Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 09:16 AM

66 posts, read 52,599 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

So I do a lot of traveling and sometimes get nervous on Interstates. There were some freeways I hated, ( I-4, I-95) and loved ( I-71, I-80). Anyway, what Interstates do you love and hate. Interstates ONLY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 10:50 AM

992 posts, read 875,568 times
I like the short little Arizona Interstates--the 19 and the 17. I also like the 5 through mountains or along the coast. The 70 through Colorado is phenomenal. In Hawaii, H-3 is also really great.

Old 03-18-2017, 12:08 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,707,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
I like the short little Arizona Interstates--the 19 and the 17. I also like the 5 through mountains or along the coast. The 70 through Colorado is phenomenal. In Hawaii, H-3 is also really great.
They aren't called "the 17" outside of California. It's just 17 or I-17.

I hate boring interstates. Unfortunately the vast middle of this country is filled with boring.

I-75 and I-40 in TN/NC is beautiful. Same with I-17 and 40 near flagstaff. I-70 west of Denver and I-80 west of Reno.

Old 03-18-2017, 12:08 PM

27,197 posts, read 43,896,295 times
I hate I-4 and I-95 also! I love I-85 through Virginia between Richmond and the NC state line. It seems like you're driving through a forest in some areas with the northbound and southbound lanes split by densely wooded sections. Also I-81 south from Front Royal VA south through the Shenandoah Valley offers some beautiful vistas.

Old 03-18-2017, 12:19 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
The only Interstates I hate are two-digit Interstates that are less than 100 miles long.

Old 03-18-2017, 03:02 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
They aren't called "the 17" outside of California. It's just 17 or I-17.

I hate boring interstates. Unfortunately the vast middle of this country is filled with boring.

I-75 and I-40 in TN/NC is beautiful. Same with I-17 and 40 near flagstaff. I-70 west of Denver and I-80 west of Reno.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but we do in fact use "the" when referring to our freeways, i.e. the 10, the 17, the 51, the 60, the 101, the 143, the 202, the 303. But not for Northern Parkway, because it doesn't have a route number

Old 03-18-2017, 03:53 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
I hate I-35 in North Texas but I like it up from Oklahoma to Minnesota. Actually I don't like it in Kansas cuz its a toll road so we take another route. (US 77 whenever we go to the El Dorado area) However I wish I-35 was more scenic in terms of cities. You barely see the Oklahoma City sykline, you don't really see much of Wichita's skyline and you don't even see Des Moines. It does a pretty good job of going through Kansas City and the Twin Cities, though. I love the stretch leading up to Minneapolis. I also love the views of Dallas you get on it, but most of it in north Texas is construction hell and warehouses. Also a good chunk of it in the southern Oklahoma City metro area is car dealership after the other.

I HATE I-95 in South Florida. Insufferably bad drivers. I-10 in Southern Louisiana is horrible too, only saving grace is seeing the bayou. But the construction, traffic and drivers are horrible. I enjoy I-10 in southern Mississippi (though it gets crazy with all the lanes and speeding drivers. I drove across the Mississippi coast on I-10 in 2015 and it was insane AND pouring rain) but its a nice little drive, would be nice if it showed the coast.

I love I-10 in southern Alabama and the Florida panhandle. Shows a nice view of Mobile and the bay. There's something relaxing about being surrounded by all those pine trees. I generally like I-75 from about Chattanooga, TN down to Miami. Even with how bad Florida drivers are, its better on the west side than the east side. I haven't been further north of the 75 besides Tennessee.

I-5 between Portland and Salem, Oregon is very scenic. Its not hard for a highway to be scenic on the Pacific Northwest, though.

I generally love I-20. Its one of the better southern highways. I've taken it between Abilene, Texas and Meridian, Mississippi. Aside from northern Louisiana road conditions and the eyesores that are Shreveport and Monroe, its a nice drive. I love it in West Texas as it showcases some of that western beauty Texas is known for. I love seeing the transition when you go west of Weatherford, it gets shrubbier, more mesquite trees, a little more rugged. And I love the piney woods part when you start reaching Longview, Texas. Its also got a nice crossing on the Mississippi River to Vicksburg.

I'm visiting my family in Florida in May and we usually take I-20 until Mississippi then head down Alabama and take I-10 into Florida but this time we're taking a slightly longer route for a change of scenery. Going through Montgomery for the first time and going through Georgia. I haven't seen I-75 in Georgia in years.

Old 03-18-2017, 04:22 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,810,480 times
I've driven between upstate NY and various spots in the Midwest more times than I would care to remember. I-90 between Chicago and Cleveland is the worst. I-90 is also extremely boring when driving from the Twin Cities to the South Dakota Badlands but at least you can drive 80 mph in South Dakota and the scenery is interesting once you are west of the Missouri.

I-76/I-80 from Denver to Omaha is also a very boring drive but at least there isn't much traffic and you can drive fast.

Every interstate I've ever driven in rural Pennsylvania has been nothing but a collection of potholes strung together and called a highway.

Old 03-18-2017, 07:42 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Every interstate I've ever driven in rural Pennsylvania has been nothing but a collection of potholes strung together and called a highway.
Which ones in particular? I'm just asking because the Federal Highway Administration rated Pennsylvania's Interstates as the 15th-smoothest in the United States in 2013, and smoother than every bordering state except West Virginia.

Old 03-18-2017, 10:28 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,857,560 times
Interesting topic. I've driven (or is it drove ) from Chicago to St. Louis via I55. BORING! I57, from Chicago, to Memphis, is a little better. That said, I hate both of them.

I can't think of an interstate that I love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.