U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2017, 06:47 PM

277 posts, read 99,817 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering if people know offhand or can help me find out about cities helping the disabled. I live in the Chicagoland area, and I am probably going to continue doing so, I'm just curious. I don't work, I have schizophrenia and my medications unfortunately affect me physically, to the point I can't hold down a job. I am on Social Security Disablity.

I used to work, and I miss doing so. But, I have to take my medications or I can experience psychosis. I also have cognative problems so I have not graduated college, despite my best efforts. When in college, I qualified for special accommodations do to my mental state. But, even still I failed in my quest to obtain a degree. Also, I don't have the money to return to school.

I can't stay on my feet for very long, because the meds affect the nerves in my feet. It really sucks. But, again I have to take my meds or I can become psychotic. In a suburb of Chicago named Joliet, they have affordable housing for the mentally ill. But, they have a long waiting list. I'm ok for now. I live with my mother, and I help out around the house when she is at work. I try my best to keep busy.

I have a problem with B.S.ing on websites to kill the time. My life is kind of null of enjoyment. I don't want to sound like I'm complaining, but I can't help it. I don't know what the future holds in store for me. Many people don't respect the rights of the mentally ill. And, also many people flat out don't care about charity for the sick. I am ashamed I can't contribute more to society, but this is my reality.

Does anyone know of any good things that are taking place in American cities to help the mentally sick or the physically disabled. I can't help but think of 1970's China, and 1940's Germany, where the weak were expected to perish. I'm scared for my future. Any words of hope about communities helping the sick would be pleasing for my eyes to read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or