U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Information about San Diego, Seattle, Chicago, San Jose, San Francisco; non-discriminatory, democratic, modern city, shopping, strong black community, minorities in civic leadership

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 12:37 AM

8,193 posts, read 22,348,908 times

Advertisements

And, I might ask; why San Jose? Seriously, dude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 08:14 AM

905 posts, read 2,584,467 times
I'm gonna say San Francisco comes closest to meeting your criteria (none of them are a perfect match). For a big, important city its pretty laid-back and while it's not exactly warm and sunny all year-round, it doesn't really get cold. The only problem is that it is pricey; it's one of most expensive real estate markets in the country. It doesn't have a particularly large black community, but it is diverse and liberal so I don't think you'd feel out of place.

Chicago would work - it's certainly more affordable - but the winters suck and its more hectic than SF.

I don't know much about Seattle, San Jose and San Diego, though I know the latter two are reputed to be somewhat conservative (by California standards, anyway) and more sprawling. Seattle could be a good compromise, its colder than SF but warmer than Chicago, and closer to the latter in terms of affordability, I think.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:09 PM

395 posts, read 1,222,895 times
To all curious of chicago:

Be warned of the winter here and how long it lasts. People coming from southern areas, or farther south than the upper midwest may not realize how long it lasts. but, if you don't mind the cold weather, this is the city for you.

I've met too many people here that heard great things about moving here, and end up moving here, only to move away due to the weather...so just a reminder, it's not paradise.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:42 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,461,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownwarrior View Post
To all curious of chicago:

Be warned of the winter here and how long it lasts. People coming from southern areas, or farther south than the upper midwest may not realize how long it lasts. but, if you don't mind the cold weather, this is the city for you.

I've met too many people here that heard great things about moving here, and end up moving here, only to move away due to the weather...so just a reminder, it's not paradise.
Well, thats the issue with alot of areas, Chicago isnt unique in that perspective. You get a 5 months of cold-to-frigid winter here, a short but nice spring, a nice and warm (to HOT at times) summer, and a glorious fall. IMO the nice spring, summer and fall more than make up for the cold winter, and there is no better place to be than in Chicago for the warmer months. NO place has perfect weather. Those places that have mild winters often have horrible summers. Win some, lose some.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:59 PM

5,522 posts, read 12,299,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Well, thats the issue with alot of areas, Chicago isnt unique in that perspective. You get a 5 months of cold-to-frigid winter here, a short but nice spring, a nice and warm (to HOT at times) summer, and a glorious fall. IMO the nice spring, summer and fall more than make up for the cold winter, and there is no better place to be than in Chicago for the warmer months. NO place has perfect weather. Those places that have mild winters often have horrible summers. Win some, lose some.
The cold weather keeps the riff-raff and weak away.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:57 PM

5,716 posts, read 14,583,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
And, I might ask; why San Jose? Seriously, dude.
Dude, brah, seriously. Why do you post this, man?
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonwattagelimit View Post
San Jose and San Diego, though I know the latter two are reputed to be somewhat conservative
No, you apparently don't know.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:22 PM

692 posts, read 2,422,209 times
[quote]The cold weather keeps the riff-raff and weak away. [quote]

Keep telling yourself that son. Chicago winters just ain't that tough.
The folk up in Minnesota are way hardier. Lets face it people living
in metros tend to go from heated car to heated work to heated homes
to heated stores..... Now Illinois farmers that's another story.

As far as riff-raff , they love the social handouts your sales/property
tax provides for. Crime rate and public schools argue against your theory.

Seriously dude if you want to talk up Chicago note the good stuff.
Great restaurants, entertainment venues, nightlife, museums and
an occasional winning sports team in which the folk really rally behind.
If you want a party, Chicago is a party.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:18 PM

5,522 posts, read 12,299,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danco View Post
Keep telling yourself that son. Chicago winters just ain't that tough.
The folk up in Minnesota are way hardier. Lets face it people living
in metros tend to go from heated car to heated work to heated homes
to heated stores..... Now Illinois farmers that's another story.

As far as riff-raff , they love the social handouts your sales/property
tax provides for. Crime rate and public schools argue against your theory.

Seriously dude if you want to talk up Chicago note the good stuff.
Great restaurants, entertainment venues, nightlife, museums and
an occasional winning sports team in which the folk really rally behind.
If you want a party, Chicago is a party.
C'mon, its a joke. Besides, not all of us drive from heated home to heated work in a heated car. When I went to school in Chicago, I walked from my apartment to school uphill both ways through ten feet of snow. (again, a joke)

Old 03-10-2008, 09:46 PM

692 posts, read 2,422,209 times
Quote:
When I went to school in Chicago, I walked from my apartment to school uphill both ways through ten feet of snow.
..... and we liked it. ( a dana carvey joke).

Yeah we walked everywhere too, or took the el.
As a former Chicagoan it was the cost to reward ratio, not the weather
that had me weenie out.

Dude is the Come Back Inn still open in your area ?
It's a restaurant that looked like a Bavarian Lodge.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:47 AM

5,859 posts, read 14,065,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonwattagelimit View Post
. It doesn't have a particularly large black community, but it is diverse and liberal so I don't think you'd feel out of place.

Regarding your racial criteria, San Francisco's probably your best bet, but as neonwattage points out, it's not a huge black community.

Here are the numbers (2004 estimates based on 2000 census data):

In the West, the BLACKEST MSAs are:
1. (tie) San Francisco/Oakland/Fremont and Las Vegas/Paradise (9%)
2. (tie) Sacramento/Arden/Arcade/Roseville and Los Angeles/Long Beach/Santa Ana (7%)
3. (tie) Bakersfield and Colorado Springs (6%)
4. (tie) Seattle/Tacoma/Bellview and San Diego/Carlsbad/San Marcos and Denver/Aurora and Fresno (5%)
5. (tie) Phoenix/Mesa/Scottsdale (4%)

The LEAST BLACK Western MSAs are: Salt Lake City, Oxnard, Albuquerque, Tucson, Phoenix, Seattle, Denver, San Diego, Fresno

These are MSAs, so SF city is undoubtedly considerably less than 9% since Oakland and Richmond are included in its MSA, and both have larger black communities than does SF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or