U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 08:32 AM

39 posts, read 31,522 times

Advertisements

I'm a native of Anaheim, CA. I've been living in British Columbia since college, and now I would like to move back to the states. My family is spread throughout the southwest, from San Antonio to LA but my mother and my sister and brother and law's family live in Phoenix. It's a great city, I really enjoy it and I could see myself living there....from Thanksgiving until April 1st.

The weather is just so bad during the warmer half of the year, I couldn't even breathe last time I was there in June, it just sucks the air out of your lungs and all the moisture from your body. I like the lack of humidity, but I can't do the weather.

What's a place like Phoenix, but with more moderate temperatures? To define that, I mean averaging in the 70s or 80s (Fahrenheit) in the depths of summer with the highs not getting above 90s. I love the desert, the wide open spaces, the Mexican food and all of those things. I know SoCal seems to be the obvious choice but I can't afford it, I have a son and a pregnant wife and I would like to purchase a respectable townhome with good schools in an area that I feel comfortable with my children growing up in. In California I can't do that, and the tax burden on my business will be too high. The reason why we're leaving my wife's family in Vancouver is the excessive cost of living.

$250k is my max budget for the sort of place described above. I would like to be in a large city, similar to Phoenix in a natural environment and layout (wide open southwestern terrain, sprawling suburbs and newer homes) in a decent sized metropolitan area.

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 08:35 AM

10,279 posts, read 4,852,828 times
Flagstaff too cold for you? How about Albuquerque, NM?

Old 05-19-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I know nothing of either of those two places. I've only ever seen Flagstaff on signs on the freeway and only know that Albuquerque exists because of Breaking Bad.

I don't mind if a place is chilly in the winter, as long as it isn't Chicago/Toronto cold with intense snow storms.

Old 05-19-2017, 09:16 AM

10,279 posts, read 4,852,828 times
Right now it's 70 degrees in Phoenix at 8:14 a.m. (their time) and 42 degrees in Flagstaff which is in the mountains. I think they had some light snow overnight. For me personally, I don't want to see snow after March.

Old 05-19-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Right now it's 70 degrees in Phoenix at 8:14 a.m. (their time) and 42 degrees in Flagstaff which is in the mountains. I think they had some light snow overnight. For me personally, I don't want to see snow after March.
I thought you were pulling my leg but I looked it up and woah. Can't believe that's Arizona!!

What's good there? No place is perfect, but it depends if the pros weigh out the cons. Phoenix is pretty ideal for us but the heat make it unbearable. Cold weather I handle better because you can put on a coat and be okay unless it's a windy blizzard.

What's the culture like? The schools? The people? We're a Muslim family, will my son have problems at school and/or will I have to worry that someone calls my wife a terrorist while she's at the mall or something? I know that sort of thing is everywhere, but there are some places that are more open and some places that have a lot more hate.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:01 AM

3,266 posts, read 3,244,810 times
Albuquerque was mentioned earlier as an alternative to Phoenix. It's in the southwest but it's economy is faring poorly by comparison to much of the West. COL is thus somewhat lower perhaps understandably.
How about Salt Lake City as an alternative to the true southwest?

Old 05-19-2017, 10:06 AM

10,425 posts, read 8,776,219 times
Quote:
Yep 4 non-extreme seasons each actually lasting about 3 months. The nasty springtime storms generally start east of the Sandia Mountains and continue on in that direction.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Albuquerque was mentioned earlier as an alternative to Phoenix. It's in the southwest but it's economy is faring poorly by comparison to much of the West. COL is thus somewhat lower perhaps understandably.
How about Salt Lake City as an alternative to the true southwest?
I own my own business and I can work in any city with an international airport and a post office.

As for Salt Lake City, we're Muslim, will the Mormons there give my family grief?

Old 05-19-2017, 11:51 AM

21,954 posts, read 22,094,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcahiz View Post
As for Salt Lake City, we're Muslim, will the Mormons there give my family grief?
That shouldn't be a problem for you at all. I'm a native Salt Laker and am LDS. My husband and I have Muslim friends. At least one of them is actually very, very devout. (We don't just "know" them. We associate with them socially.) After Trump's first idiotic attempt to ban refugees from predominantly Muslim countries, a large group of Mormons marched in protest. Here's another article and video about Muslims in Utah you might find worthwhile.

Old 05-19-2017, 11:56 AM

17,653 posts, read 4,055,214 times
I think ABQ could work.I dont think people will give you much grief for being a muslim.I would not live in Salt Lake City because I am a evangelical christian and they have given me and my family grief so i can only imagine how much more difficult it would be for you,OP.However, there really nice people.ABQ has a mild 4 season climate with great scenery.Schools are bad in the Duke City though but better around Rio Rancho which is a suburb.However, i hear crime is bad there but dont go to the War Zone and hang with Breaking Bad types and you will prolly be okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or