U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 06:23 PM

4,571 posts, read 7,034,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Next thing, we'll be calling Detroit expensive because 1BR rents are $850 now instead of $600.
The median income of Detroit at $26K and it's been that way since the recession. 40% of residents are classified as below poverty level. If rents are rising and yet incomes are flat or worse, then that's kind of a huge problem.

Not a huge problem just for Detroit, but for any city where people are not making enough money to keep up with housing or general COL. Doesn't matter if it's $600 or $6,000, incomes have to correlate with how much it costs to live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 06:32 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,884,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
The median income of Detroit at $26K and it's been that way since the recession. 40% of residents are classified as below poverty level. If rents are rising and yet incomes are flat or worse, then that's kind of a huge problem.

Not a huge problem just for Detroit, but for any city where people are not making enough money to keep up with housing or general COL. Doesn't matter if it's $600 or $6,000, incomes have to correlate with how much it costs to live there.
My original question was why does CD call places expensive. Do we have more set guidelines, or do we just throw the word around. Are you saying this is why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Nashville proper can be expensive and the inner ring suburbs are expensive but you can still find a place close to Nashville a bit out in the country for cheap if you can handle a long commute.
I'm not worried about it. That wasn't the point of my OP.

Old 06-05-2017, 09:37 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 20 days ago)

10,485 posts, read 14,320,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
My original question was why does CD call places expensive. Do we have more set guidelines, or do we just throw the word around. Are you saying this is why?

I'm not worried about it. That wasn't the point of my OP.
I'm a little confused by your use of "we" as if all the posters in CD are in agreement, or as though the majority are in agreement. I rarely find that to be the case, especially in this particular sub-forum. Some people may call Nashville expensive, but many do not, too many differing opinions to truly say "CD does this or that".

Old 06-05-2017, 09:39 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,163,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I'm a little confused by your use of "we" as if all the posters in CD are in agreement, or as though the majority are in agreement. I rarely find that to be the case, especially in this particular sub-forum. Some people may call Nashville expensive, but many do not, too many differing opinions to truly say "CD does this or that".
Agreed

Old 06-06-2017, 12:00 AM

5,122 posts, read 3,884,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Well my post wasn't strictly about Nashville, I just used it as an example. I say "we" because like I said, I see "expensive" thrown around in various threads, many times for cities you wouldn't generally see as expensive. So the whole point of this was just to see why we call x city expensive and what we consider it to be.

I think we're all in agreement that expense and COL is relative, that's why I presented the question - or at least tried to - in a general sense.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:15 AM

870 posts, read 752,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
If the average renting resident is spending more then a third of their gross income on rent, it is too expensive.
How do you define this? Average rents change from month to month and there are always massive exceptions. Someone just cited a $1200 average rent for a 1 bedroom in Nashville, but Apartments.com shows over 700 1 BRs available now for under $1100. Is that really a good standard?

Old 06-06-2017, 09:18 AM

928 posts, read 1,402,978 times
I live in Atlanta, and my friend lives in Nashville. We both pay about the same in rent (she pays $800, I pay $950), yet we both have roommates. Her place is a little cheaper than mine because she has 2 roommates while I only have 1. But Nashville housing prices for buying homes are a lot higher than Atlanta's right now. So while we can rent for similar amounts, if she wants to purchase a place it'll likely cost more than Atlanta. That's because Nashville is a smaller city, therefore not as many homes, and they are in demand.

Old 07-19-2017, 02:09 PM

4,856 posts, read 2,984,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
To someone coming from a small town in the Midwest Nashville would seem expensive, to someone coming from Cali, D.C or NYC it would seem dirt cheap. I think the reason people call Nashville and other similar areas expensive is because a lot of the new urban apartments have high rent and these places are becoming more desirable and trendy, which is driving prices up. I also think a lot of people expect Nashville and Charlotte to be dirt cheap and are surprised when they find out they aren't.
I'm experiencing this contemplating my move from DC to Denver. DC makes Denver look affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or