U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 05:33 PM

2,324 posts, read 1,461,105 times

Advertisements

Los Angeles, NYC, Miami are all names that people throw around when it comes to the US. But what city sums up the real american way of life...Freedom, pride, capitalism, sports, family...
In my opinion it would be Houston...Texas has pretty laid back laws, housing is still affordable, you don't need that much $$ to have a good living, plenty of sports, jobs, freeways, skyscrapers, pride...it is just written american all over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 06:10 PM

1,012 posts, read 639,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
Los Angeles, NYC, Miami are all names that people throw around when it comes to the US. But what city sums up the real american way of life...Freedom, pride, capitalism, sports, family...
In my opinion it would be Houston...Texas has pretty laid back laws, housing is still affordable, you don't need that much $$ to have a good living, plenty of sports, jobs, freeways, skyscrapers, pride...it is just written american all over it.
The United States is and always has been a predominately non-Hispanic white country. Last I checked, Houston city proper is home to fewer non-Hispanic whites than Los Angeles city proper -- and that's really saying something.

Perhaps if your American worldview revolves around California, Texas and Florida, then maybe Houston is the epitome of America; however, for the country at large, cities like Des Moines, Omaha and Wichita fit the bill much more so than Houston.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:01 PM

4,264 posts, read 6,344,366 times
I've long considered Chicago the Great American City. After all, it's the city that invented skyscrapers! And its got ethnic diversity, sports, freeways, subways, civic pride, an amazing history, four-season weather, first-class restaurants and entertainment, a huge business community, both high and popular culture, bungalows with little lawns and skyscrapers with penthouses, great wealth, great poverty--and yes, even a sizable middle-class--all without the high cost-of-living, intensity, and occasional smugness of the great coastal cities. Yes it's got problems, but every city does. It's just that Chicago has a lot more good stuff to go along with its issues than most other places. Which is, in its way, very much like the U.S. Problems for sure, but the good outweighs the bad.

On the other hand New York is the Great World City in the U.S. It's as American as anywhere else, and in some ways even more so. But by virtue of its size and history, New York operates on a whole different level than anywhere else in the country.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:13 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,724,856 times
I think Cincinnati is pretty representative.

-It is democrat in the city, but the suburbs are staunchly republican;

-It has history, but was once on the frontier, it is not part of the colonial coastal states;

-It is reasonably diverse, on the underground railroad/post Civil war black migrations, strong Jewish history, Dixie Highway migrations, etc., but still very Anglo-German middle American;

-It is the center of its region's industry, corporate, and agricultural economy, representing the major sectors of the economy;

-It has strong Catholic and Protestant communities, but is not extreme bible belt;

-It is Midwest, but has significant influence from the east coast and the South;

Last edited by JMT; 06-04-2017 at 05:29 AM..

Old 05-30-2017, 07:22 PM

4,995 posts, read 7,306,567 times
Quote:
I would agree Houston Texas is very "American" feeling.
I'm actually typing this from Houston right now.

It's a great city too. Lots of diversity, affordable housing, vast suburbs, freeway network that is as impressive as LAs. People are proud to be from here, guns are pretty "in your face" here as well. Lots of people from all different walks of life. Represents everything America is about.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:24 PM

7,290 posts, read 15,342,559 times
Quote:
But what city sums up the real american way of life...Freedom, pride, capitalism, sports, family...
I'd say that is a description of one of many American ways of life - definitely not THE description of the "real" American way of life. America consists of a lot of people who value various things and several things in your list may not make others' lists.

Last edited by PNW-type-gal; 05-30-2017 at 07:25 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-30-2017, 07:29 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,161,493 times
Detroit and Cleveland are my choices

Old 05-30-2017, 07:32 PM

53 posts, read 45,556 times
Dennis the Menace is set in Wichita KS

Old 05-30-2017, 07:52 PM

3,955 posts, read 3,272,307 times
I live in Houston and was raised here, and honestly, when I initially read your post, the cities that immediately jumped to mind were primarily Midwestern and Rust Belt- St. Louis, Pittsburg, Chicago, Cincinnati (to name a few).

But then I re-read the thread title and the last three words jumped out at me "America of today" and I can see why you mentioned Houston. It's large, diverse, exciting and filled with people from all different backgrounds that mesh together well based on principles that Americans tend to value.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:59 PM

626 posts, read 575,135 times
Why not NYC or LA? Thats how a very large portion of America lives. Why are they always dismissed as not being real Americans?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.