Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 10:56 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,476,200 times

Advertisements

If you go to WA, I'd suggest staying on the east side of the state. I lived on the west side from top to bottom for nearly 20 years in total, and the problem is that it's wet - which means bad snow for skiing most of the time. You want a drier climate for good snow. Eastern WA could work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2017, 11:39 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,919,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
If you go to WA, I'd suggest staying on the east side of the state. I lived on the west side from top to bottom for nearly 20 years in total, and the problem is that it's wet - which means bad snow for skiing most of the time. You want a drier climate for good snow. Eastern WA could work.
WA won't work for the OP, he said elevation is crucial and there are no towns above 6,500 ft because at that elevation you are above the tree line, Paradise Mt Rainier famous for its Inn and being on the edge of the tree line and ridiculous amounts of snow is only at 5,400 ft. And the highest point you can reach by car is Sunrise Mt. Rainier at 6,400 ft still shy of the bench mark.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:21 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,372,889 times
Colorado - it's full of them.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:56 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,689,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
WA won't work for the OP, he said elevation is crucial and there are no towns above 6,500 ft because at that elevation you are above the tree line, Paradise Mt Rainier famous for its Inn and being on the edge of the tree line and ridiculous amounts of snow is only at 5,400 ft. And the highest point you can reach by car is Sunrise Mt. Rainier at 6,400 ft still shy of the bench mark.
Arbitrary minimum elevation doesn't account for about 9 degrees higher latitude in WA. The fact that no trees there exist above 6500 ft (about) means it is cold, and with proximity to moist air off the sea and very cold air coming down from Frasier Valley, LOTS of snow.

The benchmark of 10000 ft altitude is irrelevant without considering latitude, exposure, and probably many other factors.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:19 AM

707 posts, read 749,136 times
Though you described northern New Mexico to the T (I mean literally), It sounds like Alaska is what you have in mind...

Old 05-22-2017, 11:17 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,919,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Arbitrary minimum elevation doesn't account for about 9 degrees higher latitude in WA. The fact that no trees there exist above 6500 ft (about) means it is cold, and with proximity to moist air off the sea and very cold air coming down from Frasier Valley, LOTS of snow.

The benchmark of 10000 ft altitude is irrelevant without considering latitude, exposure, and probably many other factors.
I was stating that the Op wants to live at higher elevation because he wants to live in a thinner atmosphere, that won't happen in WA because the elevations are much lower than in Colorado where you have places like Denver at 5,130–5,690 ft which is the same elevation as Paradise Mt. Rainier. I know why WA is colder than CO and that's because Denver is on a large plain which gets warmed by the sun and then radiates that heat into the air, where as in Paradise it's on a very steep mountain and so the ground is unable to heat the air. But the air pressure would be the same at both places correct? or is the Air pressure in Denver pretty much the same as at sea level?

Old 05-22-2017, 01:00 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,883,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Colorado - it's full of them.
Hermits or mountains?

Old 05-22-2017, 03:20 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,260,538 times
Idaho.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:38 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,689,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
I was stating that the Op wants to live at higher elevation because he wants to live in a thinner atmosphere, that won't happen in WA because the elevations are much lower than in Colorado where you have places like Denver at 5,130–5,690 ft which is the same elevation as Paradise Mt. Rainier. I know why WA is colder than CO and that's because Denver is on a large plain which gets warmed by the sun and then radiates that heat into the air, where as in Paradise it's on a very steep mountain and so the ground is unable to heat the air. But the air pressure would be the same at both places correct? or is the Air pressure in Denver pretty much the same as at sea level?
Did he say he wants lower air pressure, really? I must have missed that.m

Health and fitness reasons...training at high altitude, maybe. But even though the cardio benefits are there, there is some question over whether muscles benefit (strength). Might be a tossup.

I never said WA is colder than CO. That isn't necessarily so; depends which two places are being compared.

I got the impression his objective is lots of snow for skiing, for a long season.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:10 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,861,256 times
Wyoming...Jackson Hole
Idaho...Sun Valley
Montana: Big Sky

What do they have in common? Great snow, and low crowds. (And pricey!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.