U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 09:16 AM

17,251 posts, read 19,550,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gv0928 View Post
Good afternoon all!

I am a 27-year-old gay Latino, currently living in New Orleans. In a year, I expect to relocate, and wanted to seek out advice on cities that would meet the criteria I'm sharing below. I am an educator looking to leave education, and have previously worked in hospitality, primarily in Human Resources. I'm not sure what job options I'll be pursuing, but I wanted to start my research by focusing on cities that seem right for me, and then I'll move onto looking into jobs.

Progressive/Liberal city -- blue is definitely my color
Gay-friendly
Latino population and/or option to seek it out nearby
Bigger city (I'm originally a New Yorker, size does not scare me)
Affordability (Not interested in extreme costs of living like New York or San Francisco)
Good job prospects (I'm open to options, hopefully earning at least 50k)
Dog friendly (my pup will be joining, and it's important for me to have either a yard or access to parks nearby)

I love driving, but am also good at public transportation. I like beer, books, bars, and brunch. I like to travel, and would like to be near a decently-sized airport. I don't think I'd mind sprawl, nor would I mind density. I have street smarts and am not particularly worried about crime rates, though less would obviously be better.

Any suggestions?
I recommend the Philadelphia area, but do you have a college degree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2017, 10:24 AM

631 posts, read 1,970,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I recommend the Philadelphia area, but do you have a college degree?
As a teacher, I'd hope so. Yes, I have a Bachelor's degree.

Old 05-31-2017, 03:02 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,163,901 times
Denver or Atlanta hit most if not all your boxes

Old 06-01-2017, 09:20 AM

2,231 posts, read 1,690,643 times
Dallas

Old 06-01-2017, 09:26 AM

1,987 posts, read 1,238,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Dallas
It has Dallas written all over it, especially sizeable Latino & LGBT population. And Dallas meaning the CITY or at least the COUNTY.

Old 06-01-2017, 09:34 AM

2,231 posts, read 1,690,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
It has Dallas written all over it, especially sizeable Latino & LGBT population. And Dallas meaning the CITY or at least the COUNTY.
Yep. Don't move to darn near at the Oklahoma state line and then complain about how slow, boring, and conservative DALLAS is.

Old 06-01-2017, 10:06 AM

Thanks so much to everyone who has shared so far. Some of these have been expected (Chicago, Denver, Philadelphia) while others have definitely been curveballs (Dallas more than anything else). I'm appreciative of you guys helping steer me in the right direction!

Old 06-01-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Dallas
Quote:
I think I find this surprising because I've always had a natural assumption that Dallas was more conservative. Not simply because of its location in Texas, but it has always come off as the most conservative of the four largest Texan cities (Austin, San Antonio, Houston). Could you guys tell me more about why you think Dallas is a good option?

Old 06-01-2017, 11:46 AM

1,987 posts, read 1,238,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gv0928 View Post
I think I find this surprising because I've always had a natural assumption that Dallas was more conservative. Not simply because of its location in Texas, but it has always come off as the most conservative of the four largest Texan cities (Austin, San Antonio, Houston). Could you guys tell me more about why you think Dallas is a good option?
It's a natural assumption, but just not true especially the city of Dallas and Dallas County as a whole. Here are the reasons why I think it's better than the other TX cities. I do also weigh in some advantages of the other cities as well:

*Vibrant LGBT scene & more LGBT-identified than any other city in TX other than Houston. Dallas's Oak Lawn neighborhood has one of the most concentrated strips of LGBT-owned bars, clubs, hotels, and other businesses in the nation besides other major players like NYC, LA, Miami, etc. Clustered along Cedar Springs Rd. Much more so than any other TX city or Denver for that matter. Austin's 4th St. is smaller and less vibrant than Dallas's Oak Lawn. Houston's Montrose neighborhood is a lot more spread out. I'd rank Austin as either #2 or #3 most vibrant LGBT scene in Texas.

*Recent election results has Dallas just shy of being the most liberal city in TX. Over 60% of Dallas County went to Hillary and around 70% for the city. Within a couple of points of Austin & Travis County. Both Dallas and Austin received a 100% human rights score based off of LGBT Anti-Discrimination Protection and they're both a little more progressive on LGBT matters than Houston and San Antonio.

*Close to 50% of the city of Dallas identifies as either Hispanic or Latino. Some of the suburbs in Dallas County I believe are higher than that. A little bit less than Houston, but much more so than Austin. Austin is actually the whitest major city in Texas. San Antonio has more of what you call "Tejano," natives of Texas but of Mexican descent. Houston and San Antonio may have better nightlife for Latinos, but Dallas definitely blows Austin away in that category. If you want diversity, Dallas and Houston are the only 2 cities to consider in TX. End of story.

*Dallas, Houston, and Austin are pretty much in the same basket of "progressive" but with some variation. Austin as the state capital is naturally more vocal and a little more environmentally progressive. Houston is probably the most racially progressive. Dallas is like a hodge podge of being equally progressive on LGBT matters as Austin, but a little less so environmentally. More environmentally progressive than Houston though. More racially progressive than Austin. For public transit, Dallas & Houston hands down. All and all, the major TX cities tend to have a libertarian "live and let live" mindset.

Last edited by DTXman34; 06-01-2017 at 11:54 AM..

Old 06-07-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
It's a natural assumption, but just not true especially the city of Dallas and Dallas County as a whole. Here are the reasons why I think it's better than the other TX cities. I do also weigh in some advantages of the other cities as well:

*Vibrant LGBT scene & more LGBT-identified than any other city in TX other than Houston. Dallas's Oak Lawn neighborhood has one of the most concentrated strips of LGBT-owned bars, clubs, hotels, and other businesses in the nation besides other major players like NYC, LA, Miami, etc. Clustered along Cedar Springs Rd. Much more so than any other TX city or Denver for that matter. Austin's 4th St. is smaller and less vibrant than Dallas's Oak Lawn. Houston's Montrose neighborhood is a lot more spread out. I'd rank Austin as either #2 or #3 most vibrant LGBT scene in Texas.

*Recent election results has Dallas just shy of being the most liberal city in TX. Over 60% of Dallas County went to Hillary and around 70% for the city. Within a couple of points of Austin & Travis County. Both Dallas and Austin received a 100% human rights score based off of LGBT Anti-Discrimination Protection and they're both a little more progressive on LGBT matters than Houston and San Antonio.

*Close to 50% of the city of Dallas identifies as either Hispanic or Latino. Some of the suburbs in Dallas County I believe are higher than that. A little bit less than Houston, but much more so than Austin. Austin is actually the whitest major city in Texas. San Antonio has more of what you call "Tejano," natives of Texas but of Mexican descent. Houston and San Antonio may have better nightlife for Latinos, but Dallas definitely blows Austin away in that category. If you want diversity, Dallas and Houston are the only 2 cities to consider in TX. End of story.

*Dallas, Houston, and Austin are pretty much in the same basket of "progressive" but with some variation. Austin as the state capital is naturally more vocal and a little more environmentally progressive. Houston is probably the most racially progressive. Dallas is like a hodge podge of being equally progressive on LGBT matters as Austin, but a little less so environmentally. More environmentally progressive than Houston though. More racially progressive than Austin. For public transit, Dallas & Houston hands down. All and all, the major TX cities tend to have a libertarian "live and let live" mindset.
Thanks for the thoughtful response! I think my hesitation with Dallas - and Texas in general - is how everpresent the red seems to be. I think you've definitely encouraged me to research more, though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or