U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2017, 11:43 PM

52 posts, read 31,295 times

Advertisements

Having lived in Miami, FL for 3 years, a city which I personally think lacks of opportunities in terms of jobs, etc., I ask myself this question everyday.

What city in the USA nowadays offer the most jobs, economic opportunities, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 07:14 AM

29,955 posts, read 27,459,781 times
This will mainly depend on your field, but cities like NYC, Chicago, SF/Bay Area, DC, Boston, Dallas/Fort Worth, Houston, Atlanta, Seattle, Minneapolis, Denver, etc. are good places to start.

Old 06-02-2017, 01:11 PM

482 posts, read 252,457 times
Chicago, Dallas, Houston and Minneapolis. Those are the places I can think of that have large enough economies to easily absorb large numbers of new workers from many different fields, but still maintain reasonably high wages and reasonable enough costs of living that the jobs in those cities alone are enough to help a person get on their feet (unlike on the coasts, where it seems like a well-paying job plus an inheritance is required for anyone to be able to get comfortable). Depending on a number of factors there may be other places that are better for you specifically, but those are the default cities I'd feel comfortable recommending to anyone without knowing their circumstances.

If cost of living is not a factor I would add NYC to the very top of the list, and to a lesser extend also add Boston, D.C. and SF Bay. The first four cities I listed are places where I believe poor people can most easily rise to the middle or upper middle class; the latter four are places where people who are already upper class have the best chance to take the final steps towards becoming economic elites. In other words, poor people have to go to thriving major cities in the Midwest and in the South to build their fortunes, while economically advantaged people have to go to the coasts to really cash in.

Just my two cents ...

Old 06-02-2017, 02:40 PM

21,220 posts, read 30,443,839 times
There are plenty of options beyond the "beaten to death" half dozen choices usually floated around on this forum. NYC, Boston, Washington DC, Baltimore, Raleigh-Durham, Charlotte, Atlanta, Jacksonville, Nashville, Houston, Austin, Dallas, Chicago, Cincinnati, Columbus, Indianapolis, St Louis, Kansas City, Des Moines, Omaha, Minneapolis, Denver, Salt Lake City, San Francisco Bay area and Seattle are all viable for most with any kind of skill set in my opinion.

Old 06-02-2017, 02:42 PM

29,955 posts, read 27,459,781 times
Oh yeah, definitely should have mentioned Salt Lake City. I've read more than one article lately about how they are hurting for workers.

Old 06-04-2017, 02:00 PM

125 posts, read 67,829 times
Look at Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas,

The latest update:

https://www.bls.gov/web/metro/laummtrk.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or