U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: The average Midwesterner fits better in
The Northeast 56 40.58%
The South 82 59.42%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-26-2017, 01:42 PM
 
212 posts, read 173,209 times
Reputation: 246

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
I don't know about the others, but from what I've seen, Black people from the Midwest fit in better in the South than the Northeast.
I see where you're going with this....

Black folks from the Midwest may share culture and customs with blacks down south due to the likelihood of being distant relatives and overall similarities throughout black culture unrelated to geography.

However, black folks from "up north", still, in fact, stick out to black folks "down south" due to overall differences in culture, speech, accents, attitude, intensity of religion, liberalism, politics, and acclimation to weather between the NE/Midwest and the South.

Most people from the South (black, white, or other) still consider the Midwest (great lakes and otherwise) "up north," as they would the NE/East Coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-26-2017, 02:16 PM
 
212 posts, read 173,209 times
Reputation: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Yes, I agree with this. I think places like

Ohio
Michigan
Wisconsin
Minnesota

Are probably more like the Northeast whereas places like:

Indiana
Missouri
Some of Illinois
Kansas

Probably have more Southern carryover.

Middle America states like Iowa or Nebraska seem to be so uniquely Midwestern that I think their residents might think either place is too different from their home.

I think that these places

Pennsylvania
New York
Connecticut
Rhode Island
Vermont
New Hampshire
And even Maine

Won't seem very different to what most people in the Midwest are used to.

Heck, put your average Ohioan anywhere in the Northeast and I think they wouldn't feel very out of place at all. Now someone from Kansas...different story
Overall, this assessment isn't too far fetched, except a couple of main points:

1.) Yes, there are sizeable chunks of Missouri that are legit "South," as SE MO and through the Bootheel might as well be AR/MS/West TN. South Central and SW MO is a good hybrid of Midwest and South. However, Metropolitan KC/STL together hold nearly 60% of Missouri's population and are both SOLIDLY Midwestern. If the average midwesterner would fit more in the NE than the south, then it should apply to the average Missourian as more than half live in areas that identify as Midwest.

2.) For Kansas, I imagine much of the landscape/development (or lack thereof) mirrors that of Nebraska/Iowa, so I'd say that a Kansan living in the vast majority of the land area the state occupies would have an experience much like you described for someone from rural NE/IA. Most Kansans, however live in one of six counties, with three as part of metro KC and two of the remaining three within an hour of downtown KCMO. So due to population distribution, I'd wager most Kansans are more likely to fit better in the NE than the south as the vast majority of most Kansans either live in a mid sized or large Midwestern metro.

Despite all that, I mostly agree with your post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2017, 03:03 PM
_OT
 
Location: Miami
2,145 posts, read 1,525,744 times
Reputation: 1848
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_Watts View Post
I see where you're going with this....

Black folks from the Midwest may share culture and customs with blacks down south due to the likelihood of being distant relatives and overall similarities throughout black culture unrelated to geography.

However, black folks from "up north", still, in fact, stick out to black folks "down south" due to overall differences in culture, speech, accents, attitude, intensity of religion, liberalism, politics, and acclimation to weather between the NE/Midwest and the South.

Most people from the South (black, white, or other) still consider the Midwest (great lakes and otherwise) "up north," as they would the NE/East Coast.
Hmm, I see where you're coming from, but that mostly applies to individuals over the age of 35. Things like speech, accents, attitude, and acclimation to weather are a wash, and aren't really important to such individuals within the proper environment. Now the mindstate behind Politics within the Black community in the south are all pretty much the same. It's VERY difficult to find Right Wing individuals; not to mention I'm sure you'd find larger Black Gay communities within the South as well.

When I said Black people from the Midwest would fit in better than the Northeast, I was talking about millennials and the larger Black cultural environments/experiences you'd find in the South. Dallas, Atlanta, Houston, Miami, Charlotte, New Orleans, Richmond, Birmingham, Raleigh, and etc. The cultural institutions, jobs, education, prosperous communities, nightlife, activities, cost of living, etc. that you'd find if the South moreso than the Northeast and it accepts those from various backgrounds.

It just seems as a more easier and comfortable environment to fit or transition into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2017, 04:58 PM
 
2,016 posts, read 1,025,702 times
Reputation: 2682
I don't know if I've said this already in this thread, but it is just silly. People need to know this....why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2017, 05:15 PM
 
Location: Nescopeck, Penna. (birthplace)
12,351 posts, read 7,521,491 times
Reputation: 15955
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Yes, I agree with this. I think places like

Ohio
Michigan
Wisconsin
Minnesota

Are probably more like the Northeast whereas places like:

Indiana
Missouri
Some of Illinois
Kansas

Probably have more Southern carryover.

Middle America states like Iowa or Nebraska seem to be so uniquely Midwestern that I think their residents might think either place is too different from their home.

I think that these places

Pennsylvania
New York
Connecticut
Rhode Island
Vermont
New Hampshire
And even Maine

Won't seem very different to what most people in the Midwest are used to.

Heck, put your average Ohioan anywhere in the Northeast and I think they wouldn't feel very out of place at all. Now someone from Kansas...different story

I tend to agree with most of this: people from the Great Lakes are going to feel more at home in the Northeast - at least, Pennsylvania and Upstate New York; But New York City, New Jersey, Long Island and New England are in an environment of their own. People from the Great Plains (everything west of a Chicago-Milwaukee-Minneapolis corridor) would likely prefer the Southern States -- although Delaware, Maryland, Northern Virginia and much of West Virginia would be more Lake-states or Appalachian-Midwestern -- similar to Western Pennsylvania and much of Ohio and Michigan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2017, 05:39 PM
 
4,802 posts, read 3,854,830 times
Reputation: 2585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
I don't know if I've said this already in this thread, but it is just silly. People need to know this....why?
Usually when I am not interested in threads I don't bother to ask why they exist. I figure 8 pages in this is mildly interesting to c-d posters and I haven't made the majority of replies, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2017, 05:41 PM
 
4,802 posts, read 3,854,830 times
Reputation: 2585
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_Watts View Post
The problem is that they are and most would self identify as such.

With that said, I say NE because, as a previous poster indicated, much of the Midwest was developed by people from the NE. I imagine the similarities in climate and historical manufacturing/industrial output play a role, as well.

Both NE and Midwest are also still generally faster paced than a majority of the South outside (and sometimes including) the big four southern metros.

BTW, if Chicago isn't the Midwest, then Dallas, Houston, & Miami aren't the South...
As a Chicagoan I identify with the Midwest but don't consider myself typical of Chicago though I do fit in the Midwest. The Lower Midwest to me feels more home than the Great Lakes for many reasons. But these people certainly are typical Midwesterners and therefore so am I.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2017, 09:39 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach/Norfolk, VA
116 posts, read 278,896 times
Reputation: 76
I think it is a misconception that someone from a large mid-west city could not adjust to the south. There are a lot of transplants from major mid-western cities currently living in the south. You may hear them talk about some of the things they miss from their original city but they seem to adjust quite well from what I seen (much more than transplants from California and NYC).

From my experience people transplants from OH,MI, and IL seem to be the most down to earth and friendly. Unfortunately I haven't met many people from Minnesota but the ones that I have talked to seemed friendly also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2017, 09:44 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 26 days ago)
 
Location: A Yankee in northeast TN
10,511 posts, read 14,346,913 times
Reputation: 23384
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_Watts View Post
The problem is that they are and most would self identify as such.

With that said, I say NE because, as a previous poster indicated, much of the Midwest was developed by people from the NE. I imagine the similarities in climate and historical manufacturing/industrial output play a role, as well.

Both NE and Midwest are also still generally faster paced than a majority of the South outside (and sometimes including) the big four southern metros.

BTW, if Chicago isn't the Midwest, then Dallas, Houston, & Miami aren't the South...
Urmmm, I don't think they are saying that Chicago isn't midwest, that would be silly. I believe they are saying that the lifestyle/expectations of someone from the 3rd largest city in the country is probably not typical of most midwesterners. I would imagine Chicago people have a much more urban outlook than the majority of the rest of the midwest, so not exactly 'average'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2017, 04:15 PM
 
4,802 posts, read 3,854,830 times
Reputation: 2585
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfiveseven View Post
I think it is a misconception that someone from a large mid-west city could not adjust to the south. There are a lot of transplants from major mid-western cities currently living in the south. You may hear them talk about some of the things they miss from their original city but they seem to adjust quite well from what I seen (much more than transplants from California and NYC).

From my experience people transplants from OH,MI, and IL seem to be the most down to earth and friendly. Unfortunately I haven't met many people from Minnesota but the ones that I have talked to seemed friendly also.
I am not sure you know what I am asking.

In the South, a Midwestern person would immediately come off as being "not from around here" by just acting normally. In the Northeast such a person would probably not be noticed or assumed to be a local.

I doubt that people can actually contend this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top