U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 08:57 AM

1,361 posts, read 3,231,813 times

Advertisements

If one would consider Denver the southwest (and some do), there is a large gay population. Denver also has one of the largest gay pride festivals in the country - because of its isolation, people from surrounding states visit for this event. Unfortunately, I wouldn't consider Denver to have much in the way of variety when it comes to gay-oriented bars, clubs and restaurants. It seems the numbers of these kinds of establishments have dwindled over the past 10 years. Someone correct me if I am wrong - it's been a while since I've really been part of the scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 10:30 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,451,914 times
The US city with the largest gay population is New York, with an estimated 360,000–500,000 gay residents [2]. Los Angeles is second with 154,270, followed by Chicago with 114,449, and San Francisco, with 94,234.

The US metro area with the largest gay population is New York–Northern New Jersey–Long Island, with an estimated 568,903 gay residents. Los Angeles–Long Beach–Santa Ana is a close second with 442,211, followed by Chicago-Naperville-Joliet, IL-IN-WI with 288,748. [3]

The following charts show a list of the top US cities, states, and metro areas with: 1) the highest population of gay residents, and 2) the highest percentage of gay residents within city limits. (GLB population as a percentage of total residents). [4]

1 New York City 6% 360,000–500,000 [2] 1
2 Los Angeles 5.6% 154,270 2
3 Chicago 5.7% 114,449 3
4 San Francisco 15.4% 94,234 4
5 Phoenix 6.4% 63,222 5
6 Houston 4.4% 61,976 6
7 San Diego 6.8% 61,945 7
8 Dallas 7.0% 58,473 8
9 Seattle 12.9% 57,993 9
10 Boston 12.3% 50,540 10
11 Philadelphia 4.2% 43,320 11
12 Atlanta 12.8% 39,085 12
13 San Jose 5.8%

Gay village - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-10-2008, 01:06 PM

7 posts, read 19,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEsananto View Post
What are you looking for in terms of gay, men or women, age, ethnic background, ect, and what career or field are you in?
Here is some more detail on me: I am a gay white male, my partner is puerto rican. We are both in our mid 20's, I work in child care, he is a pastry chef. In terms of gay population, I'm not looking for a huge gay scene. We don't really go out being we're not single, we do however want some gay friends around, men or women. The biggest thing for us is being able to live comfortably without fear of being harrassed or told we're going to hell by locals. The areas on the top of our list for consideration are, Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Nevada, and certain parts of Texas. We are trying to avoid California because of the expense of living there. Utah I know very little about except that mormons are not too fond of the gays.

Thanks for all the responses so far hope this helps maybe narrow things down a bit.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:46 PM

251 posts, read 634,033 times
What parts of Texas are you looking at? I'm in San Antono, with exception of the born-again community in the Stone Oak area, most people don't seem to give a damn that I'm gay when I go out with my friends or partner. I also know that my hometown has the largest population of settled down gay couples with children in the nation. It tends to be family oriented down here, so getting a job in child care shouldn't be hard at all, I'm not sure about the pastry field, but S.A. is a city of fat-asses, that can't be too hard. I know someone will send me a message about that last part... If you do come down here, let me just tell you, most people in San Antonio want Hagee out of here. He's a blemish on our city.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:14 AM

17 posts, read 76,027 times
Default El Paso Gay Scene plus

El Paso is gay friendly, but not gay encouraging. There are only 5 bars in El Paso, and I find them rather dull. El Paso is culturally Mexican, blue collar, and low income with the accompanying carefree, gay bar centered social scene that tends to make non-Hispanics outsiders. There is absolutely no sophistication in the gay scene as a result of this. I go to London yearly and it is painful to return here. There is nothing that would reflect the gay scene in say Louisville, Nashville, Austin, or other cities with the same population. Unless you love the scenic desert and Mexican cultural landscape, El Paso is a place to get out of, not go to. Juarez has better gay bars, but then you have language to contend with and an hour or more crossing time to get back to the U.S. even at 3:00 a.m. The female scene is obsolete butch and femme, very mullet on the one side, and overly trampy on the other.

In fact, It's an increasingly welcome sight to see blue eyed blondes, or anything close to that. As politically incorrect as it sounds, I am sick of seeing the unicultural Mexican landscape that becomes a surface sea of brown as time goes by; I just don't care for going to younger sisters' quinces, menudo eating at 4 a.m., and the ever present, superficial, overly exuberant party mentality that goes with everything Mexican. As the old joke goes, there are more adults and beer at a kid's birthday party than Kool Aid and kids. However, El Paso is the perfect place to get a boyfriend if you prefer Latinos and have those Nordic traits they desire. They'll be all over you no matter what your pecking order position was elsewhere.

Stay out of here and Albuquerque (dull and cold). The rest of Texas is more or less southern, not southwestern, with Dallas and Houston being similar in ambiance to Atlanta. Austin is a quirk, but yuppie interesting, and increasingly a bit high faluting and not too physically appealing. Phoenix is California pretty and I'd go there if you really want to Southwest it. Denver, oh please, it's not southwestern and is cold like Chicago and ugly like KC.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:56 PM

3 posts, read 8,148 times
I'd give Tucson a glance. If you're looking for a city with true southwestern character and an overall gay-friendly and progressive ethic, then it's the place to be.

While cultural and social activities tend to be more available in the Phoenix area, many of the communities in Maricopa County (with the exception of the area's cultural centers - parts of Phoenix, Tempe, and Scottsdale) tend toward intolerance, materialism, and conservatism. Tucson, on the other hand, is an extremely affordable place to live, and it's Arizona's Democratic bastion. Tucson possesses an environmental and social ethic that I feel Phoenix lacks. Most neighborhoods throughout the city have exceptional mountain views and feel truly southwestern... and outdoor recreation is never far, and is possible in all seasons (even in the summer, if you're willing to do your hiking before 9am!). The infusion of Mexican culture really adds to its vibrancy and charm.

Old 03-16-2008, 06:38 AM

2,441 posts, read 6,120,370 times
I agree with Shock. Tucson is your place.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:23 AM
zeb

7 posts, read 30,713 times
Default Gay South

We lived along the Gulf Coast most of our life before moving to Phx and Albuquerque. The stretch between New Orleans and Mobile was by far the mmost liberal place we've lived. Phx is very conservative, although making progress. Tucson is the liberal spot in AZ. Sedona tolerates gays but I wouldn't say it really rolls out the welcome mat. Austin, TX, is a very liberal spot. It's a good mix of South/Southwest, espcially now that so many people from New Orleans have moved there. And a secret, fun, liberal town to live in is Mobile, Ala. We had a blast there and gay people are everywhere. Like a mini New Orleans.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:02 PM

8,114 posts, read 17,323,570 times
Bisbee Arizona is a small border town that has been gentrified, from what I understand, it is also a major relocation choice for homosexuals.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:40 PM

3 posts, read 8,840 times
My girlfriend and I moved out to Phoenix from rural Pennsylvania last June and so far we have found the gay scene to be very welcoming as well as vibrant and diverse. We also visited Tucson, which has city-wide legalized domestic partnerships (Phoenix is considering doing the same). Most of Arizona seems to be really gay-friendly. Phoenix pride is this weekend and I'm interested to see the turn-out. Tucson pride is in October and is relatively small, but the gay community is very friendly there as well and it seemed like everyone had a fun time. Flagstaff has Pride in the Pines in June, and it's nice and cool out there compared to the hot weather in Phoenix. Arizona also has much lower housing costs than California, but all the same beautiful scenery. Not to mention, Phoenix is 5 hours from LA and Vegas, 4 hours from the Grand Canyon, 3 hours from Mexico, and 6 hours from Albuquerque, which are all fun places to visit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or