U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-01-2017, 04:19 PM
 
1 posts, read 371 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Looking for some advice.

My work contract ends 12-months from today, and I've decided to start a 501 (c) (3) theater nonprofit to engage folks trying to get and stay sober (in a space that's not AA). For this next year, I'm trying to figure out where.

I'd probably have better luck someplace where there's an existing theater scene, but most of those places are urban, and I'd like to be someplace quiet, green, and close to nature. It doesn't have to be rural, and a small city would do me just fine. Just keep the sprawl and concrete to a minimum.

Also, most places with theater scenes usually have lots of yuppie-hipster types. Keep that crap to a minimum too.

I'm also thinking, maybe, a state that has a reputation for supporting both the arts as well as community-based public-health projects addressing substance abuse. While I'm personally a moderate independent, blue state-level politics could be a plus. However, I intend to primarily fund the project through private grants, so I'm not sure how much politics will really matter.

I'd also like to be someplace with four seasons, but it's not necessary. I don't mind hot, humid summers or cold snowy winters. I don't mind bugs. I'm not worried about crime or natural disasters (when my number's up, it's up). But keep the cost of living low.

I'm thinking I'll limit my focus to three possible regions, and then I'll do my own research and ask more specific questions in the local forums. Here's my initial list:

Northern Minnesota
Eastern Iowa
Northern New England
Upstate New York
Willamette Valley, Oregon
Puget Sound, Washington

Any ideas on how I should go about whiddling that list of six down to three?

Are there any other regions that I missed?

Thank you kindly.

Last edited by fancyfizzywater; 06-01-2017 at 04:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-01-2017, 11:52 PM
 
4,447 posts, read 2,621,737 times
Reputation: 10380
If you are thinking/ looking in upstate NY, try Binghamton NY area.

We are a quiet area, rural, yet have a few attributes.

We have The Maine's Veterans Memorial Arena, The Forum, The Anderson Performing Arts Center at Binghamton University. We have at least two major first run movie chains. We also have several small theaters, differing genres, both live production and motion picture.

We have Junior league baseball and hockey teams, plus with a two year college and the University, plenty of collegiate sports.

We have STAP, the Southern Tier Aids Program, very active in the community. And we have agencies who address substance abuse and a detox center and rehab center, as well as outpatient clinics and therapy.

We have three hospital/health care systems.

We have two malls, the Oakdale mall and the Town Square mall.

We are a stable economy, though minimum wage based, meaning pay rates are from minimum wage ( currently$9.70/hr) to $15 an hour the general rate. Hospital employees make more of course, so can the college and university crews. It may not rake in $250/ticket starting prices, but the economy is STABLE.
You can buy a nice three or four bedroom house for under $150k easily, and most likely can spend less.

Could we support such a theater? I don't know, we support off Broadway shows at the Forum, usually close to, or sold out. But if you really want to make a lot of money in your venue/genre, perhaps you should really consider a large city like New York City.

Check it out, we could use something new, even with all we've got.
Just a suggestion.

Last edited by galaxyhi; 06-02-2017 at 12:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2017, 07:22 AM
 
56,708 posts, read 81,038,544 times
Reputation: 12548
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
If you are thinking/ looking in upstate NY, try Binghamton NY area.

We are a quiet area, rural, yet have a few attributes.

We have The Maine's Veterans Memorial Arena, The Forum, The Anderson Performing Arts Center at Binghamton University. We have at least two major first run movie chains. We also have several small theaters, differing genres, both live production and motion picture.

We have Junior league baseball and hockey teams, plus with a two year college and the University, plenty of collegiate sports.

We have STAP, the Southern Tier Aids Program, very active in the community. And we have agencies who address substance abuse and a detox center and rehab center, as well as outpatient clinics and therapy.

We have three hospital/health care systems.

We have two malls, the Oakdale mall and the Town Square mall.

We are a stable economy, though minimum wage based, meaning pay rates are from minimum wage ( currently$9.70/hr) to $15 an hour the general rate. Hospital employees make more of course, so can the college and university crews. It may not rake in $250/ticket starting prices, but the economy is STABLE.
You can buy a nice three or four bedroom house for under $150k easily, and most likely can spend less.

Could we support such a theater? I don't know, we support off Broadway shows at the Forum, usually close to, or sold out. But if you really want to make a lot of money in your venue/genre, perhaps you should really consider a large city like New York City.

Check it out, we could use something new, even with all we've got.
Just a suggestion.
There is also an opera and philharmonic orchestra in Binghamton as well. Tri Cities Opera | Binghamton, NY


Binghamton Philharmonic Orchestra | Binghamton, NY


There's also the Roberson Museum: https://www.roberson.org/


There is this association in Downtown Binghamton as well: Welcome -The Gorgeous Washington street Association
First Fridays Upcoming Events - The Gorgeous Washington street

So, it is a smaller metro that can support various art venues.


It has some other companies like BAE Systems, what's left of IBM, i3 Electronics, NYSEG, Lockheed Martin in Owego, Raymond in Greene, Amphenol in Sidney and some other companies in or very close to the metro: Selected Regional Employers | City of Binghamton

There is AA Minor League Baseball and AHL Hockey, along with mid major Division 1 sports(Binghamton U.) in the area for those that like sports.

You can find out about what the city/area offers here: https://bingpop.com/


Or here: Night Life - Binghamton Convention and Visitors Bureau
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2017, 08:26 AM
 
Location: South Beach and DT Raleigh
11,810 posts, read 18,822,626 times
Reputation: 11141
I would think that there would be a lot of theater buildings available in smaller towns across America. I would expect that to be especially true if that town is relatively near a larger town/city that has a multiplex theater with all the latest bells and whistles. I'd also look for towns that have yet to gentrify their cores. These are places that oftentimes have abandoned single screen + stage theater buildings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2017, 08:57 AM
 
56,708 posts, read 81,038,544 times
Reputation: 12548
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I would think that there would be a lot of theater buildings available in smaller towns across America. I would expect that to be especially true if that town is relatively near a larger town/city that has a multiplex theater with all the latest bells and whistles. I'd also look for towns that have yet to gentrify their cores. These are places that oftentimes have abandoned single screen + stage theater buildings.
This gave me an idea related to the Binghamton post/information. This is an old theater that I believe isn't being used and in an area that could be revitalized, but intact: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.1079...8i6656!6m1!1e1


https://www.flickr.com/photos/29574758@N00/10274054504


Looks like it needs some work though: nysLandmarks.com - CAMEO THEATER


There's this one in Auburn NY, which actually has a Downtown that has been revitalizing: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9309...8i6656!6m1!1e1


Auburn Schine Theater - Auburn Schine Theater? Home PageHere's the fact - This is our goal for the Schines Theater


In terms of Auburn, you also have this: Auburn Public Theater | Performance, Cinema, Education & Community


and this professional theater: Merry-Go-Round Playhouse - Finger Lakes Tourism Alliance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2017, 09:58 AM
 
Location: South Beach and DT Raleigh
11,810 posts, read 18,822,626 times
Reputation: 11141
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
This gave me an idea related to the Binghamton post/information. This is an old theater that I believe isn't being used and in an area that could be revitalized, but intact: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.1079...8i6656!6m1!1e1


https://www.flickr.com/photos/29574758@N00/10274054504


Looks like it needs some work though: nysLandmarks.com - CAMEO THEATER


There's this one in Auburn NY, which actually has a Downtown that has been revitalizing: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9309...8i6656!6m1!1e1


Auburn Schine Theater - Auburn Schine Theater? Home PageHere's the fact - This is our goal for the Schines Theater


In terms of Auburn, you also have this: Auburn Public Theater | Performance, Cinema, Education & Community


and this professional theater: Merry-Go-Round Playhouse - Finger Lakes Tourism Alliance
Yep. This is exactly what I meant, especially the apparent size of the one in Binghamton. It looks like its renovation is a scale that's easier to manage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2017, 09:20 AM
 
4,447 posts, read 2,621,737 times
Reputation: 10380
Hmmm, the OP has not returned to say what they think of our postings.

Interesting, Peraps such a narrow field as Binghamton area has turned them off?

Perhaps they were looking for a different city suggestion or has one in mind that they didn't get confirmation on?

Maybe just busy and not able to return?

Hmmm...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top