Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The average Midwesterner fits better in
The Northeast 58 41.43%
The South 82 58.57%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 01:00 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times

Advertisements

I think that it depends on what part of the midwest is being compared to the northeast or the south. Someone from St. Louis may fit in certain southern cities like Baltimore, than they would in a city like Boston. That same person may fit in better with Pittsburgh than they would in DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 01:12 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,049,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I was raised in the upper Midwest, live in the south and have traveled extensively. I am convinced most Midwest people would adapt better to southern culture rather than northeast culture. Northeastern people are very fast paced, aggressive and down to business. The polite small talk you find a lot of in the south and a fair bit in the Midwest would be considered intrusive and unwanted in the northeast. Also social values lean to the right a bit in most Midwest places, even states that vote blue. The extreme progressive positions commonly held in New York would be alien states like Wisconsin or Ohio. It's a much smaller gap between the values of the Midwest and those of the northeast. Even urban Midwest people from Chicago or Detroit are not really like thier counterparts in New York and Boston, they are STILL midwestern. I'm going with the south on this one.
You realize the progressive movement was born of Wisconsin? You seem to think it's some kind of Red state and I don't know why. Politically the Upper Midwest is more similar to any part of the NE than the South.

Old 06-02-2017, 01:36 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
You realize the progressive movement was born of Wisconsin? You seem to think it's some kind of Red state and I don't know why. Politically the Upper Midwest is more similar to any part of the NE than the South.
As of the last election it is, plus they have a pretty conservative governor that survived a recall.

Old 06-02-2017, 03:15 PM

309 posts, read 307,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Hmm, I see where you're coming from, but that mostly applies to individuals over the age of 35. Things like speech, accents, attitude, and acclimation to weather are a wash, and aren't really important to such individuals within the proper environment. Now the mindstate behind Politics within the Black community in the south are all pretty much the same. It's VERY difficult to find Right Wing individuals; not to mention I'm sure you'd find larger Black Gay communities within the South as well.

When I said Black people from the Midwest would fit in better than the Northeast, I was talking about millennials and the larger Black cultural environments/experiences you'd find in the South. Dallas, Atlanta, Houston, Miami, Charlotte, New Orleans, Richmond, Birmingham, Raleigh, and etc. The cultural institutions, jobs, education, prosperous communities, nightlife, activities, cost of living, etc. that you'd find if the South moreso than the Northeast and it accepts those from various backgrounds.

It just seems as a more easier and comfortable environment to fit or transition into.

Yeah I imagine you would (and should) find larger Black gay communities, affluent communities, cultural institutions, and such down south as the South has a much higher proportion and raw number of Blacks within its population.

However, as a Black millennial who grew up between Chicagoland and western Missouri, I can assure you when I travel to and spend years schooling in places like Dallas, Atlanta, Memphis, Arkansas, or any other place south of US 60, most Black and white locals can immediately tell by my speech/lack of twang in my voice and hardiness to cooler weather that I'm not "from there."

Yes, we Blacks share several similarities within our diaspora regardless of geography. Despite any real and/or imagined similarities throughout the Black diaspora, I still contend that the average Black southerner is going to have more on common with the average white southerner based on cuisine, hardiness to weather, politics (don't underestimate the conservatism of deeply religious Black southerners), intensity/devotion to religion, and speech patterns/accent. Northern/southern peculiarities are very much alive in those of us under 35, as well. My friends from Chicago, Detroit, Memphis, and Dallas would agree.

Old 06-02-2017, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
As of the last election it is, plus they have a pretty conservative governor that survived a recall.
You don't know of Wisconsin's history nor about their people. Using 1 freak election and a governor means jack. Is Massachusetts conservative because of Mittens?

Old 06-02-2017, 03:23 PM

Also it seems like people miss the fact that Midwesterners would immediately stand out as being not local in the South. No Northeastern native would honestly notice a Midwestern person as a non local unless they asked.

It's not as if Midwesterners act, think, or talk Southern as a whole.

Also, someone keeps bringing up Black people. But, even if we just use Whites as an example, Midwestern Whites are a lot more like Northeastern ones even down to their appearance. You don't see tons of European diversity in the South like you do up North. Some Illinois or Michigan Polish or Italian person wouldn't even *look* like most Southern Whites.

Old 06-02-2017, 03:49 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Also it seems like people miss the fact that Midwesterners would immediately stand out as being not local in the South. No Northeastern native would honestly notice a Midwestern person as a non local unless they asked.

It's not as if Midwesterners act, think, or talk Southern as a whole.

Also, someone keeps bringing up Black people. But, even if we just use Whites as an example, Midwestern Whites are a lot more like Northeastern ones even down to their appearance. You don't see tons of European diversity in the South like you do up North. Some Illinois or Michigan Polish or Italian person wouldn't even *look* like most Southern Whites.
How can you be so sure of either? There are great variances of people in all regions, and my making such a bold claim, you've omitted those variances.

Old 06-02-2017, 03:53 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,884,468 times
I'll say it again, this thread is not right. Any time you try to stereotype a group of people, based on where they live, is ridiculous. Just. plain. ridiculous.

Old 06-02-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
How can you be so sure of either? There are great variances of people in all regions, and my making such a bold claim, you've omitted those variances.
That's why I said average. Your average Midwesterner is not that different from anybody average in the Northeast. Be it ethnically, politically, culturally, or even linguistically.

Old 06-02-2017, 04:23 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,884,468 times
People aren't like little statues you can put in your pocket, and set them where you think they'll fit best. They aren't pieces on a chessboard. They don't all talk the same, think the same, or act the same. I just thought I'd throw that out there, because what you're asking of people, presumes this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.