Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 01:31 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,788,728 times

Advertisements

Dallas. Modern and booming, in the middle of the country, people from every region of the US are moving there, and just about every major national chain is represented there. To top it off, the scenery is about as middle-of-the-road as you can get. It doesn't really look like it belongs in the east, west, north or south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 12:01 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,243,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Dallas. Modern and booming, in the middle of the country, people from every region of the US are moving there, and just about every major national chain is represented there. To top it off, the scenery is about as middle-of-the-road as you can get. It doesn't really look like it belongs in the east, west, north or south.
I don't know if being neither here nor there is America? But then again ... if we isolate ourselves vs the rest of the world as a nation?

I'd thing a more middle of the Nation city that ACTUALLY has aspects of both the East and West Coast with a Middle America factor too? Would be MORE a SUM of America today.

Old 06-05-2017, 01:33 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,117,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
I don't know if being neither here nor there is America? But then again ... if we isolate ourselves vs the rest of the world as a nation?

I'd thing a more middle of the Nation city that ACTUALLY has aspects of both the East and West Coast with a Middle America factor too? Would be MORE a SUM of America today.
Dallas does have some of those aspects, but I'm not 100% sure if it sums up America today. What city/metro ranks in the middle for diversity, transplants vs. native born, political lean, urban amenities, etc.? It could very well be a mid-size city.

Old 06-11-2017, 02:28 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times
Indianapolis, Columbus, Kansas City, Dallas, Charlotte.

You need somewhere where the scenery isn't too distinct, with a change of seasons, with a large downtown and several suburbs. With middle class areas, with some wealthy areas and with poor and crime filled areas as well. Where people drive a lot. Where there's plenty to do but its not a huge tourist destination. Also somewhere where farm land is not too far away, either.

Old 06-11-2017, 03:16 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,925,047 times
Between Kansas City and St. Louis, I would say Kansas City is more "typical" as St. Louis is more impoverished and crime-ridden than most of America, at least in the city itself. It also has suburban ghettoes like Ferguson. For the same reason Baltimore has too much crime and poverty to be "typical". St. Louis, Baltimore, Detroit, and Chicago all represent the dark underbelly of modern America. Chicago additionally is known for political corruption and radical politics that are outside the mainstream, the city that gave rise to figures like Saul Alinsky, Jeremiah Wright, and the Obamas. Its gotten to the point where Baltimore is often described as a Third World city and Chicago is compared to a war zone.

I do think Baton Rouge really sums up America today and we are mostly a suburban nation for better or worse. This is one of the most suburban-feeling major cities in America and downtown only has a few high rises. This is a very car-centered area with many areas of town dominated by large strip malls, big box stores, fast food restaurants, and chain businesses with several major freeways. People drive everything. The economy is a mix of white collar and blue collar with a lot of white collar jobs associated with LSU but also a healthy industrial sector for example the Exxon refinery is one of the largest in the nation and there are many petroleum and chemical companies. The manufacturing sector here is healthier than in the Northeast or Midwest. A lot of housing is in suburban tracts and gated apartment complexes and there is still a lot of construction of single-family homes in the suburbs while in some metro areas the movement is toward more high-density development.

Also lots of rural areas right outside the metro area and some individual suburbs still have a historic small town feel in some areas. For example Denham Springs has a beautiful old historic downtown with antique stores with a water tower overlooking it. About 45 miles away is the heart of plantation country where you can step back into the good ol' days.

In contrast, I would say that West Virginia is a place that sums up America as it used to be.

Old 06-15-2017, 01:52 PM

178 posts, read 146,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I would agree Houston Texas is very "American" feeling.
I'm actually typing this from Houston right now.

It's a great city too. Lots of diversity, affordable housing, vast suburbs, freeway network that is as impressive as LAs. People are proud to be from here, guns are pretty "in your face" here as well. Lots of people from all different walks of life. Represents everything America is about.
I think you are right but along with Dallas and Atlanta

Old 06-15-2017, 01:55 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,877,527 times
Columbus OH is about as average American as you can get. Food chains test their market for America in Columbus OH.

Old 06-15-2017, 02:16 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,449,561 times
Well the entire country caves to the San Francisco Bay area. Look at all the people taking their cues from social media that originates there. It's become a huge part of many people's lives, especially the under 40 crowd.

Old 06-15-2017, 02:38 PM

178 posts, read 146,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Between Kansas City and St. Louis, I would say Kansas City is more "typical" as St. Louis is more impoverished and crime-ridden than most of America, at least in the city itself. It also has suburban ghettoes like Ferguson. For the same reason Baltimore has too much crime and poverty to be "typical". St. Louis, Baltimore, Detroit, and Chicago all represent the dark underbelly of modern America. Chicago additionally is known for political corruption and radical politics that are outside the mainstream, the city that gave rise to figures like Saul Alinsky, Jeremiah Wright, and the Obamas. Its gotten to the point where Baltimore is often described as a Third World city and Chicago is compared to a war zone.

I do think Baton Rouge really sums up America today and we are mostly a suburban nation for better or worse. This is one of the most suburban-feeling major cities in America and downtown only has a few high rises. This is a very car-centered area with many areas of town dominated by large strip malls, big box stores, fast food restaurants, and chain businesses with several major freeways. People drive everything. The economy is a mix of white collar and blue collar with a lot of white collar jobs associated with LSU but also a healthy industrial sector for example the Exxon refinery is one of the largest in the nation and there are many petroleum and chemical companies. The manufacturing sector here is healthier than in the Northeast or Midwest. A lot of housing is in suburban tracts and gated apartment complexes and there is still a lot of construction of single-family homes in the suburbs while in some metro areas the movement is toward more high-density development.

Also lots of rural areas right outside the metro area and some individual suburbs still have a historic small town feel in some areas. For example Denham Springs has a beautiful old historic downtown with antique stores with a water tower overlooking it. About 45 miles away is the heart of plantation country where you can step back into the good ol' days.

In contrast, I would say that West Virginia is a place that sums up America as it used to be.
Isnt there a lot of crime and poverty in Baton Rouge?

Old 06-16-2017, 05:36 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,482,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Well the entire country caves to the San Francisco Bay area. Look at all the people taking their cues from social media that originates there. It's become a huge part of many people's lives, especially the under 40 crowd.
I think San Francisco is often portrayed as the "cool" part of the country and the rest of the country often imitates them, esp with the tech trends. But overall, I don't think they're representative of the country as a whole. I picked Sacramento instead, which is influenced heavily by San Francisco but is far more in touch with mainstream American culture (too lazy to list all the reasons; search for my post on this earlier on page 2 or 3.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.