U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: The average Midwesterner fits better in
The Northeast 56 40.58%
The South 82 59.42%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-23-2017, 07:16 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA (Morningside)
12,419 posts, read 11,920,328 times
Reputation: 10536

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Check out the population stats from the Census. Midwesterners are moving to the South in droves, and have been for years. They are not moving to the Northeast in any great numbers at all.

I'm one of them (via Florida), and you couldn't blast me out of here.

The poll results seem to reflect the reality on the ground much more than the majority of the posts in the thread so far as well.
Northeasterners also move to the South in droves, and don't move to the Midwest. Does that mean that Northeasterners also fit in better in the South?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-23-2017, 07:25 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,290 posts, read 3,506,771 times
Reputation: 4464
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Northeasterners also move to the South in droves, and don't move to the Midwest. Does that mean that Northeasterners also fit in better in the South?
It would appear so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2017, 08:05 AM
sub
 
787 posts, read 408,676 times
Reputation: 1356
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
It would appear so.
It is all about economy and weather, not culture. Perhaps politics, which has led to the economies in each region being what they are. That sums it up.
Culturally, they are fish out of water unless they overwhelm an area with shear numbers or simply adapt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2017, 08:27 AM
 
29,918 posts, read 27,365,450 times
Reputation: 18455
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
It is all about economy and weather, not culture. Perhaps politics, which has led to the economies in each region being what they are. That sums it up.
Culturally, they are fish out of water unless they overwhelm an area with shear numbers or simply adapt.
They adapt.

And let's not forget, many are moving from the suburban Northeast to the suburban South, so it's not that big of an adjustment. Suburbia is pretty much the same everywhere with few variations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2017, 11:09 AM
_OT
 
Location: Miami
2,144 posts, read 1,519,895 times
Reputation: 1848
I don't know about the others, but from what I've seen, Black people from the Midwest fit in better in the South than the Northeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2017, 07:52 PM
 
4,802 posts, read 3,843,107 times
Reputation: 2585
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
I don't know about the others, but from what I've seen, Black people from the Midwest fit in better in the South than the Northeast.
This huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2017, 07:53 PM
 
4,802 posts, read 3,843,107 times
Reputation: 2585
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Check out the population stats from the Census. Midwesterners are moving to the South in droves, and have been for years. They are not moving to the Northeast in any great numbers at all.

I'm one of them (via Florida), and you couldn't blast me out of here.

The poll results seem to reflect the reality on the ground much more than the majority of the posts in the thread so far as well.
Those same stats show tons of Northeastern people moving to the South. Does this mean EVERYONE fits better in the South or does your post really have nothing to do with the thread?

Offer me enough money and I move anywhere. But does that mean I will fit in? Come on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2017, 08:46 PM
 
Location: Land of Ill Noise
956 posts, read 1,774,710 times
Reputation: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
I don't know what a typical midwesterner is.

*I* would prefer to move to the Northeast and I prefer visiting the Northeast, prefer the weather, prefer the urban environments, find the small towns more charming. But I'm sure if you sent me to live in Atlanta I'd get by just fine. If you put me in a small town/small city in the south, I'd lose my freaking mind. I lived in a small borderline southern city for a time and I DID lose my freaking mind. Hated it.
I think you'd probably do fine, if you lived in a college town. Think like Athens, GA(home of University of Georgia), Chapel Hill, NC(home of U. of North Carolina), Clemson, SC(home of Clemson), Knoxville(home to University of Tennessee), Auburn, AL(home of Auburn University), to name examples. Now if you're talking about an isolated small Southern town in the middle of nowhere, I'd totally agree with you! That said, I wish the South had better public transit, and was less car dependent. Not much I can do about that, since I've noticed this factor all over places I've traveled in the South. For example, I know Athens, GA(where my uncle and aunt live) has a limited public transit bus system, and not surprisingly most people largely choose to drive instead of taking the bus.

I've visited both places in the Northeast and South. And while it might sound surprising to some, I feel like if I had to move out of the Midwest, I feel I'd fit in better in the South. I still hadn't forgotten how rude and fast paced NYC felt to me at times, from when I visited there in the past. I did like the parts of Connecticut I did visit more than NYC(including New Haven), and upstate New York more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2017, 12:55 PM
 
Location: Yakima WA
4,403 posts, read 4,607,681 times
Reputation: 3848
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
I think you'd probably do fine, if you lived in a college town. Think like Athens, GA(home of University of Georgia), Chapel Hill, NC(home of U. of North Carolina), Clemson, SC(home of Clemson), Knoxville(home to University of Tennessee), Auburn, AL(home of Auburn University), to name examples. Now if you're talking about an isolated small Southern town in the middle of nowhere, I'd totally agree with you! That said, I wish the South had better public transit, and was less car dependent. Not much I can do about that, since I've noticed this factor all over places I've traveled in the South. For example, I know Athens, GA(where my uncle and aunt live) has a limited public transit bus system, and not surprisingly most people largely choose to drive instead of taking the bus.

I've visited both places in the Northeast and South. And while it might sound surprising to some, I feel like if I had to move out of the Midwest, I feel I'd fit in better in the South. I still hadn't forgotten how rude and fast paced NYC felt to me at times, from when I visited there in the past. I did like the parts of Connecticut I did visit more than NYC(including New Haven), and upstate New York more.
That was a point I made earlier. It's a big thing in both Midwestern and Southern cultures to be nice/polite. That doesn't exist in the Northeast, especially the bigger cities. I spent my early life in the Midwest and people I met from both NYC and Philly really rubbed me the wrong way. They were rude and pushy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2017, 01:16 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,735 posts, read 6,141,582 times
Reputation: 3590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
That was a point I made earlier. It's a big thing in both Midwestern and Southern cultures to be nice/polite. That doesn't exist in the Northeast, especially the bigger cities. I spent my early life in the Midwest and people I met from both NYC and Philly really rubbed me the wrong way. They were rude and pushy.
I never understood why people allow themselves to be pushed around by someone from NYC. They're harmless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top