U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state's beaches do you prefer?
Michigan 26 47.27%
Massachusetts 29 52.73%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 10:25 PM

4,787 posts, read 9,292,750 times

Advertisements

Some info on Buzzards Bay beaches

8 beautiful Buzzards Bay beaches to visit this summer | Buzzards Bay Coalition

Onset beach, IMO, is very nice as is the town, which is a cute little place.

The water, I find cold, doesn't make it into the 60's until July & August & early September. It will get into the 70's along the Nantucket Sound beaches on the Cape's south shore in the same months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2017, 10:52 PM

4,845 posts, read 2,975,563 times
Never been to Michigan but I would love to visit their beaches.

Old 05-28-2017, 01:33 PM

9,422 posts, read 18,316,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Hmm. How is the water (and beaches) in Buzzards Bay? That place appeals to me as well, though doesn't seem as developed as the Cape or the islands.
One inconvenience you can encounter on certain parts of the Mass coast (Buzzard Bay particularly) is private property and town sticker only beaches, meaning there's a lack of accessibility to shoreline on quite a bit of it. There's little villages like Onset with a small public beach on the bay, however the good beaches like Old Silver Beach in Falmouth (nice water temps) get VERY crowded, and you have to get there early to get a parking spot, much like other parts of the Cape. The best parts of Buzzards Bay are accessible by boat.

The most scenic beaches (albeit chillier water) are on the Outer Cape with beautiful dune and marshland hiking and sand bluffs over the Atlantic at Cape Cod National Seashore. Particularly around Wellfleet, you have the Atlantic with high bluff sand banks overlooking the ocean, Cape Cod Bay, lots of open marshland, dune trails, and a large harbor. Provincetown has a tone of open dunes, like a dunes wilderness; then there is the town which is very eclectic in a Key West sort of way (end of the road). P-Town is also the best place for whale watching. The Sharks have been spotted off of Chatham and Orleans where there is a high seal population.

Hyannis is meh...... A lot of of locals will tell you to steer clear of there because its crowded and commercial. It's the chain retail hub of the Cape so a lot of people end up there. The beaches on the Sound are the warmest but IMHO you're better off heading out the Islands.

If its warmer water beaches that you want on the Massachusetts coast, whether its the waves of the Atlantic or the calmer and even warmer waters of the Sound, Marthas Vineyard and Nantucket are your best bet. The islands also have much better beach accessibility than many parts of the Cape and its a bit more scenic and laid back there (particularly the Vineyard).

If you want a get away from it all experience in terms of being low key and quiet but scenic, take the little ferry over to Cuttyhunk Island which you can catch in New Bedford.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 05-28-2017 at 02:09 PM..

Old 05-28-2017, 04:25 PM

5,659 posts, read 2,710,783 times
Been to Michigan beaches mid August. Water temp isnt bad.
Empire Beach
Elk Rapids Beach
Where the Platte River empties into Lake Michigan the beach there is gorgeous.
There are alot of nice small towns along the lake.
Make reservations way ahead of time things fill up.

I have never been to Massachesettes.
I might have to

Old 05-28-2017, 05:38 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 16 days ago)

10,456 posts, read 14,303,163 times
What do you want, sandstone beach, pebble beach, white sandy beach?
https://cadeandmolly.files.wordpress...1/p6120157.jpg
http://www.lynnegolodner.com/wp-cont...quette-mi1.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...1c3133d7f4.jpg

Old 05-28-2017, 07:26 PM

5,659 posts, read 2,710,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Beautiful!

Old 05-28-2017, 07:41 PM

56,004 posts, read 54,508,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Never been to Michigan but I would love to visit their beaches.
Same here. I live near the Atlantic ocean, but I have never seen the Great Lakes except in pictures. I would like to visit those beaches and see the Great Lakes. I have seen photos of the GL in storms. It was amazing--huge waves, just like on the ocean. Not what you think of when you hear "lake".

Old 05-28-2017, 07:49 PM

6,015 posts, read 6,362,170 times
A piece of my heart definitely lies in Michigan. The west coast beaches in particular, absolutely stunning. It seems to just get better and better the further north you go. MA has some nice beaches but MA is a much smaller state than Michigan. Seriously... Saint Joseph, South Haven, Sleeping Bear, Traverse City, Charlevoix/Beaver Island, Manistee, Mackinac Island, Pictured Rocks... there is just so much beauty there. Plus, on the west coast you get phenomenal, electric beach sunsets which you obviously can't get in MA.

Old 05-28-2017, 08:13 PM

1,593 posts, read 831,682 times
I ve never been the Michigan beaches so I can't vote, but the South/outter Cape is great we still get some of the warm Gulf Stream water. The north inner cape and cape Anne get the Labrador current from Canada.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:43 AM

2,808 posts, read 1,297,032 times
I voted for Michigan. I think the Massachusetts beaches are crowded and overrated. The limited access is also annoying and the over all elitist vibe of the cape doesn't sit well with me. Very lovely towns though!

Michigan has way, way, more water front, and the great lakes beaches and shore lines are incredibly underrated in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.