U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would be right for me?
Chicago 19 23.75%
Philadelphia 10 12.50%
Boston 2 2.50%
Seattle 6 7.50%
Portland 2 2.50%
New York City 3 3.75%
Baltimore 1 1.25%
Washington D.C 3 3.75%
Milwaukee 2 2.50%
Houston 2 2.50%
Dallas Fort-Worth 0 0%
Austin 1 1.25%
Tampa 0 0%
Los Angeles 2 2.50%
Miami 3 3.75%
Minneapolis Saint-Paul 1 1.25%
Atlanta 9 11.25%
Phoenix 3 3.75%
Denver 3 3.75%
Bay Area 8 10.00%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-01-2017, 08:46 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,112,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarts View Post
Hi guys, I recently turned 21 years old and I am also trying to relocate to another city this fall.

I am looking for a city with a large metropolitan area (+2.5 million) that has an interesting LGBT scene (nightclubs, bars, lounges, organizations...).
For me it means that it should be easy to meet 21-24 years old and also easy to find a sizable quantity of nightclubs.

I love to party so I'd prefer larger mega-dance-clubs that can host many people rather than "bars". I also like when there's monthly special parties and lounge gatherings.

I highly considered these cities in the first place : Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston, Seattle.

But I am open to other suggestions as well because I am really confused.

I would love a city that is young, nightlife/college oriented but I also consider the price of the rent (cost of living), the commute time, the crime rate, life opportunities (jobs), diversity (I'm white so I don't know if it matters anyway), the overall quality of the LGBT scene and maybe many other points I am missing.

To be honest I am more attracted to northern cities than southern ones (I am not a huge fan of LA and SF). I would be glad to get advices and also read the Pros and the Cons of the city of your choice.

Thank you.
NYC is really the only US city that offers 'mega' dance parties/ clubs. And there are several gay social events (model events, fashion, arts, rich people events, etc.) that you will not find in any other American city. Miami would be the 2nd for all of that, then DC third. Chicago and Philadelphia are wonderful cities, but from what I gather, the gay scene might be a little tame for you. Forget Boston, great city, but you would be bored.

If you can spend a lot on rent go for NYC 100% You have everything from piano lounges and quiet rooftops to circuit parties with thousands of shirtless men lol. You also have more amenities in Manhattan then any other American city, and you will meet so many incredibly different gay people from all over the world.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2017, 08:52 AM

1,179 posts, read 660,976 times
I live in Philadelphia, so obviously I'd suggest it. As a gay guy in my 20s, I've found the scene here to be more diverse in type then some of the other big cities. You have a mainstream gay culture (looks, the gym, partying, appearance matters a lot, etc.) that is centered in and around the Gayborhood. There are two large clubs (Woody's and Voyuer), as well as 8 or 9 other gay bars, two bathhouses (if that's your thing), and of course plenty to choose from on Grindr/Jack'd/etc.

While there is a large and visible mainstream crowd, there are also tons of other LGBT people that have their own scenes or lives completely devoid of the Gayborhood. Older couples, people with kids, fairies, hipsters, on and on and on. Also, with three large universities and several smaller ones, Philadelphia gets a lot of young college guys that refresh the scene every year.

Besides just being a very gay friendly city, Philadelphia has just about all the urban amenities at half the price of the other big BosWash cities. Good public transportation, a pretty decent white collar job market, a second-to-none dining scene, and some world class museums and galleries to boot. Not to mention its very easy and quick to go to New York and DC if you want a change of scenery from time to time.

If you have the money, they by all means go for New York. No place in America beats it for gay life, and everything else. I go to a few circuit parties a year in Manhattan, and it's absolutely awesome. If you want to be more budget conscious, then I think Philadelphia is the next best thing on the East Coast.

Old 06-01-2017, 09:17 AM

1,987 posts, read 1,239,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
Not these unless you have tons of excess money to burn prices of everything are highly inflated. Also, only San Fran is truly diverse on this list. Philly is a good bet, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta. Montreal and Toronto. Tampa perhaps.
Don't bother with that poster. He/she is like a robot spouting out those same list of cities thread after thread, regardless of what the OP is looking for. Plus, Dallas & Houston would offer a more vibrant gay scene than Austin.

Old 06-01-2017, 10:10 AM

760 posts, read 590,159 times
Chicago, DC, Philly, Austin, and Atlanta are good choices. Tons of nightlife, young people, and a great LGBT scene.

As far as the other trendy, 20-something cities (Denver, Portland, and Seattle), these places are very expensive and don't really have the night life you are looking for. Those cities kind of shut down around 10pm, and don't really have any clubs. While they are vibrant and LGBT friendly, these are places you move to in your late 20s, early 30s to settle down a bit.

Old 06-02-2017, 01:28 AM

6,559 posts, read 13,761,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarts View Post
Hi guys, I recently turned 21 years old and I am also trying to relocate to another city this fall.

I am looking for a city with a large metropolitan area (+2.5 million) that has an interesting LGBT scene (nightclubs, bars, lounges, organizations...).
For me it means that it should be easy to meet 21-24 years old and also easy to find a sizable quantity of nightclubs.

I love to party so I'd prefer larger mega-dance-clubs that can host many people rather than "bars". I also like when there's monthly special parties and lounge gatherings.

I highly considered these cities in the first place : Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston, Seattle.

But I am open to other suggestions as well because I am really confused.

I would love a city that is young, nightlife/college oriented but I also consider the price of the rent (cost of living), the commute time, the crime rate, life opportunities (jobs), diversity (I'm white so I don't know if it matters anyway), the overall quality of the LGBT scene and maybe many other points I am missing.

To be honest I am more attracted to northern cities than southern ones (I am not a huge fan of LA and SF). I would be glad to get advices and also read the Pros and the Cons of the city of your choice.

Thank you.
You are missing some of the most per capita gay cities:

San Francisco Metro Area Ranks Highest in LGBT Percentage | Gallup

I would focus on those top 15. You'd be surprised to realize some smaller cities have just as good of a gay scene as cities 3 million plus. And they are much more affordable, thus the attraction to gays

Old 06-02-2017, 03:25 AM

565 posts, read 564,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post
Chicago, DC, Philly, Austin, and Atlanta are good choices. Tons of nightlife, young people, and a great LGBT scene.

As far as the other trendy, 20-something cities (Denver, Portland, and Seattle), these places are very expensive and don't really have the night life you are looking for. Those cities kind of shut down around 10pm, and don't really have any clubs. While they are vibrant and LGBT friendly, these are places you move to in your late 20s, early 30s to settle down a bit.
? Seattle? Seattle does not shut down around 10 pm. In fact, a couple weeks ago I was at a gay club in Capitol Hill open until 4 am (neighbors). Seattle is a smaller city but it's getting much larger. Pretty expensive though. If you're willing to get a room for rent that makes it cheaper.

Old 06-02-2017, 05:18 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,389,259 times
Chicago would be a good fit. You can live here easily without a car, depending on where you work, and that is a huge savings.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:00 PM

6,061 posts, read 3,390,242 times
I think Philadelphia might be good for you. Minneapolis is very gay but its more a bar than club scene, and thats how I like it cuz I hate clubs lol.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:47 PM

6,061 posts, read 3,390,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerio View Post
Chicago, SF, LA, NYC (in no particular order).

Grew up in Chicago, am gay, what you said in your posts you can do there. I am most familiar with the gay scene there, it's good. You'd like it. Clubs, bars, music scene, etc. What you seem to want.

SF - obviously the most iconic city for the gay scene in the US. Can find the same things you can in Chicago, and elsewhere (LA, NYC). Probably a higher concentration of gays there than Chicago. Different culture, though, nicer scenery, but the other cities are no slouches either. LA and SF: easier access to Asia (fun gay culture there too), so you can GTFO once in a while! (if you can afford it that is)

LA and NYC: biggest cities in the US, libraries, galleries, whatever, etc. abound. Cannot go wrong there. NYC has easier access to Europe, so good there. Nothing more to say, they are all competitive. Depends on what you have to survive in those cities: money, car, job? supportive parents in case you overdose on something at the club?! Who knows!

You just turned 21. You can see yourself as an adult and not a twink, but all those older gays will say "fresh meat"! Good luck! Enjoy your gay 20's! Ganbatte kudasai! (do your best!) I'm turning 30 this year, had a blast in urban America for my gay life, now in Tokyo. Woot!
Shoot, I'm fixin' to turn 23 and I'm still considered a "twink." I wonder when my cut off date will be. Maybe when I no longer pass for 17

Old 06-13-2017, 08:11 PM

6,015 posts, read 6,372,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Portland, Seattle, Austin, Denver, or San Francisco.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
Not these unless you have tons of excess money to burn prices of everything are highly inflated. Also, only San Fran is truly diverse on this list. Philly is a good bet, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta. Montreal and Toronto. Tampa perhaps.
OP specifically said he's not interested in LA or SF so no point in discussing them.

Seattle and Chicago are my favorite cities in the country and I happen to think the gay culture in both cities is great. Chicago is going to have a larger variety of nightlife and more cohesive gay neighborhoods, though Seattle's Capitol Hill has a ton of gay bars and clubs as well. You'll find a lot of educated, professional, intellectuals in both cities and can't go wrong in this regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.