may fit your needs - I am NOT suggesting the downtown areas.

This is a bit outdated, but may be helpful America's Muslim Capitals

Good luck.

Old 05-23-2017, 12:18 PM

2,296 posts, read 1,565,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexxxcblac View Post
Looks like your mother, sister and brother's in laws are VERY wise.
As for your description of Phoenix Summers, 5 million people seem to do just fine.
Why do I get the feeling you wouldn't be happy anywhere someone suggest.
I agree with some of the other posters, take your grits to New Mexico.
You'll just loooovvee it!
Probably because he has multiple threads on this topic and all he does is keep asking the same type of questions? Kind of a mental exercise for him apparently.

Old 05-23-2017, 12:23 PM

2,296 posts, read 1,565,142 times
Quote:
Palm Desert is just as hot as Phoenix with less of a family friendly atmosphere. That whole area from Indio to Palm Springs is an *eclectic* mix of retirees with shall we say alternative lifestyles and drug addicts/dealers.

I think CA is pretty much off limits for our family. I hate that because I love California but it's impossible for our family to afford a community that is appropriate for us, with the sort of home that my wife and child (and future child/ren) deserve to live in.
I've done exhaustive research and there is only one answer.

Texarkana. It has the double pleasure of being located in two states. You can't beat that. Plus every time I hear of that town I think of the song " Cotton Fields Back Home." Can't get much more family friendly than that really.

Or you can try Sacramento. I don't think it's that expensive. I lived there or 11 years. But maybe I'm richer than you. I don't know.

Old 05-23-2017, 12:53 PM

18,927 posts, read 6,897,970 times
Quote:
Palm Desert is just as hot as Phoenix with less of a family friendly atmosphere. That whole area from Indio to Palm Springs is an *eclectic* mix of retirees with shall we say alternative lifestyles and drug addicts/dealers.

I think CA is pretty much off limits for our family. I hate that because I love California but it's impossible for our family to afford a community that is appropriate for us, with the sort of home that my wife and child (and future child/ren) deserve to live in.
Deserve sounds entitled. You only get what you can afford. Hence, I would like to live in a condo or house, but can only afford an apartment. Don't feel I deserve a house or condo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or