Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 09:08 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,002,363 times

Advertisements

What do you think is the best city/metro in the South for near by boating, hunting, and fishing? Somewhere I could access any of these things with the most ease.

I'm thinking the Jackson, Mississippi area may be the best, it's in the middle of Mississippi and there are a few lakes in the neighborhood.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 09:21 AM

44 posts, read 50,854 times
If you consider Chattanooga the "south" I may give my vote to that. Or maybe Greenville, SC.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:28 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxJCtheRipperxX View Post
If you consider Chattanooga the "south" I may give my vote to that. Or maybe Greenville, SC.
Why wouldn't Chattanooga be considered the South?

Old 05-22-2017, 09:30 AM

27,188 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Atlanta.

Lake Lanier, the Chattahoochee River and Allatoona Lake to name a few for boating and fishing, along with all kinds of hunting ranging from deer to wild birds (turkey, quail, pheasant).

Old 05-22-2017, 10:01 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
One of the southern LA cities. Gulf access, swamp access, brackish access, dense forests, marshes, rolling hills up around St. Francisville and Natchez, MS, huge system of bayous, etc. We have black bear too, which I think is uncommon in the south.

But I bet most areas are pretty good.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:18 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,900,194 times
I would take a strong look at Florida.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:49 AM

27,188 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
I would take a strong look at Florida.
The OP is looking for a city/metro area.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:59 AM

44 posts, read 50,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Why wouldn't Chattanooga be considered the South?
Eh, because some tie TN, WV, KY, etc to the Appalachian region vs your traditional south. Depending on what the OP wants/views as "the south" I didn't know if it was too far in the north/mountains for his liking.

Old 05-22-2017, 11:11 AM

811 posts, read 887,893 times
Quote:
LOL. If Chattanooga isn't the South, I don't know what is!

In my opinion, if your okay with Lake fishing and boating, the best city/metro in the south for all the items listed of hunting, boating and fishing would be Louisville, KY or Nashville, TN. With Louisville, you are surrounded by many, many lakes across Kentucky and Northern Tennessee: Taylorsville Lake, Land Between the Lakes (Lake Barkley & Kentucky Lake, Lake Cumberland, Cave Run Lake, Laurel River Lake, Green River Lake, Norris Lake Reservoir, TN. Not to mention the Ohio River for both fishing and boating. Nashville is not far from Land Between the Lakes and Norris Lake.

For hunting, Kentucky has over 80 wildlife management areas. If you like hunting deer and turkey, no better place than Kentucky. Tennessee is also a great place to hunt. Kentucky and Tennessee are a sportsman's paradise.

But don't take it from me, Kentucky tops the lists below.
Top 10 Places to Deer Hunt in the United States
The 35 Best Hunting and Fishing Towns in the US | Outdoor Life
Best Fishing Spots: South | Field & Stream

Old 05-22-2017, 12:02 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Eh, because some tie TN, WV, KY, etc to the Appalachian region vs your traditional south. Depending on what the OP wants/views as "the south" I didn't know if it was too far in the north/mountains for his liking.
The Appalachian South is just as much a part of the South as the coastal plain South. I can't take anyone seriously that wants to boot a city like Chattanooga out of the region.

This whole thing about what's the South and what's not has officially gotten ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.