U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The average Midwesterner fits better in
The Northeast 56 40.58%
The South 82 59.42%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 04:36 PM

4,665 posts, read 2,638,373 times

Advertisements

As a Midwesterner I think I would fit in better in the NE. The NE, Midwest, and west have more similarities then differences. That's true with all of the US, but the South has a slightly distinct culture. I don't believe there is as big of difference as some people claim, but southerners have slightly different personalities then people from other parts of the US.

If you take a typical rural Midwestern person and throw them in a rural area of the NE, they will fit it very well. Rural southern people are a little bit different. They are more open with religion and politics. Midwesterns are more closed off, like NE people. The typical Midwesterner is more religious and conservative then the typical NE person, but it's not going to matter too much, because it's not likely to come up in conversation. The types of churches found in the Midwest are the same as the NE. Not a lot of baptists in the Midwest like the south. Of course these are generalizations about "typical" people. All of these regions are large and have variations.

I do see more and more little cultural things coming in from the south like sweet tea (yuck!), and we have a lot of fried chicken places now. We had a soul food restaurant open last year, but it closed. I'm in Eastern Kansas btw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2017, 09:00 PM

17,238 posts, read 19,536,382 times
People in this thread keep saying the northeast, but the poll result says the south.

Anyone care to explain the discrepancy?

Old 05-27-2017, 10:31 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 18 days ago)

10,469 posts, read 14,312,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
People in this thread keep saying the northeast, but the poll result says the south.

A hellulotta halfbacks from the upper midwest?

Old 05-28-2017, 12:17 PM

3,026 posts, read 2,462,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

My guess is a lot of people just think "Red States" and think that the South and Midwest are almost one in the same.

I really don't think there's much of a difference either way though; only when dealing with the extremes.

Old 05-28-2017, 01:42 PM

4,802 posts, read 3,843,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
My guess is a lot of people just think "Red States" and think that the South and Midwest are almost one in the same.

I really don't think there's much of a difference either way though; only when dealing with the extremes.
I suppose but places like Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, and Minnesota can hardly be called Red States. Ohio is the reddest and is about as Red as Pennsylvania. Minnesota has politics that could fit in New England and so does Wisconsin. Not to the same level but they would fit better in the Northeast than the South for sure. I would never mistake a Wisconsinite or Minnesotan for a Southerner. I might do so for some Missourians.

It's not an easy answer.

Old 05-28-2017, 03:47 PM

2,905 posts, read 2,012,630 times
I haven't read all of the responses, but in very general terms, my vote would be that an urban Midwesterner would fit in better in the Northeast and a rural Midwesterner would fit in better in the South.

Old 05-28-2017, 07:55 PM

13,577 posts, read 22,026,324 times
A lot of Midwesterners moved to Metro Atlanta in the 1970s and 1980s. They transitioned very well.

Old 05-28-2017, 07:57 PM

124 posts, read 97,393 times
Don't know how the south got ANY votes in this poll, it's just pure delusion.

Especially when the East side of the Midwest is basically an extension of the East coast anyway. Southern culture and cities are totally different. Without a doubt, most Midwesterners would feel much more at home in the Northeast.

Old 05-29-2017, 07:15 PM

4,802 posts, read 3,843,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newengland17 View Post
Don't know how the south got ANY votes in this poll, it's just pure delusion.

Especially when the East side of the Midwest is basically an extension of the East coast anyway. Southern culture and cities are totally different. Without a doubt, most Midwesterners would feel much more at home in the Northeast.
Essentially people believe the Northeast is all urban and that rural areas are unheard of there. Northeast = fast paced and cosmopolitan only apparently.

Bet lots of those voters probably live around the Potomac river. Just a hunch.

Old 05-29-2017, 08:44 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,306,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
I suppose but places like Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, and Minnesota can hardly be called Red States. Ohio is the reddest and is about as Red as Pennsylvania. Minnesota has politics that could fit in New England and so does Wisconsin. Not to the same level but they would fit better in the Northeast than the South for sure. I would never mistake a Wisconsinite or Minnesotan for a Southerner. I might do so for some Missourians.

It's not an easy answer.
Wisconsin, Michigan, and Ohio all voted for Trump though. Plus there's also Iowa, the Dakotas, Indiana, Missouri, Kansas, and Nebraska. Illinois and Minnesota were in the minority. I think that does imply that the average Midwesterner would fit in better in The South.

But someone from Chicagoland for example would probably much more easily fit in the Northeast. Of course it varies by cities & regions but you put a lot of emphasis on the world "average" so that was my reasoning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or