U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-28-2017, 10:18 PM
 
77 posts, read 51,463 times
Reputation: 77

Advertisements

Orlando, Florida

Houston, Texas

Phoenix, Arizona

Las Vegas, Nevada


Low cost of living, warm weather, diverse and plenty to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-29-2017, 01:27 AM
 
25 posts, read 13,916 times
Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy James View Post
I'm curious where in ND he is. He says it's the middle of nowhere but to some people Fargo qualifies. Depending on where he is there may not be any opportunities. $4,000 is a lot of money when you have no debt. If he has to move out soon then he will homeless one way or the other why not be homeless somewhere else? As far as rent goes if he has no processions except maybe a suitcase or two then he could find a room to rent rather than an apt for around $300 a month depending on where he goes. I'm married with a kid and two paid off cars, no debt and a $600 a month mortgage. $4000 would get us through about four months if I lost my job. I'm sure it would last him even more if he has no car and no debt
Dickinson, if you've heard of it. I did briefly consider instead relocating to Bismarck, or Fargo, but as you say, I might as well start afresh somewhere else I'd rather be. I have no debts or other financial obligations, and no one else to support. I only, literally, have a laptop and a backpack/suitcase full of clothes. Thanks for the vote of confidence; I was just crunching some numbers before and even eating more than ramen, I think I could live comfortably/securely for two months, and I really don't think it will take that long to get an unskilled/minimum-wage job until I find something better. Room rents: actually just started looking into that now. The few I've gone over seem to have very reasonable rates, but odd rules about checking in/out. I'll continue to look into it, but I'm a little hesitant about becoming another 'Craigslist murder victim' statistic.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
Louisville?

Not having a car in the warmer states is going to limit you greatly. Better research the towns the have the most elaborate bus service. You won't find too many trains, and walkable neighborhoods tend to be more costly. Riding a bike is another option.
Kentucky? I briefly worked there. You're absolutely right about the lack of a car; it was annoying having to rely on my boss to shuttle me everywhere when I lived/worked in IL/IN/KY. That's why a decent public transport system is important for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLnative1989 View Post

Houston, Texas



Low cost of living, warm weather, diverse and plenty to do.
I'm torn between El Paso, Houston, and Dallas. I briefly looked into a place called Harlingen, which apparently has the lowest rent in the country, but it seems a little small for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2017, 12:23 PM
 
Location: Arvada, CO
13,238 posts, read 24,446,503 times
Reputation: 13010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnostiko View Post
I'm torn between El Paso, Houston, and Dallas. I briefly looked into a place called Harlingen, which apparently has the lowest rent in the country, but it seems a little small for me.
Harlingen might be a little suffocating if you haven't lived there before, and/or don't speak Spanish, and/or aren't Mexican.

Use this to look up the most current unemployment rates:
https://www.bls.gov/web/metro/laummtrk.htm

Use Wikipedia to look up each city, to give you an idea of the weather and size.

Use craigslist to gauge apartment costs. Use the local forums here to ask about specific areas within areas.

Off the top of my head, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Tucson, Albuquerque, most anywhere in Texas, and anywhere in the lower Midwest or South should do.

And don't fret about crime, Charlotte is a city like anywhere else that will have its safe and unsafe areas.
__________________
Moderator for Los Angeles, The Inland Empire, and the Washington state forums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2017, 01:59 PM
 
6,561 posts, read 13,767,496 times
Reputation: 3030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnostiko View Post
Dickinson, if you've heard of it. I did briefly consider instead relocating to Bismarck, or Fargo, but as you say, I might as well start afresh somewhere else I'd rather be. I have no debts or other financial obligations, and no one else to support. I only, literally, have a laptop and a backpack/suitcase full of clothes. Thanks for the vote of confidence; I was just crunching some numbers before and even eating more than ramen, I think I could live comfortably/securely for two months, and I really don't think it will take that long to get an unskilled/minimum-wage job until I find something better. Room rents: actually just started looking into that now. The few I've gone over seem to have very reasonable rates, but odd rules about checking in/out. I'll continue to look into it, but I'm a little hesitant about becoming another 'Craigslist murder victim' statistic.




Kentucky? I briefly worked there. You're absolutely right about the lack of a car; it was annoying having to rely on my boss to shuttle me everywhere when I lived/worked in IL/IN/KY. That's why a decent public transport system is important for me.



I'm torn between El Paso, Houston, and Dallas. I briefly looked into a place called Harlingen, which apparently has the lowest rent in the country, but it seems a little small for me.
You won't consider Louisville because of transit yet you are focused on sprawling sunbelt car loving cities like Houston? At least Louisville is compact
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2017, 02:53 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma
6,879 posts, read 6,204,892 times
Reputation: 6179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnostiko View Post
Dickinson, if you've heard of it. I did briefly consider instead relocating to Bismarck, or Fargo, but as you say, I might as well start afresh somewhere else I'd rather be. I have no debts or other financial obligations, and no one else to support. I only, literally, have a laptop and a backpack/suitcase full of clothes. Thanks for the vote of confidence; I was just crunching some numbers before and even eating more than ramen, I think I could live comfortably/securely for two months, and I really don't think it will take that long to get an unskilled/minimum-wage job until I find something better. Room rents: actually just started looking into that now. The few I've gone over seem to have very reasonable rates, but odd rules about checking in/out. I'll continue to look into it, but I'm a little hesitant about becoming another 'Craigslist murder victim' statistic.




Kentucky? I briefly worked there. You're absolutely right about the lack of a car; it was annoying having to rely on my boss to shuttle me everywhere when I lived/worked in IL/IN/KY. That's why a decent public transport system is important for me.



I'm torn between El Paso, Houston, and Dallas. I briefly looked into a place called Harlingen, which apparently has the lowest rent in the country, but it seems a little small for me.
The problem with El Paso is that it is 81% Hispanic and while most residents are bilingual it might be tough getting a job if you are competing with someone is bilingual and it requires dealing with the public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2017, 04:54 PM
 
25 posts, read 13,916 times
Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
You won't consider Louisville because of transit yet you are focused on sprawling sunbelt car loving cities like Houston? At least Louisville is compact
Compact. That's what I need. Sticking that on the list!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
The problem with El Paso is that it is 81% Hispanic and while most residents are bilingual it might be tough getting a job if you are competing with someone is bilingual and it requires dealing with the public.
Hadn't considered that. I'll scratch off El Paso then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Harlingen might be a little suffocating if you haven't lived there before, and/or don't speak Spanish, and/or aren't Mexican.

Use this to look up the most current unemployment rates:
https://www.bls.gov/web/metro/laummtrk.htm

Use Wikipedia to look up each city, to give you an idea of the weather and size.

Use craigslist to gauge apartment costs. Use the local forums here to ask about specific areas within areas.

Off the top of my head, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Tucson, Albuquerque, most anywhere in Texas, and anywhere in the lower Midwest or South should do.

And don't fret about crime, Charlotte is a city like anywhere else that will have its safe and unsafe areas.
Thank you, this was very helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2017, 06:24 PM
 
Location: WA
626 posts, read 361,741 times
Reputation: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
First of all, I stopped reading after your hasty generalization of entire States. Most of your question can be answer by simply searching Google.
He said he only knew the states by their stereotypes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2017, 12:30 AM
 
Location: In the heights
22,172 posts, read 23,698,700 times
Reputation: 11633
Maybe New Orleans. The only major qualm is that its crime rate isn't great, but it is not a "crime infested urban hellhole", and you'll generally be fine if you're not involved in any criminal activity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2017, 01:03 AM
 
53 posts, read 45,915 times
Reputation: 40
El Paso and Albuquerque are very dangerous. Neither really has "safe" areas unless you have money and live in gated communities. Drug related crime is among the highest in the country and English is almost a second language to Spanish. Like someone else said, every big city has it's good and bad areas and that's true. Most of the time in most places if you keep your nose clean and avoid certain people you'll be okay. El Paso and Albuquerque are not those type of places. No matter how squeaky clean you are you will not be able to avoid the crime. It is part of daily life.

Also, Phoenix and Las Vegas are not warm weather cities. They are hot dry ass deserts that get little rain and no snow. They do however "cool" off in the winter but cool off is a relative term. The average high is above 100 in summer but hovers around 60 in winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2017, 06:55 AM
 
Location: Arvada, CO
13,238 posts, read 24,446,503 times
Reputation: 13010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy James View Post
El Paso and Albuquerque are very dangerous. Neither really has "safe" areas unless you have money and live in gated communities. Drug related crime is among the highest in the country and English is almost a second language to Spanish. Like someone else said, every big city has it's good and bad areas and that's true. Most of the time in most places if you keep your nose clean and avoid certain people you'll be okay. El Paso and Albuquerque are not those type of places. No matter how squeaky clean you are you will not be able to avoid the crime. It is part of daily life.

Also, Phoenix and Las Vegas are not warm weather cities. They are hot dry ass deserts that get little rain and no snow. They do however "cool" off in the winter but cool off is a relative term. The average high is above 100 in summer but hovers around 60 in winter.
Just going to leave this little nugget here:
https://web.archive.org/web/20140108...z/-/index.html
__________________
Moderator for Los Angeles, The Inland Empire, and the Washington state forums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top