U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 06:08 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,127,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Atlanta has a pretty high cost of living.
Not really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2017, 06:54 AM

21,202 posts, read 30,404,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
No it doesn't...Atlanta is cheap. Sure everyone can't afford Buckhead, but the metro is right in line with Charlotte, a hair more expensive.

Forbes put Atlanta as the 15th best city last year where you check stretches the furthest. That is higher than Charlotte, Raleigh, Dallas, Houston. And I've seen quite a few publications saying young people are flocking to it. Goes to show how much these publications vary all over the place.

It has top 5 corporate presence, pro sports and local pride, events and festivals non stop, great salaries, recreation, gentrification, urban corridors, etc. It also has the most used public transit in the southeast. Going by this list, Atlanta's biggest anchor would be commute traffic, though that doesnt stop Austin, Houston, and few other cities.
Atlanta is a bargain with it's housing costs, salaries (for those with any kind of skills), massive diversity of job market and long list of amenities/things to do. City-Data lists it's cost of living score at a 98, two ticks under the US average of 100.

Old 06-04-2017, 06:57 AM

Atlanta and Minneapolis are 2 of the best places to start your career IMO.

Old 06-04-2017, 08:16 AM

7,590 posts, read 4,014,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
Not really.
Relative to many cities, the housing is much more expensive.

This list is putting a big emphasis on cost of living.

Old 06-04-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:

Ok. But relative to a 300 lb man, a 250lb man is skinny. Doesn't make it so.

Atlanta, for the size of metro and corresponding employment and cultural opportunities, is an absolute bargain.

Old 06-04-2017, 09:44 AM

The cost of living is lower in other cities. That appears to make it so.

My brother lives in Atlanta, I have a good idea of what housing costs are there.

Your 'cultural opportunities' point is a subjective thing. In my view, you don't have to live in one of the most populated metros to have cultural opportunities.

As far as employment goes, no person is guaranteed the job they want at a salary they want in any metro. You have to beat out a certain number of people for any job.

My father worked a nuclear power plant in a small town for 30 years and made a great salary in a very low cost of living area with little traffic.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 06-04-2017 at 09:58 AM..

Old 06-04-2017, 09:45 AM

5,122 posts, read 3,889,393 times
Cost of living is much more than housing. Even then, if 100 is the average, Atlanta walks that on a tightrope. A couple points higher or lower, depending where you look.

Still cheaper or equal to a few cities already on the list.

Old 06-04-2017, 09:57 AM

2,097 posts, read 1,528,746 times
Quote:

It's not an expensive city overall, there's no way around it. Compared to many large cities it's cheap.

There's a reason many are disagreeing with you. You're wrong

Old 06-04-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
It's not an expensive city overall, there's no way around it. Compared to many large cities it's cheap.

There's a reason many are disagreeing with you. You're wrong
Um, I'm not wrong. You are deciding to compare it other large cities. Many people don't want to live in big cities. Many people prefer to live smaller metros.

I've never said that it is expensive compared to other large cities, especially outside of the south. You are trying to debate something that I never said.

I think the housing is overpriced in Atlanta. That's my view on it. My brother agrees. I'm not trying to persuade you to agree with me.

Old 06-04-2017, 10:28 AM

2,097 posts, read 1,528,746 times
Quote:
Um, I'm not wrong. You are deciding to compare it other large cities. Many people don't want to live in big cities. Many people prefer to live smaller metros.

I've never said that it is expensive compared to other large cities, especially outside of the south. You are trying to debate something that I never said.

I think the housing is overpriced in Atlanta. That's my view on it. My brother agrees. I'm not trying to persuade you to agree with me.
Feeling it is overpriced, doesn't actually make it so. The typical COL index is based on a scale, and 100 is the "average". Atlanta falls right at the 99-101 mark (depending which website you use). So not only are people saying it isn't expensive (because it's reasonable) statistics also back that up. Atlanta is affordable for most people with decent paying jobs/careers, no way around it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or