Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2017, 10:00 AM

2 posts, read 1,196 times

Advertisements

Hi, I currently live in NY but I want to move. The rent is very expensive and the area isnt even that nice/safe (I was born and raised in Queens but now that I have a family I dont like it toi much) I was hoping I could get some advice. I want to move to a state where its good for families (safe, good schools) , affordable housing & good (pay & availability) jobs? But not super boring where theres nothing to do but stay home all the time with the kids.. thanks in advance, just need some ideas. Also it would be nice if it was good for landscaping jobs (not that important but itd be cool). Im open to any state I just want to get out of here. My main thing is to be able to have a decent job that can cover rent and still leave me some money for food & other costs. Right now I make $14 an hr & work overtime but I make barely enough to cover rent. Im young and have no college education as of now (will continue school this year) so its hard for me to find anything that pays a good amount. My husband works in landscaping and wants to start a business too but hes open to other jobs if theres no openings for landscaping currently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 10:32 AM

153 posts, read 196,989 times
Florida. Plethora of jobs in the tourism industry, as it is a revolving door of employees. There is always work to be had in that sector and you do not need a degree to work in the hospitality industry. Look into Orlando, specifically.

Landscaping is big down there since the weather is conducive for it. Check it out.

Also, you won't be in much of a culture shock once moving down there since the majority of transplants who live in Florida (Central and South FL) are from New York.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:40 AM

93,196 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Maybe look into Upstate first. I know of a landscaping company with openings in the Syracuse area. He could also snowplow during the winter, if he would be interested.

What kind of work would you be looking for?

Cost of living is much lower and you can find safe areas with relatively affordable housing in solid to very good school districts as well.

Old 06-01-2017, 06:11 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbuggy View Post
Hi, I currently live in NY but I want to move. The rent is very expensive and the area isnt even that nice/safe (I was born and raised in Queens but now that I have a family I dont like it toi much) I was hoping I could get some advice. I want to move to a state where its good for families (safe, good schools) , affordable housing & good (pay & availability) jobs? But not super boring where theres nothing to do but stay home all the time with the kids.. thanks in advance, just need some ideas. Also it would be nice if it was good for landscaping jobs (not that important but itd be cool). Im open to any state I just want to get out of here. My main thing is to be able to have a decent job that can cover rent and still leave me some money for food & other costs. Right now I make $14 an hr & work overtime but I make barely enough to cover rent. Im young and have no college education as of now (will continue school this year) so its hard for me to find anything that pays a good amount. My husband works in landscaping and wants to start a business too but hes open to other jobs if theres no openings for landscaping currently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaboy92 View Post
Florida. Plethora of jobs in the tourism industry, as it is a revolving door of employees. There is always work to be had in that sector and you do not need a degree to work in the hospitality industry. Look into Orlando, specifically.

Landscaping is big down there since the weather is conducive for it. Check it out.

Also, you won't be in much of a culture shock once moving down there since the majority of transplants who live in Florida (Central and South FL) are from New York.
That's an absolutely terrible recommendation. Orlando is NOT affordable and does NOT offer good salaries or job opportunity unless a professional in fields like engineering, health care or IT (even then salaries are subpar).

The average one bedroom apartment in Orlando rents for around $1000 a month and the average salary (median per capita) is just under 26K per year. Landscapers are a dime a dozen in Florida and the average wage is around $11 an hour.

If looking to move out of NY to somewhere more affordable and warmer, with decent opportunity for starting a business or good job availability for landscaping (along with decent pay relative to the cost of living), have safer neighborhoods to live and for good schools check out places like Myrtle Beach-Conway SC, Charleston-Mt Pleasant-Summerville SC and the Savannah GA-Hilton Head SC area. All are booming with new construction and development requiring landscaping services, are a good bit more affordable, have mild winters and are desirable places to live.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:13 AM

93,196 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
That's an absolutely terrible recommendation. Orlando is NOT affordable and does NOT offer good salaries or job opportunity unless a professional in fields like engineering, health care or IT (even then salaries are subpar).

The average one bedroom apartment in Orlando rents for around $1000 a month and the average salary (median per capita) is just under 26K per year. Landscapers are a dime a dozen in Florida and the average wage is around $11 an hour.

If looking to move out of NY to somewhere more affordable and warmer, with decent opportunity for starting a business or good job availability for landscaping (along with decent pay relative to the cost of living), have safer neighborhoods to live and for good schools check out places like Myrtle Beach-Conway SC, Charleston-Mt Pleasant-Summerville SC and the Savannah GA-Hilton Head SC area. All are booming with new construction and development requiring landscaping services, are a good bit more affordable, have mild winters and are desirable places to live.
In the bolded area, look into school zones like Carolina Forest and North Myrtle Beach(All are a part of the Horry County SD). Keep pay in mind, as while the COL is lower, pay can be quite low in the area.

Old 06-01-2017, 02:29 PM

2 posts, read 1,196 times
Thank you guys so much for your input! I really appreciate the ideas & help

Old 06-04-2017, 01:57 PM

130 posts, read 122,873 times
Get a job before move,

Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas,

https://www.bls.gov/web/metro/laummtrk.htm

Old 06-04-2017, 02:55 PM

707 posts, read 749,225 times
Try looking in Texas. Good schools, plenty of jobs and colleges; some cities there are cheaper than others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.