U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The average Midwesterner fits better in
The Northeast 56 40.58%
The South 82 59.42%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 05:05 PM

4,802 posts, read 3,840,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
I'm originally from the NYC metro, currently living in Ohio.

The Midwest is such an expansive and surprisingly diverse region. Second generation Arab-Americans living in Dearborn, Applachians in coal communities in Southern Ohio, African-Americans from the east side of Cleveland, the 1%-ers living on Chicago's north shore, farmers in Iowa etc.

I'll stick to Ohio since that's what I know.

Most people in the cities of Cleveland and Columbus and their close in suburbs would fit in better in the northeast or larger urban centers in the south, such as Atlanta. Cincinnati and its inner suburbs fall into this category as well but probably to a lesser degree. You can throw in Toledo, Youngstown, Dayton, Akron and the rest of Ohio's second tier urban centers.

The exurbs, further out suburbs and many rural communities of the state would fit in better in the south.
You don't think rural Ohio has a similar feel to rural Pennsylvania without the mountains?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 05:21 PM

4,668 posts, read 6,110,144 times
There's two types of people in the US. Small town and big city. Region doesn't matter as much as some people think it does.

Old 05-24-2017, 05:47 PM
_OT

2,143 posts, read 1,518,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
This huh?
This what?

Old 05-24-2017, 05:52 PM

20,846 posts, read 35,932,344 times
Northeast, other than the southern portions of the Midwest- which already have quite a bit in common with the South or at least a mix.

Old 05-24-2017, 06:15 PM

3,024 posts, read 2,461,585 times
What's an average Midwesterner? Like some others have said on here, the Midwest is a really diverse region. The Northeast and the South are also really diverse regions.

Since I think there's more differences within each region than there are between regions, I'm going to say the "Northeast" by a hair, solely due to climate and that Southern culture is somewhat uniquely distinct compared to Northeast culture.

Old 05-24-2017, 06:23 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,400,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
You don't think rural Ohio has a similar feel to rural Pennsylvania without the mountains?
I guess it does depending on the part. I guess when I thought of "the northeast" I was thinking more of the major metro areas and not the rural hinterlands, which you are right, can be fairly similar to Ohio's.

Old 05-24-2017, 11:01 PM

6,059 posts, read 3,379,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
There's two types of people in the US. Small town and big city. Region doesn't matter as much as some people think it does.

I think you're over simplifying it. I know I for sure would rather live in rural Iowa than rural Mississippi. There's still plenty of cultural differences between the Midwest and South. From accents, to food, to religion, to politics. Midwestern conservatives tend to be more middle of the road (so do the liberals) where Southern conservatives tend to be further right. Religion is seen as a more private matter up north, its all up in your face down south.

Old 05-24-2017, 11:18 PM

4,668 posts, read 6,110,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I think you're over simplifying it. I know I for sure would rather live in rural Iowa than rural Mississippi. There's still plenty of cultural differences between the Midwest and South. From accents, to food, to religion, to politics. Midwestern conservatives tend to be more middle of the road (so do the liberals) where Southern conservatives tend to be further right. Religion is seen as a more private matter up north, its all up in your face down south.
You're right, I'm wrong. You're smart, I'm stupid. You're good looking, I'm..not..that..attractive.

Fair enough. Good points... because I agree with you now.

A farmer from Iowa or Wisconsin would blend in much easier in a farming community in upstate New York or rural Penn. than they would a farming community in Alabama or Georgia.

Old 05-25-2017, 11:52 AM

4,802 posts, read 3,840,611 times
By Northeast I include even rural Northeast. Pretty sure a Northeastern farmer would feel as out of place in Manhattan than they would on a farm in Ohio or Indiana. I don't know why people think Northeast is analogous with urban.

Also, I think an urban Midwestern person would stand out amongst locals more in the South than in the Northeast. They just have to open their mouth to speak. In the Northeast, nothing immediate about most Midwest types would seem "out of place".

The Midwest vibe varies less from the Northeast one than the Southern.

Old 05-26-2017, 01:20 PM

211 posts, read 172,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
And I'm going with the South, because Red States.

I'm not considering people from Chicago to be the average Midwesterner.
The problem is that they are and most would self identify as such.

With that said, I say NE because, as a previous poster indicated, much of the Midwest was developed by people from the NE. I imagine the similarities in climate and historical manufacturing/industrial output play a role, as well.

Both NE and Midwest are also still generally faster paced than a majority of the South outside (and sometimes including) the big four southern metros.

BTW, if Chicago isn't the Midwest, then Dallas, Houston, & Miami aren't the South...

Last edited by 2000_Watts; 05-26-2017 at 01:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or