U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state's beaches do you prefer?
Michigan 26 47.27%
Massachusetts 29 52.73%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 12:33 PM

3,961 posts, read 3,490,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I believe I do know where that is, at least I have a good guess. It looks to me like the platt river near a place called empire Michigan. It is on Lake Michigan directly west of the traverse city area. It is also quite close to sleeping bear dunes. You can rent river tubes and float all the way to Lake Michigan, that beach is a beautiful place but be warned it gets very crowded during summer. Sleeping bear dunes and that whole area is fast becoming a very well known tourist hotspot. Go during the week or early in the morning and it may be less crowded. The sleeping bear sand dunes national park has lots of quiet unspoiled beaches where you can get far from people if you are willing to walk.
That is a good guess. I actually think it's closer to Oval beach in Saugatuck. The reason I don't think it's at Sleeping Bear is because you can't see the islands in the distance, which from that view in that direction you should see it. Also the beach looks like the sandy beaches in Saugatuck, where the Sleeping Bear beaches tend to be a bit more rocky.

http://metrosource.com/2013/03/06/saugatuck-secrets/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 01:38 PM

6,519 posts, read 7,461,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
That is a good guess. I actually think it's closer to Oval beach in Saugatuck. The reason I don't think it's at Sleeping Bear is because you can't see the islands in the distance, which from that view in that direction you should see it. Also the beach looks like the sandy beaches in Saugatuck, where the Sleeping Bear beaches tend to be a bit more rocky.

Metrosource Saugatuck Secrets
You have a point about those islands, they should be visible. Maybe the view does not go far enough into he Lake to see them. I also remember a beach north of Muskegon similar to the one in the pic. Really Lake Michigan has hundreds of streams that flow into it like hay, but how many are on public beaches. Definately an area with aloy of dunes. Hopefully someone knows for sure where it is, I'd like to know if I'm right or not. I may not live up there anymore but I have been to a lot of those Lake Michigan beaches.....from Holland to escanaba and everything in between. Lake Michigan is a national treasure.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:35 PM

6,015 posts, read 6,367,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
As a native Tennessean who lived in the Midwest for several years, MI beaches are very underrated. There are plenty of resort towns with beautiful, man made, sandy beaches that could be mistaken for Florida, sans vegetation.

We went swimming in Holland on Labor Day weekend a few years ago. The water was cool, but fine to swim in. Water temps along the southern MI side of Lake Michigan are already in the 60s. Temps in Holland will be nearly 90 and through the 80s rest of the week. Boston is dipping back down into highs in the 70s after today.

I would wager most of MI along the shore, aside from some maybe far northern towns like Petoskey, will get warmer in the summer than most of coastal MA.
Which beaches in Michigan do you think are man made?

The only beaches along Lake Michigan with sand trucked in as far as I'm aware is in Chicago

Old 06-13-2017, 08:56 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 18 days ago)

10,470 posts, read 14,316,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post

Oh, and addressing DubbleT's remark - yes, Sleeping Bear is in the Lower Pennensuila, but most locals would call that "Northern Michgan", but if you didn't live here I can see how that'd still be "Southern Michigan", so my apologies on not clarifying. What I meant by the beaches in the southern part of the state aren't as great, I mean ones that are Port Huron to Muskegon and south (though Muskegon is actually a cool little beach town, which generally gets underrated, by myself included)
The picture in my post is from Muskegon, many people do not realize the dunes and the soft sand extend along the southwestern beaches of Michigan, far past the Traverse area.
The photographer is unknown but judging from the ladies styles I'd have to guess late 50's to early 60's

Last edited by DubbleT; 06-13-2017 at 09:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.