U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City Is The Best To Live In After College?
San Francisco 4 17.39%
Los Angeles 4 17.39%
San Diego 6 26.09%
Austin 7 30.43%
Boston 5 21.74%
New York 7 30.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 04:36 PM

258 posts, read 1,411,427 times

Advertisements

So I'm looking to move to one of the following cities: San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, Austin, Boston, or New York. I've visited all these cities and know they are all great places but I'm having a hard time deciding which is the one. I'm looking for advice from people that know a good deal about these cities. Basically I just want advice from people like myself who moved to one of these cities after college. What did you like and dislike about the city? Would you do it all over again or would you have gone to a different city? Originally I'm from the midwest and went to school in Florida. I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking to do in terms of a career so that doesn't help eliminate any of the cities. Heres what I like and dislike about all of the places.

San Francisco - Good job market, liberal vibe / Expensive, cold weather

Los Angeles - Good weather and job market / Overcrowded, traffic, poor air quality

San Diego - Good weather and nice sized town / Job market

Austin - Always something to do, eco-conscious and laid back / Job market, strictly a college town?

Boston - Sports town, good colleges, good job market / Cold weather

New York - Great job market, things to do, public transit / Very expensive, cold weather

Last edited by SiddharthaGautama; 03-09-2008 at 04:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 04:42 PM

386 posts, read 1,537,195 times
What your degree was in will likely determine which of these cities works for you. If you were an English major or something that will yield you very little money...Austin is a great buy. I chose San Diego because, well, it's San Diego. Just be sure you can afford it......

Old 03-09-2008, 05:05 PM

I was a Film major with a minor in Information Technology. I'm just not sure I want to pursue that field and even if I did, all of these cities would work. Even though Los Angeles would be ideal. San Diego would be one of my top choices but I've heard the job market isn't that good and it definitely doesn't equal out to the cost of living.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:42 PM

2,467 posts, read 11,306,637 times
My advice would be to try to find a job in these cities and see where you land!

Old 03-09-2008, 07:50 PM

87 posts, read 265,169 times
I think Austin, it's the cheapest and one of the most fun cities out of those IMHO.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegirl_98 View Post
My advice would be to try to find a job in these cities and see where you land!
From my experience it seems that employers won't even think of hiring you if you are currently out of state.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:39 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,050,763 times
For film, definitely one of the SoCal cities. LA or San Diego.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:11 AM

2,223 posts, read 4,136,478 times
The only affordable city for a recent college graduate that you listed is Austin.

Sure, you can get by just barely in LA, San Diego, and Boston, but it's very hard to get by post college in New York without help from roommates and a VERY secure income.

You can live in NY if you move far away from the city... and I mean far. But it's very hard.

I suggest starting off in Austin and seeing where your career takes you. If you get a financially secure job that you will be happy off of in New York (which means you'll spend more on things than rent) you can move there, but many people I know who live there leave quickly because it's so expensive. But it's a great city.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:31 AM

8,193 posts, read 22,333,621 times
How about Minneapolis? As far as film is concerned it has the fourth largest market and would be easier to make things happen there then it would in California or New York. Check out IFP.org - Chapter Home (http://www.ifp.org/chapter_home.php?chapter=5 - broken link)

Boston doesn't have that strong of a film industry, so it could be a choice place to break in and create one. I'd say that this would be your best bet.

Austin is too hip for its or anyone's good. Would be cool if you want to work for MTV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.