Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2017, 04:47 PM

2 posts, read 1,605 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Utah and I love the scenery, weather, and hiking. However, I am not Mormon and I enjoy having a drink every once in a while. It's also not very diverse. I never intended to live here long-term and I am thinking about where I would like to live next.

I'm wondering if people have any suggestions for cities that meet most of the following conditions:

- Sunny
- Tech jobs (specifically web development)
- Nice scenery (trees, hills, parks, architecture etc.)
- Diverse (especially asian and hispanic)
- Outdoor activities (hiking, biking, snowboarding, surfing, SUP)
- Near mountains and/or the beach
- Low taxes and cost of living
- Low traffic
- Art scene
- Craft beer scene
- Good Asian and Mexican food

Either urban or suburban is fine as long as it meets most of the above criteria. The most important conditions are that it is sunny, it is aesthetically pleasing, and that I can find a web development job. One thing that I like about Utah and I would be looking for elsewhere is that people are friendly, family-oriented, and active.

Obviously no one city will meet all of these criteria. Besides the traffic and taxes, I'm guessing California is probably my best bet. From what I know right now I'm thinking about San Diego or Sacramento. I actually lived in Rocklin for a while when I was in elementary school and I loved it back then. I'm interested in hearing about options outside of California as well. Phoenix and San Antonio are a couple of places I'm considering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 06:33 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
Irvine is probably overall what you're looking for, but it isn't cheap

Old 06-11-2017, 06:46 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
San Antonio isn't near mountains or the beach, and after living in Salt Lake City, the Hill Country will seem very underwhelming.

Old 06-11-2017, 07:08 PM

570 posts, read 560,416 times
What about Raleigh​, North Carolina?

Old 06-11-2017, 07:13 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,326,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicAries View Post
No "real" mountains in Raleigh, but it would have decent proximity to both the Mountains & Ocean. Asheville, NC isn't too far, and of course the Outer Banks aren't too far either. It also checks off decent tech industry, and has the "triangle" near by as well

Old 06-11-2017, 08:08 PM

2 posts, read 1,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Irvine is probably overall what you're looking for, but it isn't cheap
Looks like the salaries are pretty high too, though. What is the culture like there? I like the arts, the outdoors, and genuine people. Nightlife isn't too important to me but I do like going out for a beer every once in a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
San Antonio isn't near mountains or the beach, and after living in Salt Lake City, the Hill Country will seem very underwhelming.
None of the conditions are hard and fast rules, but Texas does seem a little flat. I was raised in Michigan though, so pretty much anything's an improvement. What's wrong with the Hill Country? It looks pretty in pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicAries View Post
Raleigh seems nice, but I tend to prefer the western US.

Old 06-11-2017, 08:43 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,326,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylevdr View Post
Looks like the salaries are pretty high too, though. What is the culture like there? I like the arts, the outdoors, and genuine people. Nightlife isn't too important to me but I do like going out for a beer every once in a while.

None of the conditions are hard and fast rules, but Texas does seem a little flat. I was raised in Michigan though, so pretty much anything's an improvement. What's wrong with the Hill Country? It looks pretty in pictures.

Raleigh seems nice, but I tend to prefer the western US.
For the "Tech areas" on the West Coast, good luck with your low cost of living wish...it's just not there..

San Jose, San Francisco, Oakland, Seattle, etc...are all expensive.

Old 06-11-2017, 10:44 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylevdr View Post
Compared to Utah and Colorado, most of Texas is as flat as a sheet of plywood.

A few reasons why I think you might be underwhelmed by the Hill Country:

1) Unimpressive vertical relief. Most of the hills are only a few hundred feet above surrounding terrain.

2) The climate is not conducive to hiking for about 1/3 of the year. San Antonio and Austin are considerably hotter and more humid than SLC. It'll regularly be over 90 from late May til late September, and it won't cool off into the 50s and 60s at night.

3) The areas of the Hill Country that I've seen are not heavily forested. There are trees, yes, but they won't offer much in the way of shade or cooler temps.

4) Texas has very little open land. Roughly 90% of the state is privately owned. A large chunk of the state's public land is out in Far West Texas, several hours from San Antonio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.