U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 11:24 AM

7,583 posts, read 4,003,555 times

Advertisements

Ok. I never said Atlanta isn't 'affordable'. I said that in my view the housing is overpriced. Atlanta is relatively more expensive than other places in the south, other than certain coastal areas. No way around that.

If you are pointing out that Atlanta is about average relative to other places, that does not conflict what what I said.

My original point is it isn't surprising Atlanta isn't on this specific list given cost of living is 50 percent of the ranking criteria and they only list 25 cities. Another 7.5 percent of the ranking is based on average commute time.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 06-04-2017 at 11:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2017, 12:14 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,884,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
Feeling it is overpriced, doesn't actually make it so.
This.

Old 06-04-2017, 12:58 PM

4,485 posts, read 2,670,613 times
A few misc points:

If you can live well without a car, that can overcome a lot of difference in rent. This is less common in your 30s than in your 20s, but either way it's a consideration for many people. The $150,000-earning 27-year-old with no car is common in the top tech and financial hubs.

More to the central point, the best city isn't the "best" because of how some generic stats align. Your profession needs to be in demand, at the level you want, with the opportunities you want. Maybe that means the ability to find a logistics management job that pays over $50,000 with housing less than four times that. Or maybe it's that the city is the best in the country for publishing and you want to rise to the top in the top city. Or maybe you want a six-figure tech job in a city where if you leave the first job, many others will be hiring too, with a promotion likely.

Old 06-04-2017, 01:31 PM

7 posts, read 4,337 times
I desperately needed a thread like this as a guy in his mid 20s wanting a change of scenery soon but the issue I have is with places like Knoxville and Gainesville on the list. Doesn't the fact that these are college towns make them terrible for anyone not in college or a college student?

My experience has been terrible in college towns and I have often found that if you aren't a frat boy who is well connected, it is tough to have much dating success there or make friends.

Old 06-04-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandarhind View Post
I desperately needed a thread like this as a guy in his mid 20s wanting a change of scenery soon but the issue I have is with places like Knoxville and Gainesville on the list. Doesn't the fact that these are college towns make them terrible for anyone not in college or a college student?

My experience has been terrible in college towns and I have often found that if you aren't a frat boy who is well connected, it is tough to have much dating success there or make friends.
If that's the case then you wouldn't like half the cities on that list. Austin, Syracuse, Columbus, Fayetteville, Nashville, Lubbock, Raleigh, Durham, Lexington, and even Pittsburgh, Dayton and Cincinnati are all "college towns." That's 14 cities on that list of 25, or over half the list.

College towns get that stereotype, but it depends on the economy and surrounding communities. Duke dominates Durham, but the city still has a healthy tech, health, and research economy. Ohio State has spread it's tentacles all over Columbus, but it probably has the strongest economy in Ohio.

I saw in another thread you asked about best cities to start bartending. Well college towns are a good start, especially during football and basketball season as drinking is all you really do. No need to go somewhere like Vegas where people from all over the world be coming to try their hand in that.

Old 06-04-2017, 03:26 PM

7 posts, read 4,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
If that's the case then you wouldn't like half the cities on that list. Austin, Syracuse, Columbus, Fayetteville, Nashville, Lubbock, Raleigh, Durham, Lexington, and even Pittsburgh, Dayton and Cincinnati are all "college towns." That's 14 cities on that list of 25, or over half the list.

College towns get that stereotype, but it depends on the economy and surrounding communities. Duke dominates Durham, but the city still has a healthy tech, health, and research economy. Ohio State has spread it's tentacles all over Columbus, but it probably has the strongest economy in Ohio.

I saw in another thread you asked about best cities to start bartending. Well college towns are a good start, especially during football and basketball season as drinking is all you really do. No need to go somewhere like Vegas where people from all over the world be coming to try their hand in that.

Austin and Nashville are not really "college towns", they're big cities that happen to have schools in them. I doubt everything in Austin revolves around UTA and I doubt everything around Nashville revolves around Vandy. The problem is with a town like Knoxville or Athens, most of the stuff revolves around the university and the townies are often very poor and sketchy.

Another issue with bartending in college towns is that fraternities have a monopoly on that sort of thing. Where I went to school, you had to be in Greek Life to work at the bars because bar owners were former Greek Life alumni who only gave bartending jobs to people in their frats.

Old 06-04-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandarhind View Post
Austin and Nashville are not really "college towns", they're big cities that happen to have schools in them. I doubt everything in Austin revolves around UTA and I doubt everything around Nashville revolves around Vandy. The problem is with a town like Knoxville or Athens, most of the stuff revolves around the university and the townies are often very poor and sketchy.

Another issue with bartending in college towns is that fraternities have a monopoly on that sort of thing. Where I went to school, you had to be in Greek Life to work at the bars because bar owners were former Greek Life alumni who only gave bartending jobs to people in their frats.
If you go into the Austin vs KC thread, theyre debating why Austin doesnt have or want pro sports, which is true. UT sports is ingrained in Austin. People are satisfied with Longhorn football. The UT culture is ingrained in Austin. It's not a "town" with 1 million people, but it's a college town. Nashville lesser since Vandy is the only one with sports and is more academic focused, but Vandy is still apart of Nashville's culture, and being in SEC country only helps.

Knoxville is not poor and sketchy. That shows how much you know about it. I don't know where you've been, because I've never seen any kind of monopoly by the frat bros. As someone who recently graduated college, that just makes no sense to me. I don't think I've ever met a bartender who was in the frat. Most of them have been pretty young women, still pretty older women, GDI guys, and hipsters. Frat bros go to the liquor store and get kegs.

I was just telling you. You were calling out Knoxville and Gainesville, but said you liked that list. Well, half that list is college oriented so if you think frats own the bar scene, then don't go to any of those places. Don't go to Vegas or Miami or New Orleans either. Go to a regular city that has a regular bar scene. You won't have to compete with the anti trust frat bros or the suave mixologist from Spain with the tight shirt.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:21 PM

3 posts, read 1,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
If you go into the Austin vs KC thread, theyre debating why Austin doesnt have or want pro sports, which is true. UT sports is ingrained in Austin. People are satisfied with Longhorn football. The UT culture is ingrained in Austin. It's not a "town" with 1 million people, but it's a college town. Nashville lesser since Vandy is the only one with sports and is more academic focused, but Vandy is still apart of Nashville's culture, and being in SEC country only helps.

Knoxville is not poor and sketchy. That shows how much you know about it. I don't know where you've been, because I've never seen any kind of monopoly by the frat bros. As someone who recently graduated college, that just makes no sense to me. I don't think I've ever met a bartender who was in the frat. Most of them have been pretty young women, still pretty older women, GDI guys, and hipsters. Frat bros go to the liquor store and get kegs.

I was just telling you. You were calling out Knoxville and Gainesville, but said you liked that list. Well, half that list is college oriented so if you think frats own the bar scene, then don't go to any of those places. Don't go to Vegas or Miami or New Orleans either. Go to a regular city that has a regular bar scene. You won't have to compete with the anti trust frat bros or the suave mixologist from Spain with the tight shirt.
I went to school in Athens, GA and graduated a couple years ago, almost all of the good bars were run by fraternities and you had to be in a frat to get a chance to work there. Most bartending jobs were taken by frat boys and sorority girls, no one else really worked at those bars. Not familiar with Gainesville or Knoxville but Athens was most definitely like that.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haileysnavidad View Post
I went to school in Athens, GA and graduated a couple years ago, almost all of the good bars were run by fraternities and you had to be in a frat to get a chance to work there. Most bartending jobs were taken by frat boys and sorority girls, no one else really worked at those bars. Not familiar with Gainesville or Knoxville but Athens was most definitely like that.
Shame. Glad that hasn't been my experience or anyone I know.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:53 PM

29,940 posts, read 27,375,616 times
IMO, cities like Austin, Nashville, and Columbus are way too big to be considered "college towns." I don't even use that term when it comes to cities like Knoxville, Columbia, Lexington, Baton Rouge, etc, although there's more of a case there. To me, places like Gainesville, Chapel Hill, Oxford, Charlottesville, Athens, etc are true college towns as they revolve nearly 100% around their major universities with little other industry in place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or