U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 07:16 AM

56,696 posts, read 80,995,527 times

Advertisements

This is another NY location that could work: Is the Plattsburgh area the best kept secret in NY State?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 07:36 AM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 24 days ago)

8,720 posts, read 10,854,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDontGiveAHeck View Post
Utica, NY checks off literally everything there, but Upstate NY is very gloomy. It's either worse (Syracuse) or better (Albany) than Seattle and Portland, gloom wise, but around the 44-48% annual sunshine range.

Utica has the Adirondacks, which is a state park the size of Vermont or New Hampshire. It's larger than the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, etc. combined. It's the most frustratingly underrated park in the country.

Affordable, because well, the climate sucks.

FX Matts, oldest brewery in NYS. Strong beer culture (Utica Club, Saranac)

Has a zoo, AHL hockey team, largest 15k Road Race in the country (Boilermaker) and signature Italian food (tomato pie, chicken riggies, greens, etc.) that you can basically only in Utica (save for tomato pie, also a Philadelphia thing).

Utica Music Fest and Munson Williams Museum has a partnership with Pratt in Brooklyn. Decent arts community.
I lived in Syracuse for a year and could not believe how cloudy it was. At night, the sky was white. You could see it through the blinds. White as daylight. Weird and bizarre. I couldn't adjust to that little sunshine, among many other undesirable factors. Many months I'd see the sun maybe 20 % of the time. I seriously can see why people don't smile there much.

Albany and south of that area isn't as bad. It's partly sunny/cloudy and less snow. Weather is good/bad mixed together.
Saugerties, Woodstock, New Paltz feel different from Albany and surrounding areas. Not as "uptight" and "zipped up" as Capitols usually are.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
I lived in Syracuse for a year and could not believe how cloudy it was. At night, the sky was white. You could see it through the blinds. White as daylight. Weird and bizarre. I couldn't adjust to that little sunshine, among many other undesirable factors. Many months I'd see the sun maybe 20 % of the time. I seriously can see why people don't smile there much.

Albany and south of that area isn't as bad. It's partly sunny/cloudy and less snow. Weather is good/bad mixed together.
Saugerties, Woodstock, New Paltz feel different from Albany and surrounding areas. Not as "uptight" and "zipped up" as Capitols usually are.
Anything further east in NY gets a higher percentage of sun and less snow on average. This includes an area like Plattsburgh. Even further west, the higher snowfall totals are closer to the lakes.

Also, with the sun/cloudiness aspect, the weather can change many times within a day in Syracuse and places further west. So, it may also be a matter of how days of sunshine/cloudiness are counted. For instance, it rained and was cloudy early in the morning and now the sun is shining. All of this within a 3-4 hour time period. You can get a string of cloudy winter days, but you can also get a string of relatively mild winter days. Weather can actually be quite unpredictable at times.

As for people smiling or not smiling, it just depends on the person, to be honest. People are generally down to earth folks, that once you get to know them, they can be pretty cool. You may get your occasional random conversations as well.

Also, cost of living is lower in the Utica not due to weather, but due to other factors.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-31-2017 at 09:24 AM..

Old 05-31-2017, 08:11 AM

21,204 posts, read 30,404,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloHome View Post
Boone is a great place, but it's on the expensive side of the cost of living spectrum. Cookeville is much more affordable and is also a university town (Tennessee Tech U and Vol State CC), also has three breweries in town and another one just outside of town.

https://www.facebook.com/jigheadbrewing/
https://www.facebook.com/hixfarmbrewery/
https://www.facebook.com/Redsilobrewing/
https://www.facebook.com/calfkillerbrewingcompany/

One cost of living calculator has Boone at 115, Cookeville at 75 (100 being the national average). City-data stats show that Boone has per capita income of $13,419 but median rent of $853 and house or condo value of $274,930. Cookeville is much more affordable with per capita income of $21,938 but median rent of $711 and house or condo value of $170,152.

Cullowhee NC might be another possibility, right by the Smoky Mountains with lots of whitewater rafting, kayaking, hiking, etc., and right by Western Carolina U, but its per capita income is only $8,147 (yikes). I own a cabin just outside of Cullowhee and love the area because it is much more affordable than Boone. But wages are crazy low, and NC taxes are higher than TN. But it is a stunningly beautiful area. Still, when all things are factored in (wages, cost of living, taxes, outdoor recreation, natural beauty, proximity to bigger cities) it really is hard to beat Cookeville.
There's so much more to do in the Boone area with it's proximity to Blowing Rock, Banner Elk and the Blue Ridge Parkway though...hence the higher cost of living which pretty much always matches with desirability. In the grand scheme $850 a month isn't bad if one considers what it costs in most cities to rent. There's also a progressive nature to the Boone area (very heavily "Blue") which is probably largely missing from the Cookeville area given it's "deep Red" voting record. It may matter (or not) to the OP, but a definite stumbling block perhaps.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:20 AM

11,290 posts, read 7,882,679 times
Las Cruces/Mesilla NM meets your criteria. Right size, rather affordable and wide open spaces with mountains. The climate is excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwqowwK2-Ag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYa1ifLyHPY

Last edited by WildWestDude; 05-31-2017 at 09:47 AM..

Old 05-31-2017, 12:12 PM

After viewing this thread from years back: Naturally beautiful cities/towns with an urban/walkable core?

Cities/bigger villages in the Albany-Schenectady-Troy metro may be a good fit in terms of built environment, city population and proximity to nature/mountains. Albany has a little over 100k in terms of population and has some rowhouse/dense, walkable neighborhoods like Pine Hills, Helderberg, Delaware Avenue and the Washington Park area that may work. Troy and Schenectady are smaller and have similar areas(Downtown and around RPI in Troy/the Union Street Corridor and the Stockade areas in Schenectady). Parts of Cohoes and Watervliet just north of Albany/west of Troy may be options as well. Hudson about 25-30 minutes south of Albany also comes to mind. Same for Ballston Spa. Ballston Spa's very close proximity to Saratoga Springs and this venue: Saratoga Performing Arts Center may be appealing.

For something near the Catskills and Cooperstown: Visit Oneonta NY :: Home

Dining, Shopping, Services - Destination Downtown Oneonta, NY
Everything Oneonta, NY | Oneonta Calendar, Menus, & More
Oneonta, NY | Cooperstown, NY Official Site
Cooperstown, NY Official Site - Vacation Guide to Cooperstown & Oneonta

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-31-2017 at 12:27 PM..

Old 05-31-2017, 02:45 PM

1,244 posts, read 2,522,240 times
Northampton Mass area, scenery, restaurants, music, nightlife, tons of entertainment that the colleges bring in. Lively downtown , bike paths, the city itself is very bike friendly, within 2 hours of Boston, skiing in Vermont and New Hampshire, NYC a 3 hour train ride south.

All in all a great place to live.

I forgot to mention that Northampton is mere minutes from hiking, the Ct River , and just about anything else you would want to do outdoors.

Old 05-31-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDontGiveAHeck View Post
Utica is still a ****box though. I'm not sure people here are really aware of how gloomy it is, because when I grew up here, I assumed our weather was the weather everywhere. Then I moved away and lived in a few other states and boy was I wrong. Upstate NY's climate is incredibly depressing. There could be a blizzard going on in Utica and NYC will be sunny and 40. In fact, that's very common in the winter. Two totally different worlds.

When I found out that Syracuse was as gloomy as Seattle and Portland, it all made sense. Yuck. The biggest difference though, is that Seattle and Portland are trendy and booming. Syracuse is not. There is world class scenery and hiking, professional sports, very historic nightlife and entertainment, booming economy, progressive politics, etc.

The gloomy weather in Upstate NY hits you harder, because in addition to that, there's no jobs or pro sports, etc. Syracuse is very boring compared to it's Pacific Northwest peers. At least out there you have a ton of distractions. Syracuse is more like an 80's version of Tacoma or Aberdeen.

Seattle is known for having days on end of drizzle, well Syracuse should be known for having days on end of snowfall. Literally. This past winter I think I counted 20 consecutive days of snow in Utica, which is normal for winter. It's insanely depressing. Vitamin D deficiency is rampant here.
Actually, except for a few bursts of heavy snow, the immediate Syracuse area didn't get hit with snow for days at a time. Further north got hit with snow pretty hard though. So, it can be totally different within minutes. This is especially the case if you are referring to areas in a snow belt.

Syracuse is more like Tacoma or Spokane in terms of size versus being compared to Aberdeen(much smaller) and I don't know about it being an '80's version. Syracuse exceeds the OP's population criteria anyway by a good 45,000 people, let alone mentioning Seattle or Portland. If he was interested, I would say that the Westcott neighborhood due to its walkable business district, proximity to parks/Syracuse University/SUNY-ESF/hospitals/professional theater, its vibe and more: Westcott Neighborhood Association - Westcott Community

UNPA | University Neighborhood Preservation Association

Perhaps even Franklin Square, Tipperary Hill, Hawley-Green(where the 2 streets meet) and Downtown as well, depending upon his budget. Villages in the area like Liverpool, Baldwinsville, Manlius, Fayetteville, Hamilton and depending on budget, Skaneateles and Cazenovia are nice, quaint and most are a short/reasonable drive away from Syracuse.

On the flip side, the infrastructure in order to clear snow in a timely manner is in place.

I still wouldn't discourage the OP from the Upstate NY options, given the general criteria and proximity to nature and in some cases, bigger cities/areas.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-31-2017 at 03:28 PM..

Old 05-31-2017, 03:19 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,165,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Check out the Boone NC area (elevation 3300 feet) which makes for pleasantly cool summers. It's an outdoor sports paradise with every genre available including hiking, biking/mountain biking, whitewater rafting, kayaking and rock-climbing all in high caliber locations sought out by outdoor enthusiasts from all over. Boone is also a college town (Appalachian State University) but even in summer is thriving with all of the outdoor activities. Boone has four breweries, three in town and one in neighboring Blowing Rock plus dozens of great restaurants in the tri-town area (Boone, Blowing Rock and Banner Elk) which are at most 15 minutes apart.

Outdoor Activities in Boone, NC | Blue Ridge Mountains
Restaurants in Boone, NC | Blue Ridge Mountain Dining
Boone NC is an awesome place and so is Asheville NC it is hard to find a good paying job in those towns but they are awesome to visit and pretty chill places to live as well.

Old 05-31-2017, 03:43 PM

4,403 posts, read 4,612,728 times
Check out Wenatchee Washington. I think it would be everything you dream of. A quaint little town on the doorsteps of spectacular nature and recreation opportunities. The only problem is it is somewhat pricey but much cheaper than Seattle.

Where I live in Yakima WA might work for you as well. It is close to the Cascade Mountains and Mount Rainer. You would have endless outdoor activities nearby. Plus this is one of the cheapest cities in Washington State. The only problem is it isn't quaint. There is a lot of crime and urban issues that make it feel like a bigger city than it is (just under 100k).But if you stay away from downtown you can avoid the worst of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or