U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state's beaches do you prefer?
Michigan 26 47.27%
Massachusetts 29 52.73%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 11:52 AM

1,163 posts, read 2,024,148 times

Advertisements

Never having been to Michigan I can't make the comparison.
Just be aware that though the southern areas of Cape Cod offer warmer water, they are often heavily developed or crowded. The best beaches on Cape Cod are on the upper part and are not very crowded and are truly spectacular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2017, 12:24 PM

9,394 posts, read 9,554,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I voted for Michigan. I think the Massachusetts beaches are crowded and overrated. The limited access is also annoying and the over all elitist vibe of the cape doesn't sit well with me. Very lovely towns though!

Michigan has way, way, more water front, and the great lakes beaches and shore lines are incredibly underrated in general.
If you think the shore is elitist go to Salisbury, Revere or Nantasket beach.

Old 05-29-2017, 12:27 PM

9,394 posts, read 9,554,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
Never having been to Michigan I can't make the comparison.
Just be aware that though the southern areas of Cape Cod offer warmer water, they are often heavily developed or crowded. The best beaches on Cape Cod are on the upper part and are not very crowded and are truly spectacular.
Provincetown or Touro are spectacular which is why the Oceanside of the lower Cape is a national seashore.
As nice as the Great Lakes are, the ocean is just different and IMO superior.

Old 05-29-2017, 02:33 PM

56,180 posts, read 54,646,759 times
Question: do people swim in the Great Lakes, or is it too cold and/or polluted to swim?

Old 05-29-2017, 03:14 PM

4,861 posts, read 2,995,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Question: do people swim in the Great Lakes, or is it too cold and/or polluted to swim?
Good question. I'd imagine you can swim in them.

Old 05-29-2017, 04:46 PM

56,180 posts, read 54,646,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Good question. I'd imagine you can swim in them.
I wondered, because I live in NJ, and swimming in the ocean in summer is one of my greatest pleasures. I hope I never get too old to do so.

Swam in lakes in PA and upstate NY growing up, too.

Old 05-29-2017, 09:09 PM

2,797 posts, read 1,649,695 times
I think the beaches might be what saves Michigan as a state. Particularly the ones on Lake Michigan.

Edit: Well that Ann Arbor and the UP........

Old 05-29-2017, 09:39 PM

2,025 posts, read 2,356,159 times
Swam in the lake today, briefly, think temps were in mid-60-s? I get in Lake year-round/ice depending, oddball that way.

http://archive.tri247.com/ext/pic/ep...oSwimStart.jpg

https://i0.wp.com/www.chicagobluedol...n-swimmers.jpg

Old 05-30-2017, 05:29 AM

6,522 posts, read 7,474,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Great Lakes are quite clean for the most part, the water is so clear you can see dozens of feet to the bottom near he shore where it is shallow. Too cold for swimming? Yes it is. As far as the OPs question goes I think the answer is determined by what the OP is looking for. If one is looking for warmer water for swimming then it is Massachusetts. If the OP wants scenic unspoiled beaches then it's Michigan by far. The quality of michigans beaches is equal to the best in the country for scenery, maybe even the best. Sleeping bear sand dunes on Lake Michigan are especially beautiful. If the op chooses Michigan they should go knowing they will need antifreeze for blood if they think they will do much swimming. Some young people swim in those lakes, but I don't know how. Lake Michigan has the most beautiful beaches of all the lakes. Lake Superior has the most rugged beauty, cliffs and rocks. Lake Huron is a bit of both, but I hear the Ontario side of that lake is nicest.

Old 05-30-2017, 05:32 AM

3,965 posts, read 3,499,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
I think the beaches might be what saves Michigan as a state. Particularly the ones on Lake Michigan.

Edit: Well that Ann Arbor and the UP........

You need to learn more about Michigan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.