Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 12:57 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
OP I contributed of your other thread on the Phoenix forum, not realizing that you are Muslim. I'll retract my recommendation of Arkansas and Alabama because of that additional piece of information. I'll confirm my recommendation of Raleigh as a good possibility.

I'll also suggest you look at Houston, Cleveland (the single most under rated city I've EVER visited), Atlanta and Philadelphia (though the cold weather may not suit you.) All those have suburbs that may fit your needs - I am NOT suggesting the downtown areas.

This is a bit outdated, but may be helpful America's Muslim Capitals

Good luck.
Houston has really hot summers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 01:36 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,959,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
That shouldn't be a problem for you at all. I'm a native Salt Laker and am LDS. My husband and I have Muslim friends. At least one of them is actually very, very devout. (We don't just "know" them. We associate with them socially.) After Trump's first idiotic attempt to ban refugees from predominantly Muslim countries, a large group of Mormons marched in protest. Here's another article and video about Muslims in Utah you might find worthwhile.
Did they march in protest when Obama placed travel restrictions on the same countries, too? I bet not. Let your panties untangle a bit.

OP, you could look into places like El Paso or Las Cruces. Both are hot in the summer, but nothing like Phoenix, and have little-to-no snow ever.

Old 05-23-2017, 01:40 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,959,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
As you're beginning to discover, most people in Phoenix are low-lives with bird-brains, so get used to comments like that.

If I can remember correctly, the Phoenix metro has one of the least educated populations of any major metro area in the country. Also, Arizona public schools often rank dead-last from a national perspective.

When you take this into account plus the extreme summertime heat that lasts for months on end and the fact that houses are extremely close together, I just cannot -- for the life of me -- understand why someone would want to raise a family in Phoenix.

What about Sacramento?
Speaking of bird-brained, your post reeks of it.

PHX is the fastest growing city in the nation. To insult millions and millions of people who CHOOSE to live here is absolutely ludicrous. Yes, summer is hot. What place, spare San Diego, doesn't have undesireable weather in one form or another, for part of the year? We bask in 330 days of sun a year, enjoy every amenity known to man, are surrounded by gorgeous mountains, abundant outdoor activities (which are unhampered by weather), and live in a state with intense natural beauty. Go take a hike.

Old 05-23-2017, 05:18 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,300,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Speaking of bird-brained, your post reeks of it.

PHX is the fastest growing city in the nation. To insult millions and millions of people who CHOOSE to live here is absolutely ludicrous. Yes, summer is hot. What place, spare San Diego, doesn't have undesireable weather in one form or another, for part of the year? We bask in 330 days of sun a year, enjoy every amenity known to man, are surrounded by gorgeous mountains, abundant outdoor activities (which are unhampered by weather), and live in a state with intense natural beauty. Go take a hike.
Agreed, BIG CATS. I lived in Sacramento for 11 years. It's no big deal . In fact, it gets very hot there for several months a year, although it cools down at night. Just an average city to me. Only major sports is the Sacramento Kings which no-one cares about. It does have a lower cost of living than the Bay Area so I'll give it that. I can choose to live wherever I want and I"m looking at the Valley.

Old 05-23-2017, 06:12 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Let your panties untangle a bit.
I have no idea what I said that prompted this remark (unless maybe you're just a Trump fan whose feelings are easily hurt), but I thank you for your kind (if rather odd) interest in my panties. I can assure you that they are doing just fine and need no untangling. Yours too, I hope.

Old 06-01-2017, 09:21 PM

1 posts, read 497 times
Have you considered the City of Tucson, AZ? Its only a little over an hour south of Phoenix on a major interstate. We have pretty good weather 10 months out of the year, with summer being a little warm, if you are from a colder state. It doesn't get as hot as PHX. in the summer and offers a lot of different cultures and access to great food and music. Its also only about a 5-6 hour drive to L.A. or San Diego region. We have mountains and some pretty nice parks and hiking trails in and around the city. I have lived here 2 years and enjoy the lower cost of living compared to other South Western Cities.

Old 06-01-2017, 09:28 PM

51 posts, read 51,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Southern California isn't completely off the charts. Check out the Palm Desert area which has plenty in your price range in desirable neighborhoods with good schools. https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...t/12_zm/0_mmm/
If they want to escape Phoenix due to the weather, don't recommend Palm Desert lol.

Old 06-01-2017, 11:30 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizonahiker View Post
Have you considered the City of Tucson, AZ? Its only a little over an hour south of Phoenix on a major interstate. We have pretty good weather 10 months out of the year, with summer being a little warm, if you are from a colder state. It doesn't get as hot as PHX. in the summer and offers a lot of different cultures and access to great food and music. Its also only about a 5-6 hour drive to L.A. or San Diego region. We have mountains and some pretty nice parks and hiking trails in and around the city. I have lived here 2 years and enjoy the lower cost of living compared to other South Western Cities.
Only thing Tucson is lacking is a decent job market

Old 06-03-2017, 11:09 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcahiz View Post
I thought you were pulling my leg but I looked it up and woah. Can't believe that's Arizona!!

What's good there? No place is perfect, but it depends if the pros weigh out the cons. Phoenix is pretty ideal for us but the heat make it unbearable. Cold weather I handle better because you can put on a coat and be okay unless it's a windy blizzard.

What's the culture like? The schools? The people? We're a Muslim family, will my son have problems at school and/or will I have to worry that someone calls my wife a terrorist while she's at the mall or something? I know that sort of thing is everywhere, but there are some places that are more open and some places that have a lot more hate.
Flagstaff gets a fair amt. of snow, though, OP. MUCH more than similar elevations in NM. I got caught in a snowstorm when I drove through there in early November a couple of years ago. OTOH, that can be pretty refreshing after living in the dry, hot desert for years.

On the plus side, there's a university in town, which is a nice amenity to have, if you're into good lectures and other programs open to the public. There's an astronomical observatory on the edge of town. Nice little downtown, lots of international cuisine in the restaurants. As to your family being from another culture, I suspect Flag is pretty tolerant, because there are quite a few Native people in town, from the nearby reservations. It's similar to Santa Fe, in that respect. Maybe a bit less multi-cultural than Santa Fe, but still diverse enough. A decent-sized university usually means there's a strong liberal element, as well.

But it's a small town. You said at one point, you wanted a big city. That's not Flagstaff. But if you think a smaller town could work for you (compromising a little on your list of criteria will probably be inevitable, anyway), than you might like Flagstaff. From Phx, you could drive up there and check it out. It's much closer to the Grand Canyon, too. If you want to go there for a weekend trip, I recommend going very soon. It does get into the 90's later in the summer. The hotel rates jump up in the spring/summer, and especially on weekends, too. Try a mid-week trip, if you can. Or try in the fall.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 06-03-2017 at 11:23 PM..

Old 06-03-2017, 11:12 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizonahiker View Post

Don't even think about it, OP. You want to go north, not south, for cooler weather. North, and up in elevation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.