U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 03:42 PM

7,820 posts, read 12,326,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
The Bay Area was a refuge for all types who felt they had to leave more oppressive areas of the country. It was home to all sorts of organic arts and social movements. Now gentrification has nearly wiped that out and it's a tech hub and food/bar playground for the wealthy. I miss it for what it was, not what it is now.
I believe the Bay Area is still a very liberal elite, Democrat area. However I've heard a lot from long-term native Californians about how much things have changed due to transplants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 05:17 PM

679 posts, read 463,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaboy92 View Post
Wow. Alternatively, where in the U.S. do you think those habits of the old San Francisco are becoming a trend?
I'de say out of the big cities ..to places like the Pacific NW, Vermont

Old 05-31-2017, 06:16 PM

7,820 posts, read 12,326,456 times
LOUISIANA

I moved back here after over 20 years away in Maryland and West Virginia. I would say that in the larger cities, particularly New Orleans (suburbs in particular) and Baton Rouge, a lot of the Southern charm has been diluted. Large parts of East Baton Rouge Parish and Livingston Parish feel like anywhere USA. There are more national chain businesses and fewer family-owned establishments compared to back in the day. Much fewer people now have a Southern accent here, and while people here are still friendlier than the Northeast, Upper Midwest, and California, Southern hospitality isn't what it used to be. There are more rude and impolite people, especially in the city, and the driving here very aggressive compared to West Virginia.

My parents tell me that back in the day, when you signal someone is bound to let you pass, that rarely happens here anymore. (its still like that in WV). And you have people driving over 10 over the speed limit which you don't see in West Virginia. In WV you can actually drive 10 below the speed limit and nobody honks (not sure how good THAT is though LOL). While Louisiana is still a conservative state, political correctness is because more and more of an issue here, with New Orleans removing the Confederate monuments. There are now far fewer rebel flags in Baton Rouge than in Charleston, WV where people in the outlying towns still fly it proudly. Some businesses still have it, but again not like in the past and many people have said its not "safe" to fly it in some parts of town.

After I get re-established here I do hope to move to a more rural part of Louisiana where things have changed less.

MARYLAND
This state has been completely destroyed by liberal state government and by transplants from New York and New Jersey and illegal immigrants. Maryland was a nice place when my family first moved there from Louisiana. Now it is a mess and I have no desire to ever live there again. The cost of living, traffic, crime, and illegal immigration have all increased dramatically. When Martin O'Malley was governor he raised the gas tax, income tax, cigarette tax, alcohol tax and implemented a rain tax and wind farm tax. The state also abolished the death penalty, passed gay marriage and gave in-state tuition and drivers licenses to illegal aliens. The state looks wealthy on paper because of the DC area but businesses have fled in droves and unemployment is high elsewhere in the state especially the Baltimore area. The state's insistence of "high density development" also increases density in the suburbs and makes the American Dream of a single family home on a large piece of land less affordable than in other states like Louisiana and West Virginia. Government overregulation and tree huggers have destroyed the steel industry and are making it very difficult for agriculture and fishing. There is natural gas in Western MD but local residents are not allowed to benefit from it and extract it because that offends the liberal sensibilities of Democrat voters in the DC suburbs. Due to the Freddie Gray riots, the police are now afraid to do their jobs and Baltimore has become a war zone with over 300 murders last year. But none of those black lives matter. Only the life of the criminal and drug dealer Freddie Gray matters in the eyes of these people.

Illegal immigration is a seriously problem in Maryland and there are now many communities where English is no longer even spoken. Illegals are attracted to the state because of its liberalism and its sanctuary cities. These illegals have very negative impacts on wherever they go and have taken a lot of working class jobs from American citizens of all races.

WEST VIRGINIA
I absolutely loved living in this state, but my friends who have lived their their entire lives all say that it has gone downhill since the 1970s and 1980s. The state today has a poor economy that's been devastated by the EPA's war on coal which was launched by Obama and whose effects continue to be seen. Its been hit hard by the prescription drug epidemic and by the war on coal. 20 years ago when coal was bigger, there was a lot of wealth in the coalfields and lots of successful businesses. The trickle down effect of the war on coal and the government's attacks on natural gas has been dramatic. Many small towns in the southern part of WV are heavily impoverished today as a result of the government policies. Back in the day in West Virginia, this kind of drug abuse was unheard of. Now there are gangs bringing drugs in from Chicago and Detroit, and the poor economy doesn't help things.

Very importantly, though, to put things in perspective - I don't believe there is a single place in America that has not changed for the worse in the past 20 years. Louisiana and West Virginia are still two of my absolute favorite states. They are still better than the majority of the country.

Old 06-03-2017, 11:06 PM

1,192 posts, read 876,025 times
I'd say pretty much anywhere in the rural Midwest outside of commuting distance to the big cities. The small town my mother grew up in still had several stores and restaurants, as well as a couple of factories back in the 80's. It even had some beautiful old Victorian homes, as well as a libray, a bank, and a post office. The small city 10 miles away had a vibrant downtown. Now my mom's little town has nothing save a gas station. Many of the old homes are torn down and replaced by pre-fabricated housing. Unemployment is high and the place is just depressing. Main St in the nearby small city is dead, replaced by a Wal-Mart and Dollar General on the highway at the edge of town.

I don't mind gentrification and development of cities. It's made many cities safe enough for families to live in again. The sad corollary is the 120 year decline of rural areas as they continue to suffer a brain drain. It's really accerated in the last 30-40 years as anyone with ambition or education leaves for the big city, never to return. The people left behind mostly don't have the skills to compete in the modern world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or